use primer or not?

Talk about what kind of paint is used on smokers and how to apply it.
Wicked4x4
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: 80 gallon RF
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...soon I hope!

use primer or not?

Post by Wicked4x4 » July 25th, 2013, 10:20 am

i know, seems like a dumb question...
i have read a lot of these paint threads, along with solo's paint thesis, i have not found a definitive answer.

so i bought the rustoleum high temp rattle cans to get ready to paint the smoker soon. went to home depot and they don't have high temp primer. two of the home depot 'paint experts' proceed to tell me that painting raw metal for bbq or smoker with high temp paint does not require a primer because it is such high quality paint which will adhere to the metal and bake on with the heat. now they sounded committed and sure of themselves in their statements, but i'm leery that they were talking out there asses. they also said that primer will bubble up in the heat and ruin the paint job, so i pulled out my smartphone and said 'why does rustoleum make a high temp primer, 2000 degrees?'...they just said i would not need it.

can anyone confirm that they are right or wrong in this point?
thanks

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: use primer or not?

Post by The Czar » July 25th, 2013, 11:43 am

Sorry to disappoint you… I cannot neither confirm nor deny this statement… But personally I do use primer… Lowe's sells a high temp primer… And then paint it....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » July 25th, 2013, 12:09 pm

From strictly the performance side of things primers can be a definite plus. Their whole purpose is to enhance the bond of the exterior paint to the surface being covered. That being said if you fail to clean the metal of oils on the surface the primer will fail and your final coat will fall off with it. If you do not use high enough quality primer (high heat tolerance), the primer will burn off and take your exterior coating with it. However, if you correctly prep the surface and you apply the good stuff. (let the primer set up well before top coating) When you do apply the final top coat you should see a smoother finished surface with far less risk of fish eyes or dimpling developing from contamination.
Primers - Not Mandatory but worth the investment if done right IMHO

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Wicked4x4
Title: 80 gallon RF
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...soon I hope!

Post by Wicked4x4 » July 26th, 2013, 11:27 am

thanks solo.
i knew i could count on you chiming in on this.
i'm ordering up my primer online right now. i can't wait to paint this thing...but still got a bit of finishing details to do on it before i'm there.

Return to “Paint and How To's”