CyberQ vs. Stoker?

Discussion about all kinds of Mechanical and Electronic Smoker Controls
Atama
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member

CyberQ vs. Stoker?

Post by Atama » October 17th, 2015, 12:05 am

Well, my smoker should be done in the next few weeks, and now I am starting to think about the controls. I would like to get as many opinions as possible on this. Which one would you go with? Why? Is there a difference in build quality? I have heard that the Stoker has TERRIBLE customer service, but I am intrigued by the configuration options it has. So lets hear all the observations and opinions about these units!

CaliforniaSmoke
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Re: CyberQ vs. Stoker?

Post by CaliforniaSmoke » October 17th, 2015, 1:19 pm

I'm interested in this too -- I'm going to try my new smoker without a digital control, but if I have trouble hitting my temps I want to know the options are.

======
My Blog on stuff I make: http://www.mcglynnonmaking.com

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 18th, 2015, 10:02 am

There's been talk about this in the past. I don't have any real experience myself.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » October 19th, 2015, 8:01 am

Since these are vertical cabinets, I can relate my limited experiences and opinion. We assume that we know that these controllers turn a blower on and hope to achieve a consistent cook temperature. And with a long burn time wanted, these devices have proven themselves. Once I'd found this out, in pursuit of excellence, I figured it's had to be the best way to go.

On the first 15 burn and cook cycles with my large gravity feed I discovered a neat little fact. With the design of draft thru the cooker, it allows that ball valve on the end controlling the air intake, to have a range of operation well within the consistency of a controller .
Temps vary as little as 3 degrees and most times I cook at about 240 and it will not vary from 240 for 5-6 hours by even 2 degrees. Once the ball valve position is set, a very slight tap to open or close it is all it takes for a 5 degree change.

I bought all the parts to build my on pid controller....it works perfectly with regards to on/off cycling. I have still not installed it since I cannot be more satisfied using just the ball valve. Whether or not it might overshoot temp before shut down or allow it to cool too much before turn on is something I don't yet know. I'll eventually place it in service but currently... I get great results without the complexity and I can sit in the house or the yard and remotely monitor temps with the iGrill 2 or ET-733.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » October 19th, 2015, 7:09 pm

I have a stoker and have used it for about six years with great results. I can't say how it compares to CyberQ as I've never seen one.
I use the Stoker on a Weber Smokey Mountain and a modified Weber kettle. I had to use it a few times before the software zeroed in on getting the temps constant without over shooting. The alarms for CC temps and meat temps work great and the temps stay within a degree or two of the 225 I usualy cook at.
This has all been with charcoal, I've just finished a reverse flow made from a propane tank and will be using wood only, I hope it works as well on a stick burner.
As for their customer service, I've tried to bring up their website many times in the past few months but only get a'"failed to connect" message. If anyone knows how to get in touch with them I'd like you telling me, I need to buy some more probes and such.
Al

Al Miles

Dallasmcc

Post by Dallasmcc » January 24th, 2018, 10:12 am

I have a FireBoard controller that is WiFi and I like it a lot but can’t tell you about any other brands

YTQBBQINC
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Yummy Tummy BBQ

Post by YTQBBQINC » January 24th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Both sides of my smoker are run by bbq guru’s. DigiQ on the rotisserie side and cyber q on the shelf side. They both do a good job of running my smoker. I don’t have any experience with stoker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Smoker Controls. Mechanical and electronic”