Baffle Plate end gap on centre feed

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Baffle Plate end gap on centre feed

Post by PetesMeat » April 1st, 2014, 1:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just sorting out the baffle plate on my centre feed smoker. Someone said to make the gap equal the throat opening, which pitcalc says should be 78 sq inches

I have done the maths and this works out to a mere four inch gap, which when devided by two is only two inch gap at each end. This does not seem like a lot....

The cook chamber is 49x19inches footprint, so the baffle would be 19 deep by 45 with a two inch gap, which equates to a 76 square inch gap, which is pretty close to the throat opening size.

What should I do? Make it as per the maths (i can always cut a bit more off the end of the plate if I need to) or just make the gap a bit bigger.... Hmmm. Decisions....

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Re: Baffle Plate end gap on centre feed

Post by bluecatfish » April 1st, 2014, 2:24 pm

I would make it just a little bigger. In my opinion if it is smaller than throat opening it would hamper the heat and smoke flow through the CC. I think it would be easier to add just a little to each end of the BP if needed than cut it.
jm2cw

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » April 1st, 2014, 2:31 pm

Well right now, the throat opening is very oversized (144 sq inch, recommended size is 78) I am going to have sliding adjustable baffle plates, as my design allows for it very easily and I have spare steel of the right size.

My thought though, with Centre feed, the baffle plate and the throat opening is kind of one and the same thing...? I have a shaddow plate over the opening and surely the restriction of airflow will happen at the baffle plate gaps, so why bother restricting it twice? M feeling is to let the air come out of the oversized throat then the slow down will happen under the baffle plate. This may even help distribute heat, as more heat is retained under the baffle.

What do you think?

Pete.

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » April 1st, 2014, 2:33 pm

This is the throat and shadow plate as it is now. I added up the four openings around the shaddow plate, adds up to 96sq inches, so that will act as a bit of a throat too...
Attachments
image-1681491667.jpg
image-3253060950.jpg

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » April 1st, 2014, 5:28 pm

I am anxious to hear what Gizmo has to say about this, he is the expert on center flow.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 1st, 2014, 7:54 pm

Me too! His Egor design has some similar build elements.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » April 1st, 2014, 9:57 pm

The FB generates 2 things:
REAL hot radiated heat.
Boatloads of REAL hot air.

Radiant:
The bottom surfaces of the roof of the FB and the lid of the "top hat"(shadow plate) takes the first hit from the radiant heat which they then absorb and SLOWLY transfer that heat to it's top surface and re-radiates it on up to the bottom of the main BP and so on....

This gives the convective heat output of the FB a chance to spread the heat ALL over the cabinet and greatly reduces the hot spot that would be right over the FB throat without it. It also helps step down the FB temp to a level in the CC that we like to cook at.

In my opinion the throat in this design is the gap around the edge of the top hat lid - once all that hot air hits the comparatively HUGE volume of the CC it RAPIDLY expands and speeds up and can easily slip through even a small gap.

Convective:
Edgar called for a 72 sq. inch throat so that's exactly what I gave him. I designed him with adjustable BP gaps at both ends. I ended up adjusting those gaps to about 3/4 inch on each end which is a total combined gap of 30 sq. inches. Sounds constrictive doesn't it? What you need to remember is that you can pass the same amount of air through a smaller opening if it's Much Hotter and thinner and very highly motivated (faster) especially when you add the stoking qualities of the cabinet/draft/stack etc. I wouldn't worry much about the numbers you've listed so far - shouldn't be a big deal.

Then again I could be completely wrong. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 1st, 2014, 11:59 pm

Good grief Gizmo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » April 2nd, 2014, 6:23 am

So in a nutshell gizmo, your saying leave the top hat as it is and have the baffle plate gaps adding up to the requires throat size?

Pete

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 2nd, 2014, 6:42 am

That's the biggest gap they'll ever need to be. You can always add a steel plate to each to close it off if you want to experiment with a smaller gap(s) later. :D

Sorry DC but I think that is actually what's going on in one of these things….. :oopssign:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » April 2nd, 2014, 7:44 am

I'm not sure Gizmo, but I think DC is commenting on the last line in your very nicely said explanation.

"Then again I could be completely wrong. :D"

When I read that I wanted to say the same thing he did, when I stopped laughing.

:beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 2nd, 2014, 9:16 am

Well yeah… The guy writes a novel… And then at the very and throws stick a dynamite in the pond…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » April 2nd, 2014, 9:34 am

:explode2: =)) =)) =)) =))

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 2nd, 2014, 11:27 am

Mongo like dynamite! :bigfoot:

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”