Adding smoke

AKA- Pellet Poopers
mofomatic
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Adding smoke

Post by mofomatic » November 30th, 2017, 11:39 am

Has any tried using a cold smoke generator with a pellet grill? I've cooked on pellet grills, but never owned one until last night. I like the ease of pellets and not having to stoke fires constantly, but it seems you have to choose between smoke or heat. I have a 60 gallon propane tank stick burner for a patio rig and a 90 gallon tank on a trailer. Always been traditional. I picked up the little chief brand cold smoker for cheese and bacon. 12volt, fan and glowplug, great product.

So anyways, I picked up a green mountain Davy crocket. It's small and cheap. Perfect for experimenting. The Wifi app and programmability built in is what sold me. Some where along the line, im picturing a insulated cube cabinet, proabaly absolute max 2x2x2 outside dimension, probably less. But with a spot to also use the cold smoker attachment. Both the davey Crockett and the cold smoker run off 12v, so that makes wiring it all together nice and clean.

Even if the cold smoke generator doesn't help out much when running the pellet grill, I think I'd still build it into the new smoker for regular cold smoking of things.

I like the idea of full smoke and 400 degrees.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Adding smoke

Post by Squiggle » November 30th, 2017, 4:41 pm

I put a cold smoker on the side of my fridge smoker & I found the smoke a cold smoker generates isn't what you want for BBQing, works well with cheese & salmon, but not BBQing meats. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Adding smoke

Post by Rodcrafter » December 6th, 2017, 2:58 pm

At 400* the smoke content won’t be a great deal since meat stops taking smoke at 160*. The smoke after that is just on the surface and can be bitter if there’s a lot.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Pellet Smokers”