chimney length?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

chimney length?

Post by Enasnidx » June 8th, 2016, 5:50 pm

I need help from you pros - I need to pick up the tubing to do the chimney on my build. Per the calculator, I need 1136.8 cu.in. of chimney volume:

4" dia = 90.51" long
5" dia = 57.93" long
6" dia = 40.23" long

"Many horizontal smokers have an exhaust between 30-40 inches in length...if you are building a horizontal smoker with a vertical cooking cabinet, realize that the cabinet partly acts as exhaust, thus you may greatly shorten the chimney."

The smoker needs to fit in my enclosed trailer which has a ramp opening of about 7' high, so I'm thinking about welding a 90* elbow to the tank and having the straight pipe removable (slip on). Should this work ok?
If so, two considerations for me:
Should I do one long 6" chimney, or should I do two smaller 5" or 4" chimneys? I'm not sure what to do given the required length for appropriate draw. Also, if I use tube with a flared out end to slip the elbow and straight pipe together, would you have the straight pipe flared out and slip OVER the elbow or vice versa? I'm thinking put the straight section into the elbow so no crud drips out of the seam on the outside, it would drip into the smoke stack.

Here's an old pic of the build to give perspective.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: chimney length?

Post by Rodcrafter » June 8th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I did what you're talking about on my backyard RF smoker so it would fit a grill cover. Image
Drippings stay in the pipe.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » June 8th, 2016, 7:24 pm

So would you go one long 6" stack or two 5" stacks?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 8th, 2016, 7:36 pm

The 2 5s would look cool and give no resistance to draft flow. So that. I have 5s on my trailer rig.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » June 9th, 2016, 10:37 am

Rodcrafter wrote:The 2 5s would look cool and give no resistance to draft flow. So that. I have 5s on my trailer rig.

Making memories.
Thanks for all your help on my last few posts!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » June 10th, 2016, 4:30 am

Just a quick question, I noticed you have inflatable tyres on the FB, is it insulated? If not then you'll definitely have some grief when you first fire it up. :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » June 13th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Squiggle wrote:Just a quick question, I noticed you have inflatable tyres on the FB, is it insulated? If not then you'll definitely have some grief when you first fire it up. :beer:
I'm using the super cheap 10" wheels from HF just to roll it around right now. I plan to put on 13" tubeless wheels that can hold more weight. I'm thinking about welding a "fender" from some scrap 3/16" plate that I have from the FB to use as a heat shield between the FB and the tires. Think that would be sufficient to keep the tires from melting?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 13th, 2016, 7:02 pm

You will need something, even solid tires will be getting very hot that close to the heat.

Making memories.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 13th, 2016, 7:23 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » June 14th, 2016, 11:38 am

The thing that makes it a challenge is that this smoker needs to be mobile enough to roll in and out of my trailer for comps (I have a hand winch to pull it up the ramp) and it needs to roll on grass and pavement...hence tires.

Any other ideas? I'm hoping my fender idea will be sufficient, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 14th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Have you seen the wheels Tyler made? They were a slice of 10" pipe then he used 1/2" round stock for spokes the an 3/4" pipe for an hub. Heat won't bother that and its mobile.

Making memories.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » June 14th, 2016, 10:00 pm

I am in the process of building a smoker and I built a cart out of an old riding lawn mower to have the bigger tires to make it easier to move around. Should be easy to pull onto a trailer to transport. I stripped the mower down and reversed the front axle so the tie rods would be in the front, then built a tongue to be able to steer it.
IMG_0199_mini.JPG
IMG_0201_mini.JPG
IMG_0203_mini.JPG
I also did away with the transaxle and built a straight axle.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 15th, 2016, 11:27 am

That's a good plan as long as the FB is high enough to protect the tires.

Making memories.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » June 15th, 2016, 12:09 pm

The FB will be on the tongue end. When I get it all together I still have the old mower back fenders and I will mount them over the smaller front wheels if needed. Hope it all works out as planned. Will start a build thread soon.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 15th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Cool sounds like a good thread to follow too.

Making memories.