A couple of questions for the old guard.....

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
midwestsmoker
beginner
beginner

A couple of questions for the old guard.....

Post by midwestsmoker » June 17th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Well the scavenger hunt for flat stock and other material is about completed. I should be starting to build within the next few days. I have ran the numbers in the pit calculator for a rectangular, reverse flow, offset smoker, cc = 32x24x20. I have the specs for the firebox, stack length, throat opening , etc. but need some helpful advise on the following:

1) The Pit calculator says I need a throat opening approx. 46.66 sq in. I was going to make an opening 4x12 (48sq in) and place the baffle plate directly above the throat opening, giving me a 4x32x20 chamber for the smoke and heat travel. This, to me anyway, seems like a small opening to feed a large space. I have to trust the pit calculator, but I feel I need to make the throat larger, 4x16 or 4x18. Any advise?????

2) My cooking chamber, as stated above, will be 24" tall. I am planning on installing 3 - 24x20 shelves. The first shelf will be approx. 4" above the baffle plate, while the 2nd shelf will be 6.5" above the first and the third shelf will be 6.5" above the second. The shelves will be able to be pulled out, giving me access to the surface area. My question is,,,, is three shelves too many? should I go with two shelves? This is to be a "backyard smoker", not meant to feed the masses. Having said that, I would like three shelves if feasible.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated. The plasma cutter and welders are warming up!

Thanks..

The Midwestsmoker...

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: A couple of questions for the old guard.....

Post by SmokinFF » June 17th, 2014, 5:34 pm

The pit calc is the bible. I'd run with the numbers. If you veer to far from the answers, you'll be chasing your tail to get your temps right.
Put 3 shelves in. It's easier to do now then wish you'd done it. If one gets in the way while cooking bigger pieces of meat, pull it out. Hope this helps. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » June 17th, 2014, 5:59 pm

As SFF stated, follow what the pic calc says. As far as the shelves, I would go with three. It will come in handy when you do something thin like ribs but can be removed for thicker cuts of meat.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

midwestsmoker
beginner
beginner

Post by midwestsmoker » June 17th, 2014, 7:57 pm

thanks for the comments......I appreciate it... ....(ouch that welding tip is hot!!)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » June 18th, 2014, 5:50 am

Take a tape measure to the meat department at your favorite grocery store. I think you'll find the 6.5 inch gap to be too small.
More like a pair of 8" would do a better job for you when cooking butts and brisket. 2 - 8's equals 16 (17 with gate thickness) then divided by 3 will give you 3 - 5's more or less which would be fine for ribs and the like. You can also put in the top and bottom only and do a whole turkey on the bottom with a rack deep enough for a pan of stuffing on the top. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 18th, 2014, 6:38 am

Yep, I agree with these guys!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 18th, 2014, 6:55 am

Your CC is 24" x 20" and 32"H? That's more of a vertical smoker. The typical RF calculations may not apply. Why not a straight vertical with the FB directly underneath?

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators