Thoughts on Water Pans???

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
evotech
beginner
beginner

Thoughts on Water Pans???

Post by evotech » August 28th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Hello,

I am about to start a RF design based on a 275 gallon oil tank. I have all the basic design elements picked out, but I would like to hear peoples thoughts on a water pan vs traditional baffle. It would not take too much more work to make a pan instead of a flat baffle, but the question is....Does the water make any difference at all? Thanks in advance.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Thoughts on Water Pans???

Post by mp4 » August 28th, 2015, 3:51 pm

I've only just started cooking in my RF and the one hog I cooked was in no need of humidity...and the ribs weren't too shabby either. I don't think it's necessary and I think that most folks here would agree based on some of the research I did when building mine.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » August 28th, 2015, 7:57 pm

With a RF a water pan is not needed....if you run your pit correctly and size it right it will never be necessary…

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » August 28th, 2015, 10:06 pm

:yth:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 28th, 2015, 10:30 pm

I don't use a water pan in my RF and I've never had any problems.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 29th, 2015, 7:17 am

In my experience the water pan puts monitor in the air but it doesn't go into the meat. It acts like an heat sync when full and doesn't help in the cooking process. If I was trying to reduce the amount of radiant heat coming from a baffle plate. I would rather use sand on the plate.
Jm2cw

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

CaliforniaSmoke
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by CaliforniaSmoke » August 29th, 2015, 11:38 am

I don't have any experience with a RF, but I agree with what Rodcrafter said.

I know my pit is hotter in the back, and I usually put a couple of loaf pans with water on that part of the grill. I do this both to block the radiant heat and to put some moisture into the air. But it's not critical to do on my pit, it doesn't make a huge advantage and I only worry about it on certain kinds of cooks when I'm particularly worried about uneven heat and potentially drying out the meat.

I don't believe that the moisture goes into the meat, but I believe a more humid environment slows moisture already in the meat from evaporating. I don't have any proof of that though, it just makes sense to me logically.

I also think a high humidity environment will probably cook a little faster too, as the moisture helps conduct the heat. Again, this is just my supposition, but it makes sense to me in the same way that a humid day feels hotter than a dry day.

I'd bet that the type of pit you're cooking on makes a huge difference in the usefulness of having a water pan too. If you have a lot of direct heat I'd bet a water pan is really important. With an offset cooker, less so, and with a reverse flow or anything with a good baffle system, probably even less so.

This has ben a subject that I've wondered about too. Someone should do a big government funded scientific study of different kinds of pits with and without a water pan. I love a good scientific study, and it would be great to see one that involved BBQ!

======
My Blog on stuff I make: http://www.mcglynnonmaking.com

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » August 30th, 2015, 3:10 pm

I agree CaliSmoke. The type of cooker really drives the use of a water pan.
I think a water pan helps with hot n fast cooks (ie...Myron Mixon). He cooks hot n fast and uses a water pan.
I know backwoods smokers preform way better if you use the water pan. I tried not to and it was a pain to control temps.
Altho I think a RF or OF prolly do not need water pans.
I believe the water pan dies what was already stated it keeps the moisture environment in check allowing the meat to stay moist. I do not believe a water pan puts moisture in the meat. I believe it keeps it from drying out.
Jm2w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN