Starting # 3 80 gallon RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Starting # 3 80 gallon RF

Post by Big T » December 17th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Puff, I know it was a lot of work but it looks great! I do agree that if you're going to make it by Christmas, you're gonna have to kick it in overdrive!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 18th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Playing it safe... Taking tomorrow off by Monday, I'd better be done. It may not have a stack but she'll be ready. No one around here sell pipe less tha 1/4"

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by bbroper » December 18th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Puff, you lost me on the part where the angle meets the firebox. Did you place the angle inside the firebox and that is what you welded?

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 18th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Oh...what I'd did was build in a recess in the doors the way Frank did with MACK. When I placed the angle iron against the flat plate, it created a thin line between the two parts. I welded the back in a bunch of spots but did it blindly. Big T suggested I weld it solid and then grind the Welds. I had to grind them as I'm no where near a perfect a welder as Frank. Those have rythym ... Mine have stress

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... 0&start=70 Check out the bottom picture

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

THEFERMANATOR
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by THEFERMANATOR » December 18th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Puff wrote:Playing it safe... Taking tomorrow off by Monday, I'd better be done. It may not have a stack but she'll be ready. No one around here sell pipe less tha 1/4"
If you know of a driveshaft shop, they have tubing that is about .060-.085 in thickness up to diameters around 4 1/2". I used an old twisted driveshaft I had for my stack because I didn't feel like adding that much weight to use the 1/4" walled stuff I got from the steel place.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 18th, 2014, 7:14 pm

If you have an elec supply house or a hardware store you can use thin wall emt conduit. It is electro galv. If it ever get to the point of off gassing you have bigger problems then metal fume fever. Just saying.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » December 18th, 2014, 7:24 pm

As my father always says.... "I see said the blind man to his deaf wife on the phone".

Thanks Puff.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 18th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Thefermanator, Wow, thanks for that tip.... There is a driveshaft place a few miles in the next town. THAT solves a big problem. My only other source is about 10 days in delay and $20.00 to ship all for a 3 1/2" $20.50 pipe 42" long.

By the way....that is the exact same reason....exact!

There was an interesting discussion on the gassing of galvanized metal several months back...from what I had read about that metal fume fever....nah...

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 19th, 2014, 8:30 am

I sure wouldn't worry about it on the exhaust pipe since the air will continue to move out

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 19th, 2014, 9:39 am

I can use some cheap clothes dryer vent tube temporarily or just for the finished look if by some chance I run ito delays.

Well, I'm heading out side after another cup of mud...by the way, my daughter gave me this years ago and rediscovered it two weeks ago....makes a great great cup( quart ) of coffee. You pour hot water over the coffee grounds, let it sit 3-4 minutes, press it through a plunger screen and presto....coffee ....with really good flavor!
image.jpg

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » December 19th, 2014, 1:28 pm

ive got one of those french coffee presses puff, and yes they do make a good cup of joe, build looks great! moving along :kewl:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 28th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Spent today firing up this smoker. They net result is terrific.i like this so much but I made it as a gift to my son so it's at his place. But using it is a joy.

A few things I do notice...

Because of the shorter firebox, standard cut wood , as I cut, is too long so I sliced through a bunch of oak to make it all about 12 inches long. The fire basket is about 15" in a 17" long firebox.

Temps rise quickly in a small cook chamber. It maintains 240 with ease and brought it to 350 within about 10 minutes by opening up the dampers. They're 8" x 2" and with 1" open on each side it is very steady
My weight ratio is not what I would like. I may actually add 30 or 40 lbs to the side opposite the FB. If you were going to lift the light side to roll over a hump, you can almost feel it tipping towards the FB.

No leakage from the removable square 4" stack, throat size in the cc seem like it came out right. All of the doors are framed with 3/4" angle and they are 3/16" thick....I thnk I could have used lighter 14 gauge steel for the doors instead.

I sprayed the black with a compressor and spray gun. The firebox smoked for a long time until the paint "cured"

I sum it all up saying this is as nice as I could hope for. I may sell my 275 and trailer and build another one of these for me. The tank is in the yard so ... Thanks pit calculator..!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 28th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Puff, I'm glad to hear that she's performing as expected (as if there was ever any doubt). I know what you mean about the size of your 275, I use my 26''x48'' to cook 2 racks of ribs and it just doesn't seem right. I built another UDS and have been using it but the flavor just ain't the same, not bad just different. I'd like to build a small RF like this one for myself but I need to scrounge up some material. Congrats on another job well done! :ymapplause:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 28th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Good job Puff

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 28th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Big T... Exactly

I was so energized when the thought of trying to build a pit slammed into my head. Then a friend said... " I've got a tank for you". Then he delivered it to the house the next day. He said..." I'm glad it's outta my yard" I don't even remember how I found Franks plans but when I did, it was like a winning ticket.

16 months later, you and I are talking about other smokers like they were soda cans. When I did two racks in the 275 they were lost and lonely. That unit is bigger an I stand under it. This one I stand over it. Like the difference between a pony and a big horse.
It adds up fast when you walk out of the steel store with a hundred dollars in material or supplies each week. Very glad the pit calculator likes me

Hi RC.... The gravity feed door is at my friends house getting ready for the stuff I sent you.... Hope he moves at a faster pace than I know him for.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 28th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Glad to hear it's running so good puff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!