New Member needs a little help with his smoker

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
jaybird302
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: I'm a Dude...
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: New Member needs a little help with his smoker

Post by jaybird302 » November 26th, 2013, 10:45 am

agspecialties wrote:Next question, with lots to come I bet.
After doing the pit calculator and coming up with the number that we need. In the air intake section, what is the COUNT for ? We have an opening of 24x6 with the intake of 64.80 inch squared at Count .45. What does this mean??

That refers to how many openings you need at a given size. Since yours is saying you need .45 that is saying your air inlet is more than twice what you need. I like the idea of having more air than not, but the one your looking at might be a bit excessive...

The Monster: 60 Gal Compressor tank RF Offset Smoker. It's big, it's ugly and it has golf cart tires...

Future build will be a trailer build...

I need more tools...

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » November 26th, 2013, 10:53 am

As long as you can adjust it easily so you can achieve the same results once cooking your fine. I prefer a smaller one on each side of the Fb so I can adjust depending on the wind blowing from one direction or the other. But Jay is correct your inlet is bigger than required.

TWSS

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » November 26th, 2013, 2:01 pm

:yth:
With two air inlets. one on either side or either end of the FB. I think it is easier to control CC temps, especially if the wind is blowing. My FB is round and I have an adjustable air inlet on both ends. With the smoker turned with one air inlet upwind and the other one down wind I find it easier to control CC temp by only partially opening the upwind air inlet, then leaving it alone and adjusting the air flow to control CC temp with the down wind air inlet. My smoker is a small patio model but the principle should be the same, big or small.

jaybird302
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by jaybird302 » November 26th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Ag, how'd it go today?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 26th, 2013, 7:14 pm

I like a draft at about double the required size. It's perfect for lighting a chimney INSIDE the FB - sheltered from the wind.
Because the dam wind never stops here.
Once I dump the chimney and add fuel and close it up I just slide the draft back down in the recommended zone and keep on cooking.

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 26th, 2013, 8:23 pm

OK guys here is what we did today.
We went from a 4" inlet tube

To this, I think we ended up a 29 x 6 inlet

We installed three 1/4 baffle plates

Also cut out that little short 4" pipe and added in a 38" x6" pipe on the other side of the cooker.

Tomorrow we are going to fire it up and see what happens. Really the only question I have is should we use just wood or wood and charcoal?
Also I have watched a lot of videos on how to start a smoker, every one is different. So what is the easiest way to get this monster breathing flames.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 26th, 2013, 8:32 pm

How big is your BP gap? I can't see it in the pic.

Probably follow Frank's video - how to light a fire in a RF …. or something like that…. maybe somebody can link you to it here…. Personally I would like 2 chimney of charcoal, dump them in the center of the fire box and cover them with about 4 chimneys of unlit charcoal and let the heat build for about an hour - then start adding whatever fuel you want…. but I like to sneak up on the fire the first time so I can determine my minimum fire to reach temp quickly.

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Gizmo wrote:How big is your BP gap? I can't see it in the pic
We left a 12" there. I was wondering about that. What do you think on that, we can more or take out more.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 26th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Very nice changes to your cooker. I'd bet you will see some big differences as soon as you fire it up. While you may still need to makes some changes it looks like you are on the better path

I am just wondering a stupid question. Is your 29x6 inlet, above or below your baffle plate? I can't tell from the picture
Last edited by Puff on November 26th, 2013, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » November 26th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Watch Franks video on how to start a RF smoker. It's by far the easiest way to start the beast. Some people might tell you to fill the box with wood and use a weed burner torch to light the fire. This works, but takes more time for the cooker to come up to temp.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 26th, 2013, 9:07 pm

That seems a little large to me. I was thinking about a 6 inch gap to start. That should be about the same area as the new throat you cut.

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 26th, 2013, 9:12 pm

what heats up the CC faster, Charcoal or wood?

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 26th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Gizmo wrote:That seems a little large to me. I was thinking about a 6 inch gap to start. That should be about the same area as the new throat you cut.
I can add 6 inches to the BP. We can do that tomorrow before we light it up.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 26th, 2013, 11:08 pm

I would add the 6'' to keep the throat and BP gap the same size. I think a lot of guys use charcoal to get it started and then burn wood. If you go with wood you'll need to be sure it's seasoned (dry) or you'll struggle to keep temps up.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 27th, 2013, 7:35 am

I agree with BigT. I've always heard that charcoal actually puts out about 30% more heat by volume than wood but lump charcoal is hotter than briquettes and likely more reliable as to quality of hardwood. Since you're not cooking on this burn the charcoal is prolly all you'll need. Around here I would save my wood for a real cook so I can take advantage of the flavor…. but that's me.

Remember: Low and slow … you can't rush physics - on a rig this size I'm guessing that heating up all that steel will take 1 to 2 hours before it stabilizes…. :D

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 27th, 2013, 10:20 am

well guys we fired it up this morning at 845 with in 20 mins and a bag of charcoal, it was 7 Degrees outside we hit 100 in the cooking chamber. We are excited to see that, because with the first fire up it was 30 out side and it took 3 hours just to bring the thing up to 100 with smoke rolling out everywhere. Now the only smoke is coming from the stack.
Will keep you guys posted

jaybird302
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by jaybird302 » November 27th, 2013, 10:40 am

agspecialties wrote:well guys we fired it up this morning at 845 with in 20 mins and a bag of charcoal, it was 7 Degrees outside we hit 100 in the cooking chamber. We are excited to see that, because with the first fire up it was 30 out side and it took 3 hours just to bring the thing up to 100 with smoke rolling out everywhere. Now the only smoke is coming from the stack.
Will keep you guys posted

Well done guys, I hope it keeps going that way. Just out of curiosity... Does the lid on you FB seal tightly? I'm wondering if you're losing heat out of it, especially since you mentioned that you had gotten it hot enough to warp. Some toggle clamps and some fire rope would make quick work of that. Just a thought.

Jay

The Monster: 60 Gal Compressor tank RF Offset Smoker. It's big, it's ugly and it has golf cart tires...

I need more tools...

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 27th, 2013, 11:07 am

UPDATE:::::
Ok guys the FB is sealed tight.
At a hour and 5 mins, the cc is at 225 degrees and its about 10 degrees outside with no wind. Give me another half hour and it should be up to temp.

Then what do we do? Choke her down or just let it rip??

jaybird302
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by jaybird302 » November 27th, 2013, 11:57 am

agspecialties wrote:UPDATE:::::
Ok guys the FB is sealed tight.
At a hour and 5 mins, the cc is at 225 degrees and its about 10 degrees outside with no wind. Give me another half hour and it should be up to temp.

Then what do we do? Choke her down or just let it rip??
Thanks for the clarification on the FB, I thought I'd check 'cause you never know....

Since this is a trial run, I'd say let it get stabilized and then try some slight tweeks to see how it reacts. That way once you're cooking you know how it will respond.

Jay

I need more tools...

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 27th, 2013, 12:08 pm

UPDATE
2 hours and 9 mins into the start up we are at 350 on one end and 300 on the other end. Now we are going to start to play with around with it.
Its about 12 degrees outside with a 5 mph wind from the south. The firebox is facing the wind.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 27th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Jay has the right idea here.

And you have a perfect opportunity right now to find out at what draft setting you are able to pull the temp down with. You must make sure you have a little unlit fuel in the FB during this whole test to prevent a false reading but move the draft closed in about 1/2 inch increments and wait 10 minutes at each step to see if it drops. When it does drop then go one more step (or half step) closed to verify it. This is the "brakes" of your system and it's the single most important draft setting you need to know.

And here comes the debatable part - do you have a damper on the stack? If so then follow your draft with the stack damper at least roughly. If you're at half draft then half stack too and so on - you kind of have to get a feel for this one though but it will make a noticeable difference. Good luck! - sounds like you turned the corner on this project… :D

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 27th, 2013, 1:59 pm

First off :welcome:
Looks like the guys have got you cooking! You definitely are nailing it down and are gonna have a cooker to be envied.
You are at the fun part now. Learn the draft and make samples while doing so, and if time allows, a few refreshments after closing time!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 27th, 2013, 2:36 pm

This sure came about quickly. Congratulations

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 27th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Sounds like you've got it going your way now. How did the rest of your test run go ?

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » November 27th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Big T wrote:Sounds like you've got it going your way now. How did the rest of your test run go ?
everything went really good. We played around with it till we ran out of wood. Then we closed her down. Saturday we are going to fire her up and cook on her for the first time. I feel pretty good about it. We maintained 300 for hours in cold weather so i am thinking we should be allright.
This is what i am thinking and tell me if i am wrong.
First i am going to get the charcoal going and then add some ash wood to preheat and get her up to temp. Once to temp i am going to add some cherry wood and throw the meat on and maintain the heat with cherry. Is that a good idea? I am thinking that i shouldn't use the cherry to get the monster going, or should I??