Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
TheBigToe
beginner
beginner
Title: Let me at it...
BBQ Comp Team Name: Don't compete

250 Gallon RF pro[ane Tank Build

Post by TheBigToe » March 18th, 2019, 12:45 pm

This is my first build. I hope this is the right place for this post. IF not someone move it or tell me where to put it please.

I have a1972 Wendland (250gal i think) propane tank and a two horse straight load trailer. This is going to be the starting point for my build. The tank is 30.5" diameter and 95 inches long. I plan to have the firebox on the right hand side. Still contemplating a warmer above the firebox. Initial thoughts are a gas grill and a flat griddle on the other side so this is a complete set up. I dont want to reinvent the wheel and want to do it right the first time. I am open to any and all input. This will be built in my spare time as I run my own business and have loads of Honey-dos at the house. I didnt see a set of plans for this specific tank size.

The tank has been sitting empty over a year. The valves and everything are out of the top. I have soaked it with Dawn and water for a few days, then trained it. Then a week or so later i used TSP and water for a few days and drained it. Then a few weeks sitting open and empty and Dawn and water again for a few days. Then the TSP and water again. After i drained it it has been sitting open for several months with nothing in it. Again, I am open to input before cutting.

Thanks and again I look forward to all input.
Attachments
proj1.jpg
prooj 2.jpg

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: 250 Gallon RF pro[ane Tank Build

Post by towtruck » March 18th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Looks like a fun project. If you have a good imagination you can put the pit inside that trailer and use flat cook chamber doors in the same location as the current trailer siding. Put your stack out the roof and make more doors on the off side to reach in and grab your stored wood and other goodies. The fire box could hang out the back and you can leave all the rear doors in place and just cut them out around the fire box.

If you try and use that trailer's frame only you will run into trouble as they are built as a box and not strong enough to hold much weight once that box is cut off.
I wouls do all I could to mount that smoker inside and use flat doors for the cook chamber.....it would be really cool!!!!!!

Edit....now that I have looked at it a while here is what I would do.....mount the smoker with the fire box on the front under the feeders in the trailer. Make the whole thing fit inside the trailer and run double flat doors on one side of the trailer for the cook chamber. I would cut the bells off the tank to get more of it inside the trailer and not take up space. The fire box door would be dead center in the front of the trailer. Insulate the firebox and door. You could put a warming chamber on top of the fire box and access it through the front as well. Leave the back doors alone and leave the trailer looking just like a horse trailer.......come on man, do it, do it for me... :welder:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 18th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I'm not sure if you've found them but there are several smoker builder calculators on the site. I would start with the tank volume calculator so you know exactly what you're working with. Then you can move over to the pit calculator and start playing around with the numbers until you find something that works. I wouldn't cut the tank until you have at least finalized the dimensions of your FB and CC. The calculator will give you the percentage ratio that the FB to CC needs to be, the max range is 115% of the recommended size, most guys shoot between 105% - 110% volume.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 19th, 2019, 12:25 am

Yikes, towtruck. You have a vision for this one...and gotta admit it sounds pretty good.

However, with just the coupler and suspension one could put together a pretty quick smoker trailer from scratch.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » March 19th, 2019, 11:35 am

Tow Truck... guess I need to have some quiet time with your post and a bottle of Crown to wrap my feeble brain around your idea. Thanks for the input

BigT I have seen the calculators but havent used them. I was hoping I could simply use a set of existing plans and not have to reinvent the wheel.

I will have to delve deeper into the use of that horse trailer I guess. I was simply trying to save money by using what i have available.

Anyone know if trailer plans are included in the smoker build plans?

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » March 19th, 2019, 12:21 pm

@TowTruck. Yea. That would be awesome. Unlike any other for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » March 19th, 2019, 1:49 pm

TheBigToe wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:35 am
Tow Truck... guess I need to have some quiet time with your post and a bottle of Crown to wrap my feeble brain around your idea. Thanks for the input

BigT I have seen the calculators but havent used them. I was hoping I could simply use a set of existing plans and not have to reinvent the wheel.

I will have to delve deeper into the use of that horse trailer I guess. I was simply trying to save money by using what i have available.

Anyone know if trailer plans are included in the smoker build plans?
I love to use what I have and make it work. I would make all that into a reverse flow smoker with flat cook chamber doors that are cut into the sides of the trailer. I would make the firebox towards the front and build a fire box door that is accessed through the tack room door.
A warming chamber could be put on top of the FB where the feeders are now. I would leave the back doors alone and use that for access into the trailer where you store your wood and other stuff. The feeder door could be used to open it up and get to the warming chamber door. I that trailer has a door under the feeder for saddles I would then use it to gain access to my fire box and make the fire box door on the side of the FB and not out the front of the trailer. less work is the goal.....the less you have to cut on the trailer the easier it will be. You can even offset the smoker to one side a little and still make it all work and give you more room for storage. I would make a frame on the side of the trailer to bolt the cook chamber face to and have the CC doors flat with the outside of the trailer. The windows could even stay in the sides.

That whole project just makes my head spin with ideas.....the more I look at it the more I would use all the exiting doors to gain access to the smoker. Number one the smoker has to be made to the calculators and made to be a smoker first....it has to work and work well so stick with the plans. Once the smoker design is made then it's just a matter of making it all fit into the trailer.....I would offset the smoker to the side with the feeder and tack room doors, cut the cc doors into that side over the tires, run the stack out the top and then paint it all up real nice on the outside.

I wouldn't do it any other way......think about it....it would be pretty cool and the smoker is always under a cover.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 19th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Frank has trailer plans available but they are a separate charge.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » June 11th, 2019, 11:55 am

Plans... $79? Can someone elaborate on them? Are they in-depth? Materials list included? Idiot proof?

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » June 11th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Very detailed - not idiot proof. You will have to put together your materials list, but its easy enough to do. Some plans also have a file that can be used by the fab shops to cut each individual piece out.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 12th, 2019, 12:57 pm

I take it my idea is out.....dang....

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » June 14th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Sorry towtruck.. . i have something more conventional in mind.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 15th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Plans worth every cent. Too much time Nd money in a pit to screw it up.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » June 19th, 2019, 10:42 am

I ordered and received mine. https://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?m ... cts_id=216

I guess I am an idiot because they are over my head. I am in the process of going thru them and making a materials list. I did talk to Frank and he said I could have all the phone support i needed for as long as I needed to go with those plans. He seems like a sincere and super nice guy.

Towtruck, i have decided against using the horse trailer for now. I do love your vision.

The beautiful thing from all of this is that it has generated interest in my almost 20 year old regarding metal working. He is mechanically inclined but has been lazy. I have tried for years to engage him into doing something extra... car project, metal working, etc... He can and does keep his own truck running and helps me with my 7.3 or his moms if I ask. I have him building a gate for our dog kennel to hone his skills before I turn him lose on this project with me..

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 19th, 2019, 11:22 pm

If the plans are like mine, they will detail each piece but not necessarily in an order of assembly. I fabricated most of the big pieces before I started welding and it made more sense as I mocked it up. Feel free to ask questions as you go along....we are here to help.