Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Hutch's Mack build

Post by Dirtytires » March 30th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Just an observation from my experience....

Wood splits burn better when added in multiples. Where adding 1 split to a fire will burn, adding 2 splits with a few inches between them will catch much faster and burn more cleanly. I also find this breaks down into coals faster.

So, might I suggest 2 small splits instead of just adding 1 normal size to keep the fire small. I never use a split that is larger in diameter than a beer can.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 30th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Good call. Unfortunately mine are split about twice that size. Looks like I'm gonna need to do some splitting before I get to carried away. Good thing I actually enjoy it lol!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 31st, 2019, 9:57 pm

Welcome to the club.

I buy my wood Cut and split but always need to swing the splitter a few times to break them down even smaller.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » March 31st, 2019, 10:01 pm

Back on nights for 4 days but when this period of hell is over I have 8 days off. First thing I'm gonna do is go buy a mail(can't believe I have made it this far in life without one). Then I intend to fire this thing up again and hopefully start getting a feel for holding a proper temp. If all goes remotely close to good then I intend to be smoking something for most of those 8days off while I work on other projects that have been neglected during the construction of this thing lol!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 1st, 2019, 12:08 am

When my wife starts to tell me I’m neglecting things I just point out my priority list is different from hers....

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » April 2nd, 2019, 8:07 pm

When my wife starts to tell me I’m neglecting things I just point out my priority list is different from hers....
Geez DT you like to live in the edge don't you? That could get you a whole bunch of hot lip and cold shoulder. =)) =))

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » April 2nd, 2019, 8:11 pm

Dirtytires wrote:When my wife starts to tell me I’m neglecting things I just point out my priority list is different from hers....
I'm very fortunate, my wife hasn't complained this whole project, even when it's over budget. Maybe I should be sleeping with 1 eye open just in case [emoji1787]

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » April 3rd, 2019, 6:29 pm

hutcho wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 8:11 pm
Dirtytires wrote:When my wife starts to tell me I’m neglecting things I just point out my priority list is different from hers....
I'm very fortunate, my wife hasn't complained this whole project, even when it's over budget. Maybe I should be sleeping with 1 eye open just in case [emoji1787]

She has something in the works... send pics of her new car next week

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » April 5th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Got to FINALLY cook with it tonight. Overall went pretty well. Was busy working on a car and lost my coals though, quickly added another chimney of wood and it was good to go again. Between that and starting late it was taking too long so we finished up inside. Turned out pretty good. First time trying lollipops and it's definitely not worth the effort lol! Image

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » April 5th, 2019, 10:00 pm

So long as it tasted OK, that's what counts. You'll know for next time... armchair, beer fridge and TV right next to the unit so you can watch it.

Alternatively you could hook up a digital thermo that alerted you via phone or whatever when the temp was going south.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » April 5th, 2019, 10:04 pm

I had my tablet and 4 probes on my new igrill. It was on the car right next to me. Just wasn't focused on the smoker like I should have been. No worries, it came out good. I'm starting to get a feel for this smoker. With my wood being damp I need to toss a log on about every 30 minutes just so they have time to dry out some. I'm sure it will be get easier with more use and dryer wood...

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 6th, 2019, 11:46 am

Common misconception is you can sit back and relax after the meat goes on. I have found, like you, that it is sometimes difficult to focus on another project while smoking.

Glad it turned out ok.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » April 6th, 2019, 11:49 am

Dirtytires wrote:Common misconception is you can sit back and relax after the meat goes on. I have found, like you, that it is sometimes difficult to focus on another project while smoking.

Glad it turned out ok.
Yep definitely gonna have to adjust how I do things a bit. My Bradley I had dual elements and a PID. I could set it and go to bed and have 0 worries. Been a long time since I've smoked on a stick burner lol

dhafling
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by dhafling » June 23rd, 2020, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the post and picks. About to attempt to build my Mack. Question for you... do you wish you had raised the floor of the firebox to be even with the lip for easy ash clean out?