Thicker Steel vs Insulation

AKA- Pellet Poopers
MattTucker
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Thicker Steel vs Insulation

Post by MattTucker » April 25th, 2015, 11:02 am

A buddy and I are going to embark on our first pellet smoker builds, and I keep having this debate in my mind.

In a vertical cabinet pellet smoker (much like the FEC1000) will you get more even temps throughout the chamber by using thicker steel (bent in 1 piece for the walls) as opposed to going with lighter wall + insulation + skin?

I used 5/16" and 3/8" thick steel for my reverse flow build two years ago and it worked great, so now it has me questioning its application on a vertical cabinet. I have the ability to have up to 1/2" steel bent to make the cabinet.

Obviously weight is an issue, but if the smoker is on wheels...is it really?

Anyone care to share your thoughts?

(I don't really know the first thing about pellet smokers, other than i am completely jealous of my buddies ability to sleep at night, while i am up feeding the beast).

--Matt Tucker

=========================================================
Check out my blog:
The Ozark Chronicles

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Thicker Steel vs Insulation

Post by Puff » April 25th, 2015, 10:17 pm

I'll can tell you from my Gravity Feed build...

It probably weighs near 750. It is 2" tube frame packed with insulation, 14 gauge inner and outer skins except for the door hinge side which is 12gauge. 2" rigid insulation....darn near 80 lbs worth. The firebox is 1/2" steel, transfer tube is heavy and runs full length...edge to edge. I am not a spring chicken as they say but I can easily lift and move a few things.

My intention was to be able to roll the smoker over the gravel roads around my house and barns. The rougher terrain is a problem so I keep it in the smooth concrete floor of the garage. The wheels are 8" foam filled and have some very high weight capacity. However, I cannot move the cabinet easily. It takes a rocking, rolling start and you'd better have the endurance to keep going because if you loose your steam after the first few inches...it's stuck. The tires get a slight flat spot and do it roll.
I find it too taxing to use the smoker so wind up using the RF much more eve though the thing works so extremely well. my 2 cents
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Thicker Steel vs Insulation

Post by Rodcrafter » April 26th, 2015, 10:02 am

I should come up there and get that heavy rascal out of your way Puff. Your going to need the room for your little GF. You know I will.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Pellet Smokers”