Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Wicked Smoke BBQ
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Wicked Smoke BBQ

Need some advice

Post by Wicked Smoke BBQ » July 21st, 2013, 3:43 pm

I've been looking through the plans on here. Great BTW!! Here's what I'm looking to do and maybe this is the better way to start. I've been looking at the 250 and the big 500 gallon propane tanks. We plan to compete in the KCBS events which as most of you know is limited to 4 divisions, chicken, pork, pork ribs and brisket. I would like to have a single large door rather then two smaller doors. Reason for this is the fact that I would like to be able to do a whole hog at some point.

So I guess I'm asking, is it better to do a 250-500 gallon tank, or get custom plans done for a sqaure RF cooker with the space to do up to say a 200lb whole hog?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Need some advice

Post by Frank_Cox » July 21st, 2013, 4:21 pm

Either way is fine. I always say work with what you can get the easiest and most affordable :beer:
Square will be easier to insulate tho.

Wicked Smoke BBQ
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Wicked Smoke BBQ

Post by Wicked Smoke BBQ » July 21st, 2013, 6:30 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:Either way is fine. I always say work with what you can get the easiest and most affordable :beer:
Square will be easier to insulate tho.
And that's where I'm trying to figure that out. Is there a way to figure out how much the difference would be with the tank vs sqaure?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 21st, 2013, 7:02 pm

if you mean difference in cost, then start with if you can find a tank or pipe and how much it will cost you. I would say a 250 gallon tank about 87" long by 30" diam. or pipe the same length and compare to the cost using 1/4" plate and building it the same size.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”