Insulating the firebox

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
cemiddle
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Insulating the firebox

Post by cemiddle » April 15th, 2013, 3:55 pm

I'm starting to put together a list of supplies i will need to build my cooker. I'm thinking of insulating my firebox. It's 24"X 24" square. What is the best way to go about doing this? I've considered using fire bricks then welding another wall around the interior but wasnt sure if that would be the most effective method. Any input would be appreciated.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Insulating the firebox

Post by The Czar » April 15th, 2013, 6:50 pm

It depends on how thick of metal you're going to use if you're going to use 1/4 inch plate ......insulation is probably not necessary...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » April 15th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Fire brick will add a bunch of weight. You can wrap it with a fireproof batt insulation and add a skin on the outside. I'm no fancy builder tho.

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Insulating the firebox

Post by Frank_Cox » April 15th, 2013, 9:22 pm

SmokinFF brings up a good point that is not usually talked about when this question is asked..... Fire Brick is heavy lolol
I always insulate and wrap with lighter gauge when I need an insulated firebox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cemiddle
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cemiddle » April 15th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the input guys. How much difference in fuel consumption and keeping steady heat will insulating actually make. I plan on using 1/4 inch plate, and I know it probably doesn't need insulation but I've read where it helps in these areas. I only plan on building this thing once and if it will make a big difference I might as well do it now.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » April 16th, 2013, 6:11 am

I'm not sure how much it will save. It depends a lot on the air temp. I don't know where you are located,but if it is not really cold, I would just do the 1/4" box.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » April 16th, 2013, 7:01 am

I insulated mine mostly because I didn't want my toddler to get 3rd degree burns if he touched it. I used 1/4" inside and 16 GA out. I am less than satisfied with the results. I framed it out with 2x2 tubing then insulated between the inner and outer skins. I'm not sure how much the insulation helps vs just having the firebox the correct size which is why I rebuilt in the first place.

I'm not saying don't but plan out some practical things first, like how to attach it in place. Also, have Frank give you the name of the insulation we buy for out cabinets, that stuff is awesome.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

goodwla
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by goodwla » April 16th, 2013, 7:04 am

Are you guys saying that depending on the thickness of the FB plates, you may/may not have to insulate?

Please explain more.

Goodwla

AustinKnight
beginner
beginner

Post by AustinKnight » April 16th, 2013, 10:17 pm

I've always read a insulated firebox helps fuel consumption,faster recovery and easier temp control. I have only seen one reverse flow here in Austin,Tx but the guy said the same thing I just spoke of. I kinda want to insulate my box when I finally build, is it really not necessary using 1/4 plate cause I could save a few hundred bucks and have a nice big bbq with the money saved from the plate cost. :grillin: ??

Here are some pics I gathered from another site for build help later when I get going...The guy who built this box said he would've gone with ceramic instead of what he used I can't remember why. Sorry I don't have the end pic's but you get the picture :welder:

AustinKnight
beginner
beginner

Post by AustinKnight » April 16th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Double post

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » April 20th, 2013, 10:07 pm

The ceramic has a much higher temp rating. Frank used mineral wool in the last insulated build for SmokerBuilder's gravity-feed model and I couldn't be happier with that.
goodwla wrote:Are you guys saying that depending on the thickness of the FB plates, you may/may not have to insulate?

Please explain more.
You really need to use 1/4" no matter what. The heat is just too much for anything less than that. I have personally warped 1/4" with a hot fire more than once. My RF runs roughly the same with the insulated firebox as it did without it. I think it is a situation of diminishing returns. Insulating the firebox in my experience is really better to keep you from burning yourself than to improve the function of the smoker, overall.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

cemiddle
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cemiddle » April 22nd, 2013, 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the info. I've decided to not insulate and spend the money elsewhere it doesn't sound like the extra money for insulating is worth it when I can use it elsewhere on my cooker.

goodwla
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by goodwla » April 22nd, 2013, 9:23 pm

alleyrat58 wrote:The ceramic has a much higher temp rating. Frank used mineral wool in the last insulated build for SmokerBuilder's gravity-feed model and I couldn't be happier with that.

You really need to use 1/4" no matter what. The heat is just too much for anything less than that. I have personally warped 1/4" with a hot fire more than once. My RF runs roughly the same with the insulated firebox as it did without it. I think it is a situation of diminishing returns. Insulating the firebox in my experience is really better to keep you from burning yourself than to improve the function of the smoker, overall.
My FB is mostly 1/2 inch with the exception of the face that is 5/8 and the bottom that is 3/4. I have considered putting some insulation on the outside and wrapping it with 1/8 skin. Is there a pro/con to this?

Goodwla

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » April 23rd, 2013, 7:03 am

Oh my, that is one heck of a fb! I don't think insulation will make a difference. So my answer is no, don't do if.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 23rd, 2013, 7:13 am

Holy crap… Are you building a tank…to Withstand armor piercing bullets?… I'm going to have to say I agree don't do it… Man I think that thing is probably heavy as a tank isn't it?

goodwla
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by goodwla » April 24th, 2013, 9:40 am

well, it was cheaper than buying new steel. I went to the local scrap yard and they had a lot of 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 plate there that was 19 cents per pound vs the 80ish cents for new.

I will not have to worry about it rusting out anytime soon. :)

Last night had a disaster happen also, when moving the smoker back into the barn to mount it to the trailer, it dropped off the fork lift. landed right on its back. Good news is the FB did not bend at all. bad news is it hit directly on one of the counter weights and bent the door.

Goodwla

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 24th, 2013, 11:21 am

Doh!

Hope you got a Ford to pull that beast with...

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”