Warmer

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Cave Man
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Warmer

Post by Cave Man » December 19th, 2012, 8:31 am

I have another Tank to mount vertical on top of my Fire Box to be a warmer. What I need to know is how to control the heat in that Warmer. Do I just install it on top of the fire box? Do I put an air gap with some side dampers between the fire box and the warmer? I havent looked at many others here local so Im just thinking before i get too far into this and cant get it to maintain temp. Not even sure what temp I want it to maintain.

So anything you can throw out there would be a great help.

:help:

Is that thing supposed to be smoking like that?

Fiveflat
Title: Learnin' to smoke
BBQ Comp Team Name: Don't compete

Re: Warmer

Post by Fiveflat » December 19th, 2012, 10:40 am

I had that same question although I wanted my vertical tank to also double as a cooker if I wanted to. I had a very poorly drawn picture of my idea before I joined this site:

And after a lot of searching on this site I found that Frank built one very much like I visioned:

So I'm going to copy that hand wheel idea, I love it! :beer:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2012, 7:57 am

Cave man if you're going for 140 hold temp (like the law likes food to be held at minimum) then getting to temp probably isn't a concern - it's keeping it from getting too hot. It took a double insulated SIDE wall and two outside fresh air vents to get Edgar's warming cabinet down to 140 to begin with. However, I wasn't trying to cook in that compartment at all so to each his own. One other thing I noticed is that the warming cabinet takes over 2 hours to get up to temp since it only has conductive/radiant heat working for it but I never worried because I don't need it until I start to pull meat off after several hours anyway. Just the radiant heat of the top plate of a RF firebox should be more than adequate to get you a temp in this area or even higher. jm2cw ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » December 20th, 2012, 11:54 am

very clean solution on that baffle frank!

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » December 20th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Rick wrote:Cave man if you're going for 140 hold temp (like the law likes food to be held at minimum) then getting to temp probably isn't a concern - it's keeping it from getting too hot. It took a double insulated SIDE wall and two outside fresh air vents to get Edgar's warming cabinet down to 140 to begin with. However, I wasn't trying to cook in that compartment at all so to each his own. One other thing I noticed is that the warming cabinet takes over 2 hours to get up to temp since it only has conductive/radiant heat working for it but I never worried because I don't need it until I start to pull meat off after several hours anyway. Just the radiant heat of the top plate of a RF firebox should be more than adequate to get you a temp in this area or even higher. jm2cw ... :D
:yth:

That's how always have seen the warming cabinets done. FiveFlat I think wanted to cook in the smaller portion if I remember right.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » December 20th, 2012, 12:27 pm

I made me a small dedicated charcoal basket for my warmer and I cook in it all the time when I want to do smaller cooks
It works perfectly
here it is

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Cave Man

Post by Cave Man » December 20th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Thanks Rick. So plan on venting off the excess heat and if need be I can insulate the bottom of the warmer to reduce the amount of heat transfer. Or open it up with a damper and be able to use that portion for an extra cook chamber.

TuscaloosaQ I like the charcole basket idea too. And by the way what year is the bug? Looks like an L456 Ruby Red 65 or 66. But hard to tell with so little in that photo.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » December 20th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Cave Man That is a 1967 beetel that am restoring

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Cave Man

Post by Cave Man » December 20th, 2012, 11:12 pm

TuscaloosaQ wrote:Cave Man That is a 1967 beetel that am restoring
Nice I might have a set the correct overriders and back up lights for it. They are only a few of the 67 only parts. I had one that was a sunroof car. Called it "Ruby". Let me know if theres anything I can do for you on it.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 31st, 2012, 11:24 pm

FiveFlat, Big Vin, Thanks for the compliments!
On the lead screw I used for the damper I recommend spraying it with some pam every cook. the screw will rust and seize up! :headwall: :headwall:

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”