Newbie Questions on my first build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Newbie Questions on my first build

Post by Neon.Dove » January 31st, 2016, 4:55 pm

Hey folks,
I joined the forum a few weeks ago. What an incredible resource! Thanks to all of you who keep this site up, really impressed. I've been digging through many topics over the past many days in search of inspiration, ideas, advice, etc. for my first build.

I live in Brooklyn, NY and am lucky to have a backyard. I finally want to fulfill a dream of mine to build my own bbq smoker. So I took all the necessary first steps, took a welding class to learn some ins and outs and rented space at a local welding studio.

I looked all over the city, but unfortunately could not find a propane tank for the life of me so it's looking like I have to build the entire thing from scratch. Since this is my first foray into welding, and working on such a big project, I wanted to ask you folks if you have any tips, or see anything flawed in my design...here it is:

First, I was planning on just doing a classic offset with no reverse flow. I'm thinking to get a 1/4inch steel sheet rolled up for a cylindrical CC. 36" long and 18" diameter. I calculated my FB should be a 14.5" cube, I was surprised the throat is so small. I figure this will fit about 2 briskets, and my backyard is not that big.

I've already got the legs built, but before I get the sheet rolled, I wanted to ask y'all about thickness. Is 1/4inch steel the best way to go for the CC and FB? Or is this going overboard? Would I get a good heat retention with a thinner steel? Would be nice to save some bucks somewhere, but at the same time, I don't' want to build a POS.

Also, is it best to build some air vents in the FB? Or does leaving the door open also do the trick?

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I'll definitely post some photos once I get something substantial going...

Really look forward it!!!

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Newbie Questions on my first build

Post by Smurf » January 31st, 2016, 8:21 pm

Hey neon. I'll throw some ideas at ya. 1/4" material great for your build. I've used 3/16" and have had good luck. 18" dia. is kinda small in my opinion,maybe larger dia. and shorter length? Rectangular cc could be an option, easier to work with. Definetly put air vents in your fb. You will find some folks like to put one on each side and low. Check out the pit calculator on this site it will help. You will find this site to be a great resource for building and cooking. Good luck. :beer:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » January 31st, 2016, 8:46 pm

Yep I'd go at least 20" deep. Gizmo used to recommend going to the meat department with a tape measure to make sure the items you want to cook will fit. In my opinion 1/4" is a minimum thickness. Making the whole thing out of flat plate, is a very good idea. That would allow you to have cabinet doors.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 31st, 2016, 10:59 pm

For a first build I would recommend checking out Frank and his smoker plans. Even if you end up designing your own, it is money well spend on proven ideas.

Best suggestion tho is to have fun.

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 1st, 2016, 11:50 am

Thanks a lot for the tips fellas! I think I'll change up my blueprints and make it a rectangular CC. Would also save me some bucks as I wouldn't have to commission the cylinder from an outside entity.

Well, I'll get to it! Once I've got some progress I'll post up some pics.

Cheers!

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » February 1st, 2016, 1:28 pm

Welcome aboard!
1/4 " plate definitely and yes,18" would be too small.At 20" you would have enough space for a smaller 2nd rack on top of the 1st,but if you go rectangle,that would be the ticket!Opens soooo many choices....
Good luck and keep us posted.
(BTW-keep a the look out for the Czar.He's a stickler for :rulz: .His motto is,"no pictures,it never happened,LOL)

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » February 1st, 2016, 3:23 pm

:welcome: sounds like an awesome project, check out Frank's "Mack" build thread, that's a wicked read! :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » February 1st, 2016, 9:17 pm

:welcome:
Squiggle is right, the "Mack" is awesome!

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 22nd, 2016, 1:51 am

Hey guys,

Finally getting rolling. Finished up some smoker blueprints in Sketchup, got my materials at the local steel yard and started welding this weekend...I'll upload photos from my phone in the following post of my progress (it doesn't seem to be working from my computer).

Anywho, I've been digging through the forums tonight for more inspiration and tips .. Mack is indeed incredible, I am certainly not at that level yet!

Nonetheless, I still have a few questions on my build for y'all, if it isn't too much of a bother...

just to clarify, I'm building a rectangular smoker. 36x20x20 with a FB 15.75x15.75x16...here are my queries

1. Baffle Plate. I am not building a reverse flow, just a simple offset. How far out from my CC wall should the BP extend? or, how long should it be? Should the BP be only as wide as the throat? Or is it better that it go from wall to wall in width?
And what about the angle of the BP, I was planning on having it at about a 60 degree angle with the throat. Is perpendicular better? [throat is 4x8 rectangle]

2. grease valve/drain. I will of course have a hole on the bottom of my CC for grease drip. Is it necessary for me to tilt the bottom of the CC in some way, in order to drive the grease towards the drain? Or ok if I leave it flat and the grease will find it's way out?

3. Door. Is a big door generally the better call? I drew up a door that was 22" in my blueprints. leaving about 7" on each side of the door. Will I be regretting this small a door? I'm putting in 2 grates, so 22" should get those in and out fine.

4. FB intake. pit calc recommends a FB intake area of about 12". I was thinking of install 4 horizontal slits of 1x3 . 2 on each side of the FB. or would two 2x3 slits work just as good. I figure no need to put a vent on the front of the FB as I could just crack to door for the same effect. This is probably a dumb question, but I second guess myself about everything! :headwall: :huh:

I don't think I'll put a basket in my FB for now, but I can always add that in the future.

Well, that's all I got. Thank y'all so much for the help! I'd be up in smoke without you ... and not the blue kind!

cheers

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 22nd, 2016, 1:54 am

Here are some photos of my progress so far, All 1/4 plate...
uploadfromtaptalk1456124064785.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456124054341.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456124037055.jpg

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 22nd, 2016, 1:57 am

those were supposed to post in the opposite order.... :jocomp2:

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 22nd, 2016, 6:37 am

FB is a little small. Should be more like 18 x 17 x 16. Shoot for ~105% differential. There is no BP in a standard offset smoker, just tuning plates. See pic.
Offset-Smoker.jpg
As for the height of the tuning plates, you need ~40 sq. in. Throat so if you leave a 2" high opening x 20" long you'll have enough. Leave a 1" grease dam at the very bottom of the throat and install your drain there. The top of the FB is at the top of the throat opening. I would keep the height of the tuning plate rails just above that. Have your lower cooking grate about 4-5" above the tuning plates. I would make the door/s as wide as I could and the grates as well. FB intakes could be bigger because you can always shut them down. It's usually easier to make 2 larger ones than 4. You'll need something to support the wood and coals or you won't get good combustion.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » February 22nd, 2016, 7:18 am

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 22nd, 2016, 11:16 am

Pete,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. And thanks a ton for checking my numbers. Man, I'm an idiot. :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: I checked those numbers a few times, but didn't set it to square rectangular cc (I was originally building a cylinder), and thus calculated my FB to that. Really kicking myself !!!

As per the tuning plates, I am afraid I'm on a bit of a tight budget and don't have the bucks to build out the tuning plates now (though luckily I have enough drop from the other parts to extend the FB). I was just going to leave the CC open and build a baffle over the throat to avoid a major hotspot on that side of the CC. Does that make sense? In this case, I return to my original questions about the drain and whether I need to tilt the bottom of the CC, and also the size and angle of the baffle.
Thanks again for the assistance

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » February 23rd, 2016, 4:06 am

At least mount some angle for the tuning plates to rest on, even if you have to add them later. You will want to add them later. Tilting the smoker can change how it cooks. Usually the FB end is lower so stuff flows to the front of the throat where the drain is. No need for an angled baffle. You'll have plenty of room to keep the FB well below the cooking grate. Your first tuning plate could be 8 or 10" but you could make it bigger if you have more steel.

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 23rd, 2016, 7:49 pm

Pete,
Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it! I'll do exactly that and install a shelf for the tuning plates to rest on. In the future. I probably have enough steel for one. I'll aim to make it about that size. How high above the throat should I set the tuning plates? Or should they be flush with the top of the throat?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 23rd, 2016, 8:19 pm

It can be the same height as the throat or a few inches higher. The main thing is to keep them in the 4''-6'' range from the bottom rack, I try to build my RF with a 4'' gap.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » February 24th, 2016, 6:39 am

:yth:

Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Post by Neon.Dove » February 24th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Thanks a ton guys. Much appreciated. I'll send photos once she's a little more together

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk