60 Gallon RF w/ Insulated Firebox

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Re: 60 Gallon RF w/ Insulated Firebox

Post by SheffSmoker » January 19th, 2021, 5:52 am

Ouch! Lost count how many welding and grinding scars I have from over the years.

I had a "different" one at the weekend. Spritzing the butts on a cook, I use a small pressurised pump bottle that you pump by hand. Noticed a leak on it so lifted it up to inspect... BOOM - it exploded in my hand sending shards of sharp plastic everywhere. Very lucky none hit me in the face, hand was smarting somewhat and was at the "dare I look" phase - just sore and no wounds thankfully. Went deaf in one ear for 30 minutes though, ringing like hell.

This meat tries it's best to kill us. ;)

You can never have too many hammers.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » January 19th, 2021, 8:18 am

I love the wood handle!! Smoker is looking a lot better than your forehead!!! Glad you are ok!

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 19th, 2021, 8:54 am

Cole Leffert wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 8:18 am
I love the wood handle!! Smoker is looking a lot better than your forehead!!! Glad you are ok!
Thx Cole. Couple coats of linseed and she should be just about right - the smoker that is. Maybe I should try linseed on my head too.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 19th, 2021, 8:58 am

SheffSmoker wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:52 am
Ouch! Lost count how many welding and grinding scars I have from over the years.

I had a "different" one at the weekend. Spritzing the butts on a cook, I use a small pressurised pump bottle that you pump by hand. Noticed a leak on it so lifted it up to inspect... BOOM - it exploded in my hand sending shards of sharp plastic everywhere. Very lucky none hit me in the face, hand was smarting somewhat and was at the "dare I look" phase - just sore and no wounds thankfully. Went deaf in one ear for 30 minutes though, ringing like hell.

This meat tries it's best to kill us. ;)
I keep thinking how close that was to my eyes - regardless of having safety glasses on. Kind of freaking me out. I just ordered a nicer face shield than the $15 northern tool one I have now - Uvex Bionic. It’s going onto my list of daily must wear PPE.

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » January 19th, 2021, 9:02 am

Aye, could have gone South easily that one Dave. Glad it's only a flesh wound all things considered.

You can never have too many hammers.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » March 25th, 2021, 9:12 am

I see you're using 1" insulation. Is that a common choice for insulated fireboxes? From what I can tell the mfrs tend to use 2", is that correct?

Also, 1/4" for both inner and outer skins? Do you think you could have gotten away with something lighter on the outside skin?

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 25th, 2021, 9:32 am

I picked 1” b/c that’s what I had available for plate steel size and I’d seen some comments about lack of smoke flavor on over insulated boxes. The outside skin is 3/16”. Wanted to save some weight. I’m sure 1/8”/10ga would have been fine too. I live in MN and have been curious about the benefits of insulating for winter cooks.
This FB turned out to be super efficient. Very happy with it. Holds temp on two splits the size of a tall boy beer can every 40 mins. I keep my fire forward towards the door in the fb to keep temps down on the fb side of the cc.
The only change I would make is to make the shadow plate under the baffle thicker. I went w 1/8” for some reason and I think 1/4” would have helped keep that side cooler still.