250 gallon upright (noob build)

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
timberwolffxdl
beginner
beginner

250 gallon upright (noob build)

Post by timberwolffxdl » August 1st, 2013, 8:32 am

Hi everyone. I posted this in the new members forum, but for those that don't go visit there, here's my intro:
timberwolffxdl wrote:Hey all. Noobie here, starting from scratch. Had some smoked hog over 4th of July weekend and it was the best I'd ever tasted. Decided I needed a smoker myself. I've got a 250 oil tank and planned to get started with it soon. I actually already cut the lid, perhaps prematurely, but am looking for some design advice before I get to further.

I called smokerplans.net for some advice but got voicemail. I left a fairly detailed message and haven't heard back. That was maybe 4 or 5 days ago. Anyone know if they're on vacation or something?

Anyway, not sure how much I will post vs lurk and learn, but wanted to say hi anyway :)
My understanding is Frank is busy and will get back to me. But in the meantime I come to you guys asking for plans.

All I've done so far is cut the top of the tank, about 8" above the center seam. I chalked a line all the way around and cut it off square. Of course, after doing that I see everyone cuts the front and puts doors on it. Oh well, I'll either scrap the drum or forge ahead based on your advice. My thoughts are to go reverse flow. I have a 30 gallon garage barrel stove that isn't used much anymore. It's basically one of those small barrels that you cut the ends off and install a door and chimney kit (plus some legs). I was thinking of modifying it to be used as the fire box if possible.

I bought about 50-60ft of 1x1 angle iron to get started. My plan is to use that to frame out the top of the tank and the lid to square/stiffen them up and begin creation of the grate support etc.

I honestly haven't thought through much beyond that yet. I was hoping for advice from Frank or you guys before I get back to it. Here's what I'm working with (that's my sone in teh pictures, learning how to use the torch):

Measure, chalk a line and get to cutting

And now we're at the heart of the matter. Luckily, I took some measurements before cutting, because as you can see, the torch warps the s*** out of the panels. I'll make the angle iron support frames to those measurements and square them up so that it will all come back together.

No oil inside, but lots of nasty rust looking crap.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: 250 gallon upright (noob build)

Post by Gizmo » August 1st, 2013, 12:24 pm

Here's a thought…

….how about a firebox door in one end at the bottom.
….a baffle plate above that…
...and a grate above that
...then cut about 4 inches off both ends of the lid you just removed and weld them back where they were.
….hinge what's left of the lid with a strap frame and some firerope to have a better seal
...install the chimney through the end wall at the top above the FB.

Voila! You've got a RF with the firebox underneath the Cook chamber - no need for the other barrel at all. Might even work better considering how thin the metal is on those barrels.

FWIW :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

timberwolffxdl
beginner
beginner

Post by timberwolffxdl » August 1st, 2013, 12:34 pm

having the firebox under the baffle plate won't create uneven heat?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » August 1st, 2013, 12:56 pm

It didn't on Edgar.

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

mofomatic
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by mofomatic » August 1st, 2013, 6:32 pm

what if you built the fire box into the bottom of the main tank, and make it a center feed. us a piece of plate to cover the fire box, make the correct sized opening, and then put your baffle plate above that.

timberwolffxdl
beginner
beginner

Post by timberwolffxdl » August 1st, 2013, 6:38 pm

mofomatic wrote:what if you built the fire box into the bottom of the main tank, and make it a center feed. us a piece of plate to cover the fire box, make the correct sized opening, and then put your baffle plate above that.
now that's an interesting idea...

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » August 1st, 2013, 7:25 pm

That's actually the exact layout of Edgar…. baffle plate gap would be on both ends with a center stack.
On this tank the stack could be the counterweight/lid support :D

mofomatic
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by mofomatic » August 1st, 2013, 8:17 pm

thats a good idea. make the center mounted stack the counter weight. i didn't want a seperate counter weight sticking out on mine,so i just made it so the stack was centered, and the door opens up over center and rests on the stack.

but yeah. stack on the door. could be very clean looking. maybe next time.

i dont think the firebox under the middle of the baffle plate isn't anything to worry about. not much different from an regular reverse flow with the fire box off to one side. if you use 1/4" plate it should be fine. if you go center feed with gaps on both sides of the baffle, the temps work out nice.

timberwolffxdl
beginner
beginner

Post by timberwolffxdl » August 1st, 2013, 8:44 pm

Great stuff so far everyone!