Mack Upgrade

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Chuck Diesel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Mack Upgrade

Post by Chuck Diesel » July 6th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Big T,

In regards to the fire basket, I thought since I managed to burn through the expanded mesh basket I put on my Oklahoma Joe I reinforced the bottom of this basket. If you look closely you will see the 19W4 1" x 3/16" I used under the mesh. I had a chunk i was going to use on a welding table. The fire basket bottom is 1 layer of no. 9 expanded mesh on top of the 19W4 1" x 3/16" and is 4 sided wrapped with 1/4" x 1.5" angle iron, the upper Walls are 3/16" x 6" to help channel the heat for a better burn. is it heavy yes, so far every fire has completely consumed everything. Although it has handle and designed to slide and lock out, the plan was to not have to remove the basket. To clean the firebox, all you have to do is sweep the basket and dump the fitted ash pan below. Is this over kill, I'd say yes, that's how I roll... LOL!!

dhafling
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by dhafling » July 7th, 2020, 1:10 pm

What did you use for your ports for the probe wires?

Chuck Diesel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Chuck Diesel » July 7th, 2020, 4:34 pm

dhalfling.

The Probe Ports I used are the Halex 1" Water-tight Entrance Connector. I wanted a larger opening to accommodate any size probes. There are 3/4" available if the 1" is larger than you need. To keep the port from leaking smoke or screw with your drafting I used heavy duty foil on over the inner ring opening. When you want to use the port, just poke your prob(s) through the foil and go. After each cook I just replace the small piece of foil on the inside and screw them back on.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Lotta good ideas out there. I used a short threaded pipe nipple. It is large enough to put my probe thru and I can screw a pipe cap on it when not in use.

The foil is a super easy and quick way to plug up leaks around the wire. Another trick is to drill out a plug with a hole saw on a piece of lumber. Then make a cut from the outside edge to the center hole. It will allow you to slide the wire into the center of the plug and the slot will allow it to spring a little and hole it in place. You could also use a cork and just cut a small notch out of it.

Chuck Diesel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Chuck Diesel » July 8th, 2020, 2:53 pm

:yth: I agree, this forum is full of great usable ideas.

Chuck Diesel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Chuck Diesel » July 20th, 2020, 4:47 am

Got my second smoke in last weekend. Spatchcocked 4 large chickens, sausage and tried a small roast. All went well except the seasoning of the cooker. Whoever said use a small amount of cooking spray to season the cooker was right. Although seasoned on 7/3 the large can of Pam I used is still dripping from everything... lesson learned! :(

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 20th, 2020, 7:22 pm

I think most of us made the same mistake. It doesn't seem like a lot when you are putting it on but it looks like a lot when it's dripping from everywhere.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”