keeping the temperature up in the smoker

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Shawnt
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: keeping the temperature up in the smoker

Post by Shawnt » July 1st, 2012, 7:19 am

Well Lets take it for a test run!!lol! As said I'm smoking as I write this and find it so much easier to maintain temp. I'll let you know what happens!

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 am

As far as fuel consumption goes, start small and keep it that way. My firebox inside dimensions are 16 x 24. Basically what I use is the middle eight inches leaving lots of room. When I bring it up to temp I start it with a half chimney of charcoal and 1 or maybe 2 splits. Then every 15 add another split or half chimney alternating. When it is up to temp and cooking I add fuel, 1/3 chimney or a couple of splits every half hour. I prefer to run it a little lean and save on the fuel, but you have to stay on top of it!

Keeping your fire lean will also help keep the bitter taste out of your food. On another thread KAM pointed out that bitter taste is cyanide from the creosote of struggling fire. Give the fire enough fuel to keep it going, but not enough that it smothers it. Make sense?

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

smokechac
beginner
beginner

Post by smokechac » July 28th, 2012, 6:50 am

Nice build. Where can I find those door latches you use?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 9th, 2012, 1:07 pm

I would have to say that your firebox is fine sized, the air intakes may need to have been where the air could go both below and above the grate. As for the temps I would say that you have a flow problem, being the stack is too small diameter. I have to remember that I'm creating a flow like a chimney has. If you close the damper in a fire place the house will fill up with smoke right? So if the air isn't moving through the cook chamber it is staying in the fire box. This picture shows where I put my air intake. The grate height is in the middle of the opening. Mine works good but it uses alot of fuel. I think it seems to be the reverse flow process. Hope it helps.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........