firebox question on new build reverse flow.

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
midwestsmoker
beginner
beginner

firebox question on new build reverse flow.

Post by midwestsmoker » November 17th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Hi...building a rectangular reverse flow smoker, have a question on the firebox....

Which is better...A top loading or side loading firebox? Any one have a preference?
I am thinking of a top loading...but my friend who is helping build it prefers a side loading...... dimensions will be 16x16x18...If that makes a difference.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: firebox question on new build reverse flow.

Post by Rodcrafter » November 17th, 2014, 4:07 pm

I have one of each and they both work great. One thing to consider is hinges not all hinges will take that extreme heat as the door on top endures. My side door FB has a fire basket that slides for loading the first chimney of coals and after that I have an opening in the end of it that will allow me to throw splints in each time I need them. I have a fire basket in my top loader too, but it just makes the sticks stay where I want them and that is awesome too.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 17th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I was going over this on Saturday with the smoked turkey. I had to slide out the fire basket to load the coals when it first was lit. Subsequent refills were a bit sketchy because as the basket was slid out while burning, the shaking effect spread coal ash and lit sparks up in the air and down on the ground.

Was actually thinking how to re-fuel in an easier way without the Sparks and flame shooting up in the air. Problem is that since I am adding the warming cabinet, a top load would not work. Something I thought of might be to have an open face fire basket but a shadow plate on the door that when closed, acts as the front of the fire basket withou really being attached. It would allow you to feed in wood or charcoal without trying to slip it through a small gap

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

midwestsmoker
beginner
beginner

Post by midwestsmoker » November 17th, 2014, 5:26 pm

thanks to all who responded... still not sure which way to go.... a few more brewskies and think about it.....

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 17th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Puff,
Look at the picture of my fire basket in the thread named Brisket from this weekend. I think it will give you both of the things that you are looking for.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 17th, 2014, 7:47 pm

That's the mod I will need to make on the fire basket. Mine is essentially the same without the cutout. My guess is the additional fire exposure to the door is not a problem? I also have a 2" X brace on the door.

Thanks again... Gee twice in two days!

Midwestsmoker, check out the BRISKET post that Rodcrafter is mentioning. You may see something in a different light

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life