AKA- Pellet Poopers
cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pig Love BBQ

Re: Staring the new build "Smokin Reefer"

Post by cdarnell » November 15th, 2013, 10:53 pm

got it fired up to season as I need to cook some brisket Saturday night, still need to paint it but the rest is done
Attachments
20131115_203105.jpg
20131115_203110.jpg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 15th, 2013, 11:39 pm

:LG: :beer: :LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 16th, 2013, 8:00 am

That is very nice.

What did you have to do with the door? I'm guessing you had to strip the inside and add insulation and a new inner panel to keep it from getting too hot on the outside.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » November 16th, 2013, 8:51 pm

:LG:

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » November 17th, 2013, 8:14 pm

:LG:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » November 18th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:That is very nice.

What did you have to do with the door? I'm guessing you had to strip the inside and add insulation and a new inner panel to keep it from getting too hot on the outside.
yes, the original door skin, was a fiber board, I replaced the insulation and cut a new skin out of 16 GA stainless.

I cooked 100lbs of brisket yesterday, it did good, but it is so well insulated the temp is a little high, and the lower shelf is about 50 degrees hotter than the rest, I think I might build a insulated box 20x14x1 insulate it with mineral wool and put it above the diffuser plate to see if that will reduce the temp on the lowest shelf. I also might need to move the temp probe to get the temp down a bit, I have the dwell on the auger set to the longest time, it dumps 15 sec of pellets out of every 120 secs based on temp. but that is the longest I can set it. at that setting it is running about 250 on the 225 setting.

so I still have some tweaking to do, any thoughts from you guys?

Damn I forgot how much fat comes out of 8 full packer briskets... LOL

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 18th, 2013, 2:15 pm

That is what I was guessing on the door. I don't have a pellet pooper myself, but a lot of these guys do. The thing I hear most is a well insulated cabinet sort of works against the process. It holds the temp almost too well. You may consider putting an air inlet down low on the same side as the auger to pull in cool air as well. The defusing plate could be bigger too, which may even it out.

Brisket sure does dump a lot of fat.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » November 18th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:That is what I was guessing on the door. I don't have a pellet pooper myself, but a lot of these guys do. The thing I hear most is a well insulated cabinet sort of works against the process. It holds the temp almost too well. You may consider putting an air inlet down low on the same side as the auger to pull in cool air as well. The defusing plate could be bigger too, which may even it out.

Brisket sure does dump a lot of fat.
yep I think it will just take some fine tuning, I am thinking about making the dufuser plate out of some 1/4 plate and larger like you mentioned to see what that does.

the 8 briskets filled a full hotel pan about 3/4 full of fat...

I might also look to slow down the blower fan into the fire pot that thing blows like a mother.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 18th, 2013, 3:17 pm

That was a very bold move trying to cook all of those briskets on the first cook. I would have been nervous as heck.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 18th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Wow 8 packers, now that's a cook! :needfood:
On my cabinet style pellet cooker, I have basically a double diffuser. The first one is just a small piece of metal bent over the fire pot to deflect the flame and cause a little turbulence. The second is a diffuser/drain pan. It is full width of the cooker with about a 1" gap front and back. Mine runs pretty even on temps. When I first reach temp it has a 10 degree or so variable top to bottom. After 10 or 15 minutes it stabilizes and is within a degree or two top to bottom.
http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... 108&t=1316 here is the link to my build. (Diffuser pics on page 4)

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » November 18th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:That was a very bold move trying to cook all of those briskets on the first cook. I would have been nervous as heck.
I kept an eye on it, I figured go big or go home, LOL plus I could have always moved them to my stick burner if I had a problem so I was not too worried.

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » November 18th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Smokeone wrote:Wow 8 packers, now that's a cook! :needfood:
On my cabinet style pellet cooker, I have basically a double diffuser. The first one is just a small piece of metal bent over the fire pot to deflect the flame and cause a little turbulence. The second is a diffuser/drain pan. It is full width of the cooker with about a 1" gap front and back. Mine runs pretty even on temps. When I first reach temp it has a 10 degree or so variable top to bottom. After 10 or 15 minutes it stabilizes and is within a degree or two top to bottom.
http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... 108&t=1316 here is the link to my build. (Diffuser pics on page 4)
I think I will try a second diffuser with the smaller gaps to see how that does, what thickness is yours? looks like it might be 12-14 gauge, thx for the info

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » November 18th, 2013, 5:52 pm

S1, question where did you mount your temp probe? how is the smoke level with the exhaust out the top? I ran mine out the side to increase the smoke dwell time.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 18th, 2013, 7:38 pm

It is 14 ga. My temp probe is mounted center of the back wall. I don't see much difference in the smoke flavor, over my UDS. We have talked about putting a piece of metal on an angle on the back wall and on the door. This would serve two purposes, create turbulence in the smoke and heat, and to force the moisture to the drip pan, thus avoiding the baffle gap. I haven't had a problem with the second part, but I haven't had the cooker full yet.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » November 18th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Smokeone wrote:It is 14 ga. My temp probe is mounted center of the back wall. I don't see much difference in the smoke flavor, over my UDS. We have talked about putting a piece of metal on an angle on the back wall and on the door. This would serve two purposes, create turbulence in the smoke and heat, and to force the moisture to the drip pan, thus avoiding the baffle gap. I haven't had a problem with the second part, but I haven't had the cooker full yet.
the angle is a good call... with it full I made a mess in the bottom there it missed the drip pan, damn the fat in big packers, LOL.

thx for the info I am going to try what you have done and see how it helps the temp

cdarnell
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cdarnell » June 30th, 2014, 10:34 am

Just an update once I built the diffuser plate with only an inch of gap front and rear it is rock solid.

I have cooked on it about a dozen times now and it holds within +/- 5 degrees. it cooks great and I love the set it and forget it at times I need sleep... LOL

it is handy to load it up at night and go to bed and have happy food in the AM!!!!!!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 30th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk