fcs
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Taunting Tailgaters

Building a smoker in Denmark, Northern Europe

Post by fcs » March 3rd, 2016, 6:33 am

Dear fellow smokers across the pond.

My name is Peter, I am from Denmark - a small country in Northern Europe, and I would like to build a smoker. I have been grilling all my life and started smoking a couple of years ago. I am the captain of a competitive BBQ team and we compete on a couple of WSMs, a green egg and a few other assorted grills and BBQs.

I want to take my smoking to the next level and get a "real" smoker. So far, I am in the idea stage. My challenge is that I am not a fabricator myself, so I need somebody else to build it for me. I have found a guy who is willing to give it a shot, but before he can get started, I need to get a price estimate from him (this is an important element of the smokers WAF (Wife Acceptence Factor). For him to quote me a price, I need to supply him with some plans and that means that I have to get an overview of my design ready. I have so many questions and so little experience that I decided to ask the gurus... You!! I have browsed through the forums and must say that I am really impressed by what you guys have put together

I want to use my smoker for backyard entertainment, competitions and perhaps a tiny bit of catering along the way. But the primary way I will use it, is going to be for my own personal enjoyment and the occasional competition. Now for the questions:

1. I am under the impression that an RF smoker has a more even temperature throughout the CC compared to direct flow. Is that the only advantage of a RF? (See, I have already picked up some abbreviations from you guys :) ) IS RF the way to go for me taking my usage into consideration?

2. I will be using the smoker in Denmark. It gets cold here during the winter time. Not Wisconsin cold, but we do dip below freezing for extended periods of time (more than a week occtionally). I am assuming that it would be a good idea with an insulated FB? What about insulation of the CC? Any insights into/thoughts about the wonderful effects of insulation on FB and CC?

3. I am thinking about a 24" diameter on the CC, length 48", one door, square FB 24" on all sides, two slide out racks. Based on your builds, I was thinking about using 1/4 inch steel. How does that sound given my thoughts about usage stated above?

4. I was also thinking about having a baffleplate that had som raised edges. This would allow me to use it as a waterpan if I needed it. Is it neccesary or just a bad idea?

5. Anything else I need to consider before embarking on this adventure? What are the most common mistakes a rookie like me is going to make?

Thank you all so much in advance - I really appreciate any and all help I can get in here from this brilliant forum.

Peter

P.S.: Sorry if you can find some spelling mistakes - English is not my first language :)

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Building a smoker in Denmark, Northern Europe

Post by mp4 » March 3rd, 2016, 7:22 am

Welcome aboard! You spelled Wisconsin right so what more can a guy expect.

1.) I think most folks here would tell you RF all day long...

2.) Mine isn't insulated at all and it does ok in the cold...it just uses more wood and need a little more attention. I cooked a couple turkeys when it was 15-20° F and a brisket a month later when it was 20-30° F. I probably used twice as much fuel vs the cooks that were on 80° days. It can't hurt to insulate, especially if you can't get your cooker out of the wind.

3.) That sounds like a good size. Figure out the dimensions of your cooking grates and make sure they are sized right for the food types and quantities you want to cook.

4.) It is my belief that a water pan is counter productive in a reverse flow smoker. You want the juices to hit the baffle plate and steam up the cook chamber with their own flavor filled humidity. Nothing I've cooked yet came out dry...

6.) WAF - let her help with the design...you'll be able to spend more! Mine wanted sturdy fenders on the trailer...and I under estimated how much I was going to spend on mine by $1,000 and we're still on speaking terms. I think she knows to at least double any of my estimates based on past experience so she wasn't too surprised. :-)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 3rd, 2016, 8:46 am

:welcome:

It's going to be fun first, then it's going to be amazing.

The first thing you will want to do is find the "Pit Calculator" on our main page and USE IT.

Then as for insulation, If you make everything out of flat plate the insulation will be much easier. I haven't insulated anything but I live in the tropics of Florida. I only wore a jacket once this year.

RF is in my opinion and experience the best stick burner. Unlike the cookers you have been using you will have to feed this puppy. The insulation will reduce how much you feed her.

It sounds to me like you should check out the thread called "Mack" then insulate it.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » March 3rd, 2016, 11:38 am

:welcome: :welcome:
RF all the way! There are many variables here to consider. First, make a decision on how big to accomadate your needs. Then decide square or round. Square is easier to insulate in my opinion. Then I would suggest contacting Frank Cox for plans and material estimates and cost. Good luck on the build.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 3rd, 2016, 6:27 pm

:welcome: :yth:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 3rd, 2016, 10:40 pm

:welcome: it sounds like the guys have you pointed in the right direction.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 4th, 2016, 3:41 am

Thanks for your kind welcome and quick replies - I really appreciate it!!

@MP4:
Well, I am a huge Packers fan, so I should be able to spell Wisconsin right :). Are you from that area as well?

Thanks for the advice on the water-pan. I will definitely scrap that idea.

Regarding the WAF, she doesn't have a clue about smokers and BBQ, so it may be more trouble to involve her than to just argue over the cost :)

@Rodcrafter:
Thanks for the advice on the pit calculator. As you can see below, I have tried using it. Also a great thanks for pointing me towards the "Mack" thread. A great read with a lot of inspiration.

It looks like a good idea to insulate my FB, so I will do that. I prefer a cylindrical CC, so I'll skip on insulating that - it doesn't sound like a feasible idea. However, how much would I stand to gain if I went with a square CC and insulated that? How big will the difference be between a cylindrical CC and a Square insulated CC if the average temp. I use it in will be app. 60 degree Fahrenheit (it doesn't make this build easier for me that you guys use all different measurements compared to what we do in Europe - But Google is my friend :) )??

