Newbie with a 120gal or 420# propane tank-what to do?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Slasher

Newbie with a 120gal or 420# propane tank-what to do?

Post by Slasher » August 9th, 2016, 6:47 am

I've got a stubby tank that's approx 30in diameter and best guess able to handle a 32in rack....
After some research I'd say it's 120 gal or 420lb propane tank...

I've looked at this tank for over 4 years... And I keep thinking that it'd make a great RF smoker...
But then am curious about the larger volume and how good of a smoker it may or may not make?

I've only seen a few builds on these and am looking for links or info on wether or not, I should go for it
Or not???

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Newbie with a 120gal or 420# propane tank-what to do?

Post by Squiggle » August 9th, 2016, 7:12 am

Go for it, just check the specs in the pit calc & you're away, any questions just ask. Should be a cool unit. :kewl:

Hehehe, 420! :D
Last edited by Squiggle on August 9th, 2016, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 9th, 2016, 7:12 am

:welcome:
I say go for it! If the cooking rack is only 32" long X 30" wide it might be a little short to cook a whole hog but it would cook several brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. at one time.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » August 9th, 2016, 7:19 am

Welcome to the crew!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » August 9th, 2016, 10:08 am

Welcome!

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 9th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Welcome. It would make one giant uds that's for sure

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

BIGEEE

Post by BIGEEE » August 9th, 2016, 3:55 pm

I used two for my build. cut tops off and joined them together. They made a great smoker trailer.
I am about to start a patio build with another just like it in September.

wedge
beginner
beginner

Post by wedge » August 9th, 2016, 4:54 pm

I used one roughly the same size. Perfect size for a family and then some.

Slasher

Post by Slasher » August 9th, 2016, 7:10 pm

I am looking for a a no flare up chicken and rib cooker.... Or being able to do larger cooks for more than my family of 5.

I have a Primo Oval XL WITH A Cyber-Q... Which cooks some awesome Que... But limited room for big cooks of ribs and the flare Up with doing large cooks of chicken or wings...

I know the size of the smoker is large for patio deck use... I am just looking for real world experience or help in deciding between this or a 250 Gal....

The amount of work or money between spinning this off and grabbing a 250 propane tank which has much more support online for could also allow for really big cooks... I live in central Jawgia and even though I am not one to hunt wild hogs, I do hunt and have lotsa friends who do... Not to mention the possibility to rent it out a larger cooker or have the ability to cook for a large event...

I am just debating if I should spend the time and energy into building this tank because I can or if I should just pony up and build aRF 250 Gal that is overkill 90% of the time? Or maybe I should build this first and then a go bigger?

Without much support, I am not sure if this is worth the effort...
I know for 48 weeks a year, I would probably not need the capacity have no need for the 250 gal smoker... But during Thanksgiving/ Christmas, maybe hitting the local BBQ competition, a cookout for the hunt club, church or the ability to do a big event of or friends and family...

The ability to cut my own wood and access to it is non consequential.. I live in the country in middle ga...

I see either build as the opportunity to relearning how to fab and weld as it would be my first big job after buying a millermatic 210 earlier this year...

But I don't know, what I don't know... :BDHorse:

I am just so cautious as to start small and then build big... Or go big straight off the bat????

What do you who have tackled these types of builds before have to share???

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 9th, 2016, 7:49 pm

:welcome: I would build the tank that you already have since you said it would be big enough for you and your family 48 weeks out of the year. I've seen a lot of guys build smokers that are too big for their everyday needs (me included) and they rarely get used, maybe 2-3 times per year. It also doesn't hurt to get some experience on a smaller build before going big, you'll get plenty of ideas for the bigger one. I have also seen guys come out of the gate and build a monster of a smoker so there's no written rules on how big or small your first one has to be. My vote(if I get one) is for the tank you have now.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 9th, 2016, 8:35 pm

I vote with BigT. Build what you have now and the experience gained will serve you well when you jump into the 250. After building and cooking on the smaller one you will have a lot better understanding of how you would like to design the 250.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 9th, 2016, 11:04 pm

My first smoker was too small....it was full with only 3 racks of ribs and limited my cook sessions to one meat type, maybe two. My current build is roughy the same size as your tank (volume about 100 gal----24 by 48 inch pipe) and with 2 racks is is big enough to push out 18 slabs of ribs and feed 45 guys, which I do several times a year.

If you need more space, consider adding a vertical warmer box. Thing of it as overflow space....you can use it for the big cooks when needed but don't have to waste fuel on a huge cook chamber when cooking for just family. I would plan for your typical use (which your current tank does perfectly) as too big and you won't want to fire it up for just a couple racks of ribs. The warmer could also make some great beans and sides as you can run it at a different temp as the main chamber.

If you want one big enough to rent out, that sounds like a completely different build with completely different features. My home build is perfect-all sorts of dampers, insulated and sliding racks big warmer, etc and runs great but I would not ever rent it out for fear that someone would over heat it and warp it....or worse. I'd build a big, simple and cheap unit to rent out.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » August 9th, 2016, 11:05 pm

And by the way, we have colectively built it all. You have support no matter what direction you choose.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » August 10th, 2016, 4:21 am

2 30" x 32" racks can fit quite a bit. I'd build it and then decide. You could always sell this one to pay for the next.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » August 10th, 2016, 8:02 am

A couple of years ago I had the same question and situation. I decided to build with the smaller tank. Great decision. Based on what you're saying trust me... The 420 is the perfect size cooker to start with. First of all, there may be more plans you can purchase for a 250 gallon tank, but the guys on this site can and will give you all of the support you need to build anything, large or small. Several advantages to going with the 420 tank. Learning curve. As you go thru the process there will be a lot to learn. Once you're done you'll have a wish list a mile long. Save all of those ideas for your big boy cooker on your next build. While you're waiting, you will be cooking on the one you have and again... Learning lots of things about how it cooks which means more ideas for your next cooker. Probably the most important thing is that it's cost effective. The smaller cooker will be cheaper to build and run. You can fire it up every weekend and cook a lot, or on a random Wednsday and just cook dinner for the next 2 days. And don't underestimate the capacity. It holds a lot of meat especially for family and small gatherings. I can put a whole case of ribs (9 slabs)on at one time. You can always add a warming box over the FB for more capacity also. There is really only one negative for this size cooker based on our needs. Cross contamination of meats. Because of the length most of your meat will sit directly above or below the other meats. I like to have pork over pork, chicken over chicken, etc especially during the raw stages of cooking. But all in all, it's a small problem to have and one that you can handle with a little planning. See my build here on the site or I can post a few pics here for you if you don't find it.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » August 10th, 2016, 8:03 am

Sorry for the novel guys...

Smoke em if ya got em.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » August 10th, 2016, 9:13 am

Good read Mo Smoke!

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 10th, 2016, 12:35 pm

:yth:
What I was trying to tell him Mo Smoke only in fewer words. You are a good writer, I'm not.

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by Stewart » August 11th, 2016, 1:00 pm

I built a 250 gal rf as my first smoker. Believe me its a monster. You can cook enough for a whole army. Problem is most of the time its just me and my family. So when i fire it up for 2 racks of ribs i feel kinda dumb. So now i have a tank similar to what you have now and going to build a miniature version of my big cooker. I think you will be pleased with the size of what you have now. And you can always upgrade to the 250 This is just my 2 pennies pal.

Slasher

Post by Slasher » August 11th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Hey everyone,
Thanks I appreciate all the support... with all the support, I'm going to plan on doing this one...

It's going to be slow going, as it's been quite a while
Since I've been welding.(but something tells me the cutting is the harder part-unless I buy a Plasma Cutter...) Plus the heat is a little much in my metal barn this time of year...

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » August 11th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Slow is fine.....we just need progress to keep us entertained!

I feel you made a good choice.