Controller for a mini

Discussion about all kinds of Mechanical and Electronic Smoker Controls
jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Controller for a mini

Post by jsbm » July 1st, 2019, 6:20 pm

I just got the plans for the mini gravity feed and was wondering what controller to get. I’ve done a little research and was leaning towards the lavarck or the cyberq. Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks Jeff

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: Controller for a mini

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 1st, 2019, 7:41 pm

Take a look at the heater meter. If you have some technical ability it will get you a massive amount of flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » July 2nd, 2019, 6:52 am

The HM community and the developer are pretty responsive to questions, problem reports, etc. Certainly not the most economical, but one of the most flexible available.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » July 2nd, 2019, 9:00 am

I have the CyberQ. It's the only one I have any experience with but I can tell you it performs well. I did learn the hard way that it only runs 2.4 ghz so if your home wireless is 5 ghz you won't be able to use that feature.

I am intrigued by the heater meter stuff and may give that a shot the next time I need one.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » July 2nd, 2019, 11:45 am

@mp4 (okay, and others,) I'm going to have my HM cranked up in 10 days, if you want to see the displays remotely.

Realistically, 2.4gHz is just fine for these devices, they should be low bandwidth devices as well as having a longer range.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » July 2nd, 2019, 5:30 pm

I’m researching hm and it looks like a good candidate. I’m just a little hesitant since it’s another mini build. Pun intended.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 2nd, 2019, 6:18 pm

I sent this to you in a pm, but I will post it here too for general information.

You will need a windows machine to load the sd card with the operating system.

Heatermeter 4.2 or 4.3? I don’t want to have to solder a bunch of resisters and diodes.

Click here : Heater Meter 4.3

Raspberry pi. Which one?

Click here : rasbery pie 3 b+

What meat probes?

Click here : Recommended Probes
Click here : What I have

What temperature probe?

Click here : I use this one

What fan?

bought it with the included fan

Case for it?

I had a case printed by a friend, Click here : but this one is the same thing.

Did I miss anything?

Click here : Enclosure and adapter for the fan. Along with a servo and a Click here : Cat5e Jack.

A Click here : network cable to connect the two.

Click here : Micro SD card.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » July 2nd, 2019, 8:12 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 6:18 pm
I sent this to you in a pm, but I will post it here too for general information.

You will need a windows machine to load the sd card with the operating system.

Heatermeter 4.2 or 4.3? I don’t want to have to solder a bunch of resisters and diodes.

Click here : Heater Meter 4.3

Raspberry pi. Which one?

Click here : rasbery pie 3 b+

What meat probes?

Click here : Recommended Probes
Click here : What I have

What temperature probe?

Click here : I use this one

What fan?

bought it with the included fan

Case for it?

I had a case printed by a friend, Click here : but this one is the same thing.

Did I miss anything?

Click here : Enclosure and adapter for the fan. Along with a servo and a Click here : Cat5e Jack.

A Click here : network cable to connect the two.

Click here : Micro SD card.

Thanks really informative. I’m looking for a controller also but not sure which one to get.

How hard would it be for a person with no experience to put a HM together. Also not sure if it would be cost effective for me to ship the parts out to the UK considering the import duties included? How reliable is the HM?

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » July 3rd, 2019, 7:25 am

A HeaterMeter isn't difficult to assemble *IF* you have electronic soldering skills and some knowledge of components. Bryan's directions are pretty good, but people have been known to get components in the wrong location, polarity wrong, etc. No, I'm not trying to scare you, but if you've never soldered anything electronic, it'd be a good idea to enlist some help.

As far as reliability, I'd say at least fairly reliable. I soldered mine up and it fired up gracefully on the first try, I haven't gone back for any reason to the board level. One of the issues that can contribute to reliability is the power supply, I'd suggest at least a 2 amp supply. Obviously, you don't want it to overheat, or get [too] wet.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 3rd, 2019, 7:44 am

BurnBern wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:12 pm

Thanks really informative. I’m looking for a controller also but not sure which one to get.

How hard would it be for a person with no experience to put a HM together. Also not sure if it would be cost effective for me to ship the parts out to the UK considering the import duties included? How reliable is the HM?
I would purchase the already assembled one unless you have experience soldering. At that point it is pretty easy to put the pieces together and install it in the case. I have not had any issues with it. I have had a probe go haywire and fail, but that has more to do with the quality of the probe and how I handle them.

Reason's to get a heatermeter:

1. you want something different from what you can buy off amazon
2. you like the idea of knowing exactly how something works
3. you feel the ability to use multiple and different probes and calibrate each is beneficial
4. you need to cook away from your primary residence and still want the wireless capability
5. you like to tinker with electronics and web interfaces

Reasons not to get a heatermeter:

1. you have the default password on your router which came from your internet provider or the store
2. the last time you messed with electronics you had to go to radio shack to buy a vacuum tube
3. you have trouble understanding how the electronics you currently own work and you have to get assistance

Pretty much its a bit of a project, but there are a ton of instructions and help. I think the hardest part for a non-techie is maybe logging into the unit to calibrate probes and adjusting the PID settings if the default isn't working like you want. The putting it together is very simple. It only fits together one way.

BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by BurnBern » July 3rd, 2019, 7:40 pm

Thanks to all for the replies I’m not a tech person at all. I struggle to install a car radio.

I just came across this post on another site about Thermaworks new update https://www.grillseeker.com/2019/07/the ... ermometer/

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 7:44 am

I would purchase the already assembled one unless you have experience soldering. At that point it is pretty easy to put the pieces together and install it in the case. I have not had any issues with it. I have had a probe go haywire and fail, but that has more to do with the quality of the probe and how I handle them.

Reason's to get a heatermeter:

1. you want something different from what you can buy off amazon
2. you like the idea of knowing exactly how something works
3. you feel the ability to use multiple and different probes and calibrate each is beneficial
4. you need to cook away from your primary residence and still want the wireless capability
5. you like to tinker with electronics and web interfaces

Reasons not to get a heatermeter:

1. you have the default password on your router which came from your internet provider or the store
2. the last time you messed with electronics you had to go to radio shack to buy a vacuum tube
3. you have trouble understanding how the electronics you currently own work and you have to get assistance

Pretty much its a bit of a project, but there are a ton of instructions and help. I think the hardest part for a non-techie is maybe logging into the unit to calibrate probes and adjusting the PID settings if the default isn't working like you want. The putting it together is very simple. It only fits together one way.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 3rd, 2019, 7:51 pm

Yeah that's the closest to the heatermeter I have seen. Thermo works is a good brand from what I know. It still lacks in flexibility and functionality, but it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smokerbuild
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Smokerbuild » July 22nd, 2019, 6:10 am

I bought a FireBoard with the 20 cfm fan to run in my Mini GF. It’s great. Connects to WiFi so no matter where I am I can see what’s going on in the Cooking chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » August 1st, 2019, 5:25 pm

I pulled the trigger and ordered the HeaterMeter. Now I need to get the smoker done to use it when it gets here.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 1st, 2019, 11:05 pm

Don’t you just hate it when you get yourself into such a predicament!

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » August 2nd, 2019, 8:09 am

I just tracked it and it’s out for delivery today. I know what you mean Dirtytires. I had the hinges, latches, and gasket before the first piece of steel was cut.

bvbull200
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ

Post by bvbull200 » August 4th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Congrats on the purchase and the nearly finished build!

I'm searching for controllers, too, for an upcoming build.

Why did you settle on the HeaterMeter?

I appreciate the list above about why to get a HM and I love to tinker and have an intimate knowledge of how stuff works, but I'm more concerned with the functionality side for this.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Can't wait to see yours in action.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » August 5th, 2019, 8:24 am

Functionality for a HM is at least equivalent, if not ahead, of a lot of the commercial offerings. It offers a huge amount of customization, and Bryan Mayland, the gent behind the HM, is very responsive along with a pretty dedicated community. Bryan's been known to roll custom debugging images for discovered issues. You have a lot of options for fan & damper assemblies as well.

I have one on my double pan. I'd be hard pressed to run without it now. There are several other folks here with HMs as well.

jsbm
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jsbm » August 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm

I chose the hm for its features and the recommendations on this thread. A big plus is I’m under $300 for everything that’s needed to run it including probes.

bjustison
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by bjustison » August 5th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I like my CyberQ Cloud with the Pit Bull fan on my Mini GF. I currently don't need more than three meat probes. It's not the cheapest option however.

Return to “Smoker Controls. Mechanical and electronic”