I have tried using the calculator and came up with the following:

I am assuming 2 inches of insulation on the sides of the FB, so external dimensions will be 24 inches - same as the diameter of the CC. I will also make two air intakes. I am assuming that these are the vents used to allow air into the FB?

Does that sound like it could Work? Some of the comments I have read in other threads, say that 107% FB size is the sweet spot - how much does it matter that you go a little above or below that number?

How do you calculate the distance from the end of the CC to the beginning of the baffle plate (the baffle plate gap)?

Also, I want to include a ball valve to drain grease from the baffle plate. Do you just scrape out the smoker after you are done or does the baffle plate actually slope towards the drain so that it drains through the valve during the cook?

Sorry for all my rookie questions, but since I am not a fabricator myself, I find some of the concepts difficult and I have to explain them to the person who is going to build it for me.

Thanks again in advance

Peter

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 4th, 2016, 5:16 am

I am assuming 2 inches of insulation on the sides of the FB, so external dimensions will be 24 inches - same as the diameter of the CC. I will also make two air intakes. I am assuming that these are the vents used to allow air into the FB?
Yes

Does that sound like it could Work? Some of the comments I have read in other threads, say that 107% FB size is the sweet spot - how much does it matter that you go a little above or below that number?
~105% is the sweet spot. Stay within 10%.

How do you calculate the distance from the end of the CC to the beginning of the baffle plate (the baffle plate gap)?
Maximum is the size of the throat area. Some go 25% less.

Also, I want to include a ball valve to drain grease from the baffle plate. Do you just scrape out the smoker after you are done or does the baffle plate actually slope towards the drain so that it drains through the valve during the cook?
There is usually a grease dam on the end of the BP in a RF. Doesn't really need to slope towards the drain tho. Some just use a scraper after cooking.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 4th, 2016, 5:50 am

Pete Mazz wrote:

~105% is the sweet spot. Stay within 10%.

If I understand you correctly, that means that I should be in the span of 105% +/- 10%, which means 94,5% - 115,5% of the recommended FB size. Is that correct? In that case, my size looks really good :)

Maximum is the size of the throat area. Some go 25% less.

Should I aim for max, minimum or an average (=throat area - 12,5%)?

There is usually a grease dam on the end of the BP in a RF. Doesn't really need to slope towards the drain tho. Some just use a scraper after cooking.

Thanks Pete :kewl:

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 4th, 2016, 7:27 am

Another quick question: When calculating the size of the firebox, should I look at the complete internal size of the box or only the space above the fire grate?

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 4th, 2016, 7:57 am

BP gap is best at throat area. You could always make it smaller with another piece of metal.

I wouldn't go smaller than 105% but you could go a little bigger if it helps.

FB size includes fire grate and ash pan.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 4th, 2016, 8:12 am

Perfect. Thanks, Pete

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 4th, 2016, 8:25 am

fcs wrote:Another quick question: When calculating the size of the firebox, should I look at the complete internal size of the box or only the space above the fire grate?
The total of the inside of the FB is the number you are working with.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 4th, 2016, 8:29 am

Thanks, Rodcrafter

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 31st, 2016, 5:29 am

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. How much Wood, do you estimate a smoker use on a 12 hours Cook at app. 225 degrees - outside temp app. 60 degrees?

(RF, CC 24*48, insulated FB)

Thanks,

Peter

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » March 31st, 2016, 8:19 am

Once you get a good bed of coals you shudnt have to add a split except every 45-60mins. Yours my be more efficient. Pending your planned cook time. I'm guesstimating less than an 1/8 of a cord of wood. Just don't let you coal bed die down. You actually want to add a split at the sweet spot to not interrupt your smoke. Once your temp starts dropping you are behind IMO.
I was very impressed with my builds efficiency. But I kept her fed. I didn't let her ask for loving.
jm2cw

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » March 31st, 2016, 10:00 am

Thanks, forty_creek. Appreciate it

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » March 31st, 2016, 6:17 pm

Welcome.
You're off to a great start by finding this website!
48" seems a little small IMO.If I were you,I would go with at least 60"length.That will fit a whole hog,roughly 125lb.s
Also there will be plenty of room for goat or lamb as well.And 24"round will be plenty to have a removable 2nd grate.
Better to have too much room than not enough.
Keep us updated,we'd like to see your progress.
And take LOT'S of pictures,LOL
And by all means,BUY SOME PLANS.THEY ARE WORTH IT!!!
GOOD LUCK FROM THE SUNSHINE STATE!

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

fcs
beginner
beginner

Post by fcs » April 2nd, 2016, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, safetyharbourredneck. I appreciate your advice. If I went from 48" to 60" long, how much would that impact fuel consumption?

Cheers,

Peter

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 2nd, 2016, 7:21 pm

Just my 2 cents.....but building a smoker is just like buying a pickup truck. We always want bigger but it is important to determine exactly what we will do with it to get the right size.

I cook for groups of 3 to 50 and my 48 x 24 inch is perfect. It has two 38 inch long racks in the main pipe and I put on a warmer box to add a little more versatility if needed (beans, corn, etc) Too big and you just won't use it. So, determine your group size and meat choice and go from there. True, tho, 48 is just a bit small for a whole hog.....I have no desire to do one tho so that is ok with me.

Another vote for purchasing plans....it will answer most of your questions, give you a defined game plan and allow you to budget your whole build before you start. You can alter them if you want but at least you are starting with a proven design.

Welcome and ask away!