Oil instead of paint.

Talk about what kind of paint is used on smokers and how to apply it.
ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Oil instead of paint.

Post by ntjones » May 4th, 2019, 9:09 am

I’ve heard of some people using some sort of oil instead of pain on the outside of there smokers and firebox. I’ve also heard that even with high temp paint it seems to burn off over time. Does anyone no what type of oil to use on a cooker and how to apply it? I think it’s nice to leave an old propane tank smoker without paint. Kinda like a rustic look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Oil instead of paint.

Post by Big T » May 4th, 2019, 9:58 am

I'm on another forum and a lot of guys wipe the outside down with the same cooking oil that they use to season the inside. I haven't tried it but they claim that it works very well but it has to be redone regularly. From the pictures I've seen it doesn't really look like it's coated with anything so it must be a really thin coat. All of their cookers are painted with high temp paint and the oil is over top of that.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 4th, 2019, 10:08 am

I have coated my smaller smoker with vegetable oil over the factory paint. It burns off of the fire box fairly fast. One downside is dirt and leaves will stick to parts of the oil if they do not dry out and season up right away as the oil will be sticky. the colder spots on the smoker will not dry the same as the hotter spots.Overall it's not a bad way to go but it requires work to keep it looking good. My big trailer rig smoker is painted and that paint is starting to rust through on the fire box. Rust is going to happen and I just do my best to repaint what I can and not worry about it looking like it's been used.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 4th, 2019, 11:40 am

I used a vegetable oil spray(PAM) on my old offset firebox. Just sprayed it on and did my best to wipe lightly into an even coat. This worked ok but, as mentioned, burned off after a use or two—I gave up. If you wanted to keep it that way, I would make it part of your routine and just give the entire pit a quick spray/wipe while it is still warm after cooking.

Keep in mind, you will get a lot of dripping oil on the ground as well. We put new pavers in and I made a mess of them in short order.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 4th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Thanks guys for all your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCTRK118
beginner
beginner

Post by LCTRK118 » June 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm