Hutch's Mack build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: Hutch's Mack build

Post by hutcho » March 25th, 2019, 3:17 pm

So had a very productive day today and yesterday. Got the wood rack built. Table under the CC built. All the trailer flooring done. Toolbox is drug out of storage and just resting but will be mounted soon. Got the ass end of the trailer cut off and capped. Trailer light brackets mounted. Just a few loose ends and this project will be whopped! Had to hook it on and drag it out for pics today, can't wait to get a fire in this thing already!!!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » March 25th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Nice. I like it, a nice compact unit.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 25th, 2019, 8:08 pm

:yth:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » March 26th, 2019, 11:31 am

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 26th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Look like you could easily cut off 20-30 inches on that tongue and make it even more compact if you wanted. Nice job.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 26th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Funny you mention that. I actually planned on cutitng it down and then adding more support to it as well. Thinking 18-24" shorter. Maybe more, just have to see what looks right.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 26th, 2019, 6:48 pm

It only has to be long enough to allow the trailer to turn....right?

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Sure! Lol! Honestly I like it long just for backing purposes, but I think a little tongue weight will help me some also. Plus it will look better overall too I think. Speaking of looks, kinda want to do something under the CC, kinda looks weird being so open...

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » March 26th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Storage! Or a pull out fridge for the beer :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 26th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I would have stacked my logs under there...

Agree that backing up a trailer with a longer tongue is more forgiving. On a smoker tho, I would want it as absolutely short as possible. It will spend the majority of is time in the garage or out in the yard cooking. The number of people (mostly you) who have to walk around it greatly out number the number drivability factor.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 27th, 2019, 8:14 am

Dirtytires wrote:I would have stacked my logs under there...

Agree that backing up a trailer with a longer tongue is more forgiving. On a smoker tho, I would want it as absolutely short as possible. It will spend the majority of is time in the garage or out in the yard cooking. The number of people (mostly you) who have to walk around it greatly out number the number drivability factor.
I considered that as I was building the log rack. It's still an option but I figured it would be a pain dragging logs out. Conveniently my cheapo Walmart cooler fits under there perfect. May have to grab a couple to just leave with it. Kinda thinking a grill/cowboy cooker type thing in the gap between the wood rack and tool box. Really want a pizza oven but I think it's more project and weight than I want to deal with right now.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 27th, 2019, 8:14 am

ajfoxy wrote:Storage! Or a pull out fridge for the beer :D
Can never have too much storage!!!!

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » March 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Looks great. Dont melt your cooler with it too close to the firebox. That's embarrassing... and smells bad too.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 27th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Chromeski wrote:Looks great. Dont melt your cooler with it too close to the firebox. That's embarrassing... and smells bad too.
Good point. Would probably be just for transport purposes. Although the truck bed has plenty of room so not necessary even....

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 28th, 2019, 2:30 pm

So as long as the rain holds off intend to have this thing seasoned tommorow. If it falls through maybe Saturday or next weekend. It will have a seasoning through it at least before the next step.

So my question for today. Paint. I got a buddy that runs a big truck shop. Does custom paint and whatnot. So it's gonna be getting sandblasted and painted here in a couple weeks. Do I go plain ol boring black or do something a little different. I was pretty set on black with old school hot rod flames for a long time, but not sure how it will look honestly. Any ideas?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » March 28th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Black is good something different really make it stand out. The other option is to paint to match your tow rig... what color is your pickup?

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 28th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I say it's silver. Some says it's gold. Either way it's temporary. If I ever get my J10 done it will be synergy green, might be a bit much for a smoker lol! Black is just so normal and boring lol!

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » March 28th, 2019, 7:07 pm

If you don't want boring then synergy green it is . Can also paint trailer different than the smoker give out that two tone look... don't let a little rain stop you from seasoning

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 28th, 2019, 7:10 pm

I wasn't sure if the rain would affect the seasoning process or not honestly.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » March 28th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Not unless you get some monsoonal deluge. I'd season her anyway. It will take a few hours. And a synergy green smoker means you'll never loose it in the yard. Just about visible from space. But a nice colour all the same.

Big T

Post by Big T » March 28th, 2019, 10:45 pm

You've done a great job!! I just noticed the location of your shelf on the front of the cooker and I speak from experience when I say that I think that you're going to wish that it was lower. I had a shelf at the same height and I had to move anything that was on the shelf before I opened the doors. I plan to make mine about 6'' - 8'' lower when I get to the next phase of my makeover. I'm certainly not criticizing your build, I just thought I'd give you something to consider before you blast and paint it.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 29th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Big T wrote:You've done a great job!! I just noticed the location of your shelf on the front of the cooker and I speak from experience when I say that I think that you're going to wish that it was lower. I had a shelf at the same height and I had to move anything that was on the shelf before I opened the doors. I plan to make mine about 6'' - 8'' lower when I get to the next phase of my makeover. I'm certainly not criticizing your build, I just thought I'd give you something to consider before you blast and paint it.
Thank you!!

So I screwed up big.

But first. Got the hitch shortened and braces added. No pics yet. Then decided to drag it outside and season her up. Got my first started hosed it down and everything was going great. I wanted it to be a little hot to get all the crap burnt off so I added an extra split or 2. Big mistake. Got it way to hot. Before starting my WC door was kinda tight, all the others were nice and perfect. Now the WC is perfect. The left CC door catches and the firebox door is almost unopenable. Firebox was my fault, I missed a weld on the angle inside and it warped. Should be an easy fix. Think the same issue is the CC door problem. Also my wood is crazy wet and I'm gonna have to find some different for now. On the plus side the seasoning looks nice inside. Definitely gonna be a huge learning curve with this thing! Also on the plus side, left side was only showing 10-15 degrees higher than the right side.

On the rack. I agree. I probably should be lower. Thinking about another one off the firebox that slides out. Kinda make an L. Maybe not though. Not sure yet.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 29th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Just went back out and checked. Doors are normal now. I guess I just had it WAY to hot! It warmed up like my electric, 30min lol! Live and learn...

Big T

Post by Big T » March 29th, 2019, 9:25 pm

I'm glad to hear that it didn't warp anything. There's definitely a learning curve to using an RF but once you figure it out, there's no going back imo. Most of us that have never used an RF that is correctly built don't realize hoe small that the fire has to be to maintain cooking temps so we build a raging fire the first time out.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 29th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Big T wrote:I'm glad to hear that it didn't warp anything. There's definitely a learning curve to using an RF but once you figure it out, there's no going back imo. Most of us that have never used an RF that is correctly built don't realize hoe small that the fire has to be to maintain cooking temps so we build a raging fire the first time out.
That's exactly what I did lol! It was still at 150 when I checked and there was barely any coals left. I'm gonna start next time with 2 baskets of charcoal still but only 1 split lol!

I'm just so used to my electric. It's up to temp in under 30min. So naturally when I watch it not move for a few minutes I get the urge to make more fire lol! I'm gonna plan on an hour warm up next time.