First-time build, using an oval fuel oil drum.

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Thundermedic
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Smoke Eaters BBQ Company

First-time build, using an oval fuel oil drum.

Post by Thundermedic » October 23rd, 2012, 2:10 am

Hi all, Thunder here. Just picked up a 250gal residential fuel oil tank to make into a RF pit. I was thinking of using a 10 gallon boiler overflow tank to make the firebox out of. The big tank will be laid horizontally with the FB on the right side. Planning on using expanded metal for the grates. This will be a trailer rig to hopefully get myself and two of my firefighter buddies into the Q business. Thoughts and advice from those who have built oval fuel oil pits would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! (I will put pictures up when I can figure out how to post them)

jon in mass
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: First-time build, using an oval fuel oil drum.

Post by jon in mass » October 23rd, 2012, 4:29 am

hi guy hears a usefull thing to help you determin the ness sizes for everything.
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
i am planning a similar rig myself and just accumulating ness supplies at presant.
hears how to post photos.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=86

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » October 23rd, 2012, 6:11 am

The 10 gallon tank is going to be way too small which means you will have to feed it frequently and you may have airflow problems. I have that same tank set up in a center feed rf and my firebox is about three times that size AND I'm in the process of making it bigger.

I'd highly recommend the pit calculator and running the numbers through there first. It will save you a lot of heartache.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » October 23rd, 2012, 12:34 pm

Welcome, sounds similar to the build I've been working on. http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... ?f=7&t=460 Like they've said don't skimp on the firebox and use the calculator it will save you lots of headaches.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » October 23rd, 2012, 7:50 pm

:welcome: :yth:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Thundermedic
beginner
beginner

Post by Thundermedic » October 26th, 2012, 11:45 am

So we got the lid cut out, drained the 10 r so gallons of fuel oil out, and did a first burn out. Now we are having trouble finding materials to fabricate a firebox. Apparently none of the "metal shops/fabricators" in my area actually stock sheet and plate steel! I am thinking about using 1/4" plate steel for the firebox. Is that too thick or just right? Anybody know of where to get steel here in MD?????
:headwall: :help: :wtf:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 26th, 2012, 11:52 am

Baltimore scrap corp lists your town - maybe buy it by the pound from them - might even find a container that would work if you know the total cubic inches you need first ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » October 26th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Thundermedic wrote:So we got the lid cut out, drained the 10 r so gallons of fuel oil out, and did a first burn out. Now we are having trouble finding materials to fabricate a firebox. Apparently none of the "metal shops/fabricators" in my area actually stock sheet and plate steel! I am thinking about using 1/4" plate steel for the firebox. Is that too thick or just right? Anybody know of where to get steel here in MD?????
1/4" is perfect for a firebox. I would recommend putting your door on a frame or it will warp a bit. If you can cut it yourself, look into the cost of new steel from your local steel supplier. You will need enough just for the firebox that you can buy a whole sheet without a lot of waste.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Re: Re: First-time build, using an oval fuel oil drum.

Post by Grabber70Mach » October 30th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Thundermedic wrote:So we got the lid cut out, drained the 10 r so gallons of fuel oil out, and did a first burn out. Now we are having trouble finding materials to fabricate a firebox. Apparently none of the "metal shops/fabricators" in my area actually stock sheet and plate steel! I am thinking about using 1/4" plate steel for the firebox. Is that too thick or just right? Anybody know of where to get steel here in MD?????
:headwall: :help: :wtf:
Where are you in MD? Two I use are http://www.posners.com/ 301-350-1000 and Durrett-Sheppard 1-800-888-8567.

Thundermedic
beginner
beginner

Post by Thundermedic » November 7th, 2012, 9:38 pm

I am down in Calvert County. Project got stalled with all the hurricane nonsense. Hoping to get it up and running again here soon.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 8th, 2012, 8:11 am

Hope you made it through that mess okay...

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Re: Re: First-time build, using an oval fuel oil drum.

Post by Grabber70Mach » November 9th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Thundermedic wrote:I am down in Calvert County. Project got stalled with all the hurricane nonsense. Hoping to get it up and running again here soon.
Culvert county, not sure of any suppliers in that area. The Posners I deal with is by my work in Capitol Heights. I live in Charles county on the western side of it. The other place I spoke of is in Baltimore.