Hinges (CC door)

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
ABBOV
beginner
beginner

Hinges (CC door)

Post by ABBOV » August 11th, 2016, 11:03 am

Today I got the offer from someone who could create some door hinges for me.

The only thing I have to do is to deliver a sketch or drawing how I would like the hinges on my CC. This person can (plasma) cut it for me.

I would like a "three part" hinge: foot, moving part, foot. (blue, green, blue on the drawing)

Do I have to think about certain aspects of the hinges? Are there do's en don'ts?

Here's a quick idea:

As you can see my drawing skills aren't as good as my BBQ skills. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] Maybe there are some ready made designs to choose from?

Sure appreciate your input, anyone?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Re: Hinges (CC door)

Post by bluecatfish » August 11th, 2016, 1:03 pm

I think you are planning something like I just made for my smoker. I didn't have a plasma cutter so I cut them with an acetylene torch. They are 3 piece with the hinge being the full width of CC door. I pulled the door down to fit the CC with a come along and then welded the hinges on and let it cool good. The door stayed in place when I released the come along.
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
To make a sketch - drawing of the hinge I cut a piece of cardboard that fit against the end of the door cutout on the CC and drew the radius of the tank and then moved the cardboard down how thick I wanted the hinge then drew the outside radius of the hinge. Then I just extended out the hinge to make it as long as I wanted it.

mofomatic
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by mofomatic » August 11th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Bcf, I was thinking of doing something like that on my current build, if I started to cut out the door, just where the hinges would go. Weld on 2, maybe 3 hinges like yours. Finish cutting out the door, it would hold shape? My tank is about 53 inches between the welds for the end caps, so door could easily be 4 ft long.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 11th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Mofomatic, I cut my door out completely first, then welded on the strips around the edges of door. I cut it with grinder and cutting wheel and it warped just a little which I was able to nearly straighten out. When I pulled it down with a come along before welding on the hinges it pulled down to the CC and it stayed in place. I would be afraid if you cut only where the hinges went and welded on the hinges it might warp when you finished cutting out the door. I think I would cut the door leaving 4 or 5 inches on all four sides, weld on the hinges, let it cool good and finish cutting the door.

ronn1234
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by ronn1234 » January 2nd, 2017, 11:14 pm

ABBOV your hing design will work great i made my hinges exactly like yours here is how mine turned out. Also this design allows you to install a hidden door stop in the hinge on the CC side notice how i have the back plate on the 2 vertical pieces i notched a V in this and adjusted the notch so the doors rest just past the upright center line off the smoker so there is no risk of the door falling back forward on the cook
IMAG0766.jpg
IMAG0772.jpg
IMAG0770.jpg
IMG_20160405_191819.jpg
IMG_20160423_152210.jpg

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » January 3rd, 2017, 11:53 am

That's a nice looking rig!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » January 3rd, 2017, 3:55 pm

Nice!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » January 4th, 2017, 1:43 am

Very nice! :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"