Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: New builder question

Post by Gizmo » January 23rd, 2014, 5:47 am

Oh now you went a pushed my "Mr. Science/History" button…..

Short comment: Tanner, Puff is correct.

Long explanation:

When you talk about opening sizes you are talking about 2 dimensional requirements. Generally that's all you need to be concerned with - until you get to the stack. The stack's job is to help maintain the draft once established - i.e. create a slight vacuum at the top end of the system to help keep the air moving through. It's ability to do that is based on it's internal capacity - the QUANTITY of hot air inside it that's trying to get out. This is why the original wood-fired railroad steam engines had funnel stacks. They had to increase the volume of the stack to keep a good draw against a wood fire WITHOUT getting too tall to clear the overhead obstructions/tunnels etc. When the railroads could buy coal far enough west along their coast-to-coast routes they then converted their fleet to coal in the early 1900's and the funnel stack went away. If they weren't such a pain to build, the funnel stack design would look cool on a cooker and it would probably fit through the garage door too!

Just remember the old hot-rodders adage "There's no substitute for cubic inches".

Here's the last paragraph - I promise…..

In a well-sealed rig, the stack is the draft's best friend. I've always felt - and I can almost prove it - the stack damper should roughly follow the movements of the draft. It seems when I do that my draft adjustments are more effective.Following this reasoning to it's logical conclusion you would not want to drift too far away from the pit calc recommendations because an oversized stack should tend to make your draft hyper-critical and "touchy" to adjust.

Now I feel better - Whew! …. I have to go sit down for a bit ….. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

vizion
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by vizion » January 23rd, 2014, 11:15 am

:welcome:

I'm the only one with a vizion... everyone else wears biphocals...

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » January 23rd, 2014, 2:05 pm

Great stack explanation Gizmo! I've always wondered about those "funnel stacks" on those old steam locomotives. As my daddy used to say "when you open that steam valve something is going to happen!" He spent many years working on steam powered oil drilling rigs.

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » January 23rd, 2014, 7:48 pm

We followed the pit calc. First sized as 6 and then sized as 4. So if I am understanding the reason the smaller pipe is taller and capable of working is due to the increased draft or vaccumn created from the taller height? Wow a lot more science than I would have thought in building a smoker.

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » January 23rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

once you get it figured out, its clear as mud! :huh:

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » January 23rd, 2014, 8:01 pm

That's funny -clear as mud :kewl:

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » January 25th, 2014, 9:00 am

Started the smoker up for its first real burn. Surprising how fast it gets hot considering its only 18 degrees outside. There was a little bit of condensation leaking out from the front cover, but that stopped after about 10 minutes. Is the concept to get a bed of coals or to keep the fire big? When there is a lot of wood in there you have to max out the air to keep it from getting too smokey.
Attachments
smoker6.jpg

dwwantasmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Redneck in training

Post by dwwantasmoker » January 25th, 2014, 9:55 am

WOW that's a fire! I'm no pro but looks like your fire is to big to me I have a 275 gal fuel tank RFS and my fires are half that size. Have you watched the video on building a fire in a RFS? I would start with 1 chimney of charcoal and 1 fist size split of wood, then let it level out for 35 mins then add 2 more splits and see where your temps are? Then you won't warp your fire box by getting it to hot and you will have a more manageable fire. But i'm sure some one will be along shortly with some pro advise. :D

dwwantasmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Redneck in training

Post by dwwantasmoker » January 25th, 2014, 9:56 am

By the way :LG: :beer: :beer:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 25th, 2014, 1:26 pm

I'd say your fire is way too big, I'm not sure that you'll be able to control your temperature with a fire that size. As DWS said, you should watch the video on building a fire in a RF, it will give you a pretty good idea on how to go about running your fire. It will take you a few times to figure out how your cooker reacts to adjustments and adding fuel but once you figure it out it'll be just like riding a bike. :LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 25th, 2014, 1:58 pm

This will sound a bit different as I have only lit my 275 tank to provide some heat while working outside, so far. I've started it with two chimneys of charcoal and one they where about 1/3 white, added 3 splits of oak about 18" long and 3" around ( soda/beer can) about 35-40 minutes added 2 more splits.

That fire, when roaring, was about 1/2 the size. Warping the firebox was not too much of a concern, I was looking for any gaps in my seams and just measuring temps under variable conditions. The fire flames in my box reached across the baffle plate at times showing up in the gap, 57" away for a few seconds in the beginning. Once controlled I could get 400 degrees air temp in the tank...but it was full tilt burning

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » January 27th, 2014, 9:42 am

:LG:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » January 27th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Now that he is done with his build I am starting mine.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
18x18x28 with a 14x14x16 Fire box. Reverse flow with a Baffle plate. Decided to make it rectangular to maximize the space inside. Just a small patio model to play around with on the weekends. 3/16" thick.
It sure seems small compared to the one just finished. I have it tacked up and just need to figure out how or what I am going to do for the front door. Any suggestions
Attachments
smokert1.jpg
smokert2.jpg

Big T

Post by Big T » January 27th, 2014, 8:09 pm

That's a nice sized cooker there.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 27th, 2014, 8:26 pm

I agree... Not gigantic to eat wood and sized well for family cooks. I brought home a compressor tank, 80 gal. But my next build is one like this. I loved Gizmos unit. Just so ideal and you never need to go hunting for tanks. Just pick a size and start. Look forward to seeing your progress

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Tinker
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: I'm working on it

Post by Tinker » January 27th, 2014, 9:56 pm

what is the hole in the end of the cook chamber is that for the stack?

jafo28
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by jafo28 » January 27th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Tanner that looks great! The dimensions are almost the same as the one i'm building, except my CC is vertical instead of on it's side. Here's a link to my build thread, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3457

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » January 28th, 2014, 8:31 pm

what is the hole in the end of the cook chamber is that for the stack?
That is for the stack. I am going to use schedule 10 in a 2.5 inch diameter. I read that it works better closer to the grill surface but looking at it I wish I went a little higher.

Big T

Post by Big T » January 28th, 2014, 9:18 pm

It's not too late to change it and I agree that it should be higher. I also know that a lot of guys put them down low and that they work just fine so I think you'll be fine either way.

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » January 28th, 2014, 9:49 pm

My brothers stack is pretty close to the rack. Mine is sticking through the top far enough to weld it on. His builds up what looks like a thick creosote on everything above the stack. He burns it clean too. Nice thin blue smoke. Mine looks like a seasoned pan.

-----
Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx™

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » February 1st, 2014, 7:17 pm

So one smoker is finished and mine is coming along pretty well. Not done in time for the Superbowl, but maybe by next weekend.
Still have to finish some welding and I am going to add a shelf in front of the doors and also down below a box for wood storage. A handle on the side for pushing it around and a mount for the digital thermometer that I have
Does anybody have a good idea on the best way to make a hole that wont leak for a digital thermometer probe.
Attachments
smokera.jpg
smokerb.jpg
smokerc.jpg
smokere.jpg
smokerf.jpg

Tanner01
beginner
beginner

Post by Tanner01 » February 1st, 2014, 7:20 pm

The two smokers side by side
Attachments
smokerH.jpg

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » February 1st, 2014, 7:42 pm

Great lookin' smokers Tanner. :kewl: Happen to be working on one now similar to the one on the left

Tinker
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: I'm working on it

Post by Tinker » February 1st, 2014, 8:17 pm

They really look nice

Big T

Post by Big T » February 1st, 2014, 9:02 pm

I drilled some 1/4 holes in my CC and welded a 1/4 nut on the inside of the CC. I just put a 1/4 bolt in it when not in use and it doesn't leak too bad when I have my leads through the hole. I have heard some guys put a piece of rope gasket in the hole to stop it from leaking and I used to put a piece of metal duct tape over the leads but I don't do that anymore.