Heat output...fire hazard

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 3rd, 2016, 11:02 am

I need to put a tarp/canopy over my smoker to keep rain and sun off me and the cooker. I would Thing is my stack is kinda tall and I'm worried about the smoke/heat coming out of it being a fire hazard. I'm thinking to use a fire retardant tarp for the roof, but I am wondering

1. Is there is a way to measure the temp of the smoke coming out of the stack so I can match it against the temp rating of the tarp material.

2. How much clearance do you think I need between the top of the stack and the tarp material? (I'm thinkin 2-3 ft)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Heat output...fire hazard

Post by Big T » July 3rd, 2016, 12:18 pm

I'm not sure what the exhaust temp would be but I had my big smoker under a lean to and it discolored the painted metal above the stack(only 6'' of clearance). If I was using a tarp for a roof I would leave as much room as possible between them and I would make a heat shield/ deflector about 8-12 inches above my stack. I'm talking about something makeshift just thrown together, a small piece of scrap metal/tin and a piece of pipe or a stick, something to keep the heat from directly flowing on the tarp. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » July 3rd, 2016, 12:44 pm

To measure the temp coming out stick a themometer probe across the stack while using the smoker. Big T is spot on with the deflector above the stack between the tarp. jm2cw

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 3rd, 2016, 2:21 pm

I like the deflector idea... Especially if I have at least 2 feat clearance above the stack.. I'm planning to have 3ft clearance with a fire retardant tarp. Add a thin piece of metal for a heat shield and I should be in business!
I don't care about discoloration... I know the smoke will do that.. I just want to be comfortable walking away from the smoker for a bit. Inside to cool off, wash some pans or cut up some meat.. Whatever.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 3rd, 2016, 2:23 pm

I thought about using my thermometer to measure the heat coming off the stack... Just didn't know if it would give me a good reading. Worth a try tho.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 3rd, 2016, 6:01 pm

I would say drop the probe down the stack about 6"..That should give you a real temperature reading. I use a steal cover over mine and I love it

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 4th, 2016, 12:10 am

An infrared thermometer should read the smoke temp as well. The laser will need to bounce off smoke however, not clean air to read.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 5th, 2016, 4:00 pm

So I dropped a probe into the stack about 4 inches.. Basically as far as I could get without it touching or burning my hand. It read around 325 while the thermometer on my pit read around 300. I raised the probe about a foot above the stack, still in the stream of heat/smoke and got a similar reading to the Pit thermometer again. Above 1 ft the smoke started to dissipate and spread out so the reading dropped a lot. Based on this, at 2 feet clearance I'm good, and at 3 feet prob don't even need the heat shield especially with a fire retardant tarp.

Smoke em if ya got em.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » July 5th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Sounds good to me.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys