Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
sassy's
beginner
beginner
Title: aspiring competitor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Sassy's BBQ

My first thought of my future build.

Post by sassy's » October 28th, 2011, 8:59 am

I am wondering if an idea I have would be plausible. What I have gathered from reading the past few hours, in a reverse flow there is a plate that runs between the cook area and the "bottom of the cooker. (not sure what that area is called technically). Inside this area we need to control heat and airflow so we can put a multitude of things in this are to help do that. I was thinking if you put pipes in there at strategic places and cut holes or slots in these pipes you would essentially make a venturi tube to direct where your heat is going. Hopefully I am correct in my assumptions so far. Now my question is, what if instead of cutting a big whole between the smoker and the firebox for heat to redistribute. we just cut holes the same size as the pipe or tube that we are using and extend them a little further into the firebox and cut that end so that the heat and air gets caught by the pipe. I mean like cut the bottom portion of the pipe closest to the coals so the heat and air is "captured". If a person put a stoker inside the firebox the air would be forced into the pipe and in my mind work pretty well. What I am not sure about is sealing up the area between the firebox and smoker. Would I be choking the fire? would I get enough air and heat to the smoker? After some further thought, at the opposite end of the firebox you could put a knob on the outside connected to each pipe which you could use to rotate the "venturi" tube and more accurately direct the heat at your plate. Holy cow, I hope I haven't thought to much into this and I hope I explained it as well as I can see it in my head. :-?

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Re: My first thought of my future build.

Post by Tom_Heath » October 28th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Anything is possible and there is always a chance that it would be the newest greatest thing out there.

Check out some of the temp reading from a few of the finished builds, they may surprise ya. Many times on a well designed pit the temps will be within 5 degrees end to end.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » October 29th, 2011, 6:38 am

sassy's, R/F cookers rely on the radiant heat from the R/F plate to perform. The only thing you need to do to control the way the heat/smoke travels in the tube is to have enough intake, firebox to cooking chamber opening and exhaust and the cooker will perform. Depending on how close your plate is to your grate makes some difference as far as radiant heat goes. I prefer about 4" to 4.5" between the two. By using multiple tubes you will break down the draft and slow the flow of air once this happens you will have stale smoke in your cooker. These are just my thoughts. :)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 29th, 2011, 7:42 am

Not to get too technical here but heat moves in 3 ways and you need a handle on all 3 to have a mastery of the final product. Radiant, convective and conductive. As Frank points out, an adjustment is good to build in so you can "tune" the smoker. I think some trial and error is fun to figure out and like smokertom said - it could be the latest greatest thing going when you get it working...

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 29th, 2011, 8:04 am

I think a smoker manufacturer (horizon?) May do something like this on their smokers... Never seen it, but heard of it. They have a large diameter stick of pipe running the length of their smoker and cut slots in the top of the pipe on certain intervals and this is how they "tune" their pits. This kind of deal would be fine if you don't mind having some hot and cold spots.
Some people like having hot and cold spots in their pits for certain uses say during a competition for finishing stuff.
The biggest thing to know about any pit out there is to master that pit, you need to practice, practice, practice. The pit is only 50% of the equation, the operator is the remaining 50%. every pit is different and it will operate differently depending on what part of the country you are in.
Saying all this, I think your idea could work. It will need some time to get it right. After all, it could be that the guy who came up with the first reverse flow smoker got pit laughed at to LOL.
I will say this tho, the way a reverse flow smoker works is about as tight as you can get IMHO. Unless you get into using gas or electronics. This style of smoker is capable of maintaining 3*F temp drop across it once it reaches temp.
Hope this helps. Like the other guys said, don't be afraid to experiment. Maybe we will learn something too LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 29th, 2011, 8:17 am

That's one thing you can say about this bunch - "We are teachable" - rolled up newspapers and all... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

sassy's
beginner
beginner
Title: aspiring competitor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Sassy's BBQ

Post by sassy's » October 29th, 2011, 10:30 am

It's just a thought anyway. I was looking at the flat top where I work and of course they use gas for the heat, but I was trying to think of a way to eliminate cold spots on that grill and just tried to apply it to a smoker. Seems like every thought I get in my head recently will eventually become related to smokers/ smoking.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » October 29th, 2011, 10:42 am

You are truly addicted my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » October 29th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Its ok, we wont hold it against ya for being addicted.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » October 29th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Frank, Horizon uses a convection plate with a series of holes that graduate in size away from the firebox. The heat/smoke can travel freely under the plate and up though these. If I am understanding what sassy's wants to do with a collection of pipes I believe the draft will stall.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » October 29th, 2011, 7:49 pm

ok, i was thinking of maybe another builder. someone else uses a single pipe inside the cook chamber. maybe someone else have heard of them.

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » October 29th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Frank, MrCustomsteel on the ring builds most of his DP styles with a diffuser pipe that runs the length of the cooking chamber. He has several styles he uses as far as hole configuration. These may be the ones your thinking of.