Critique My Design

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Re: Critique My Design

Post by Kcd2016 » October 1st, 2016, 9:57 pm

mp4 wrote:Yes - 3/8ths will be just fine. That's the way mine is and I haven't noticed any issues with BP expanding differently.
Sorry, but just to clarify: building the side walls and baffle plate from 1/4" plate will be fine mixed with the 3/8" cc?

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » October 2nd, 2016, 6:06 am

I think so. My cc is 3/8", my BP is 1/4". The top of my FB and the side that the throat is cut out of is 1/4"too...the rest is 3/8ths. The only part I need to fix is the FB door because I didn't brace it and it warped on me.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 2nd, 2016, 12:30 pm

I think you should square the FB where it connects to the CC in order to get the proper throat opening. Using two cylinders to create the design dictates a football shaped throat. So to change one of these shapes the volume of each must be calculated to get the correct size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » October 2nd, 2016, 1:30 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I think you should square the FB where it connects to the CC in order to get the proper throat opening. Using two cylinders to create the design dictates a football shaped throat. So to change one of these shapes the volume of each must be calculated to get the correct size.

I took into account the reduction of volume with the flat top when I calculated the width of the firebox. As far as I can tell everything is in line volume wise. Is there something I'm missing or am I not understanding?

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » October 4th, 2016, 10:04 am

I think I read somewhere someone recommend that the firebox have a 24" dimension so as to accommodate the length of splits. For a small patio cooker like mine that would make for a really long, coffin shaped firebox, I drew it up and it's not very aesthetically pleasing. The inside dimensions of such a FB would be 24"x14"x11". Do you guys think that would really be necessary? I mean if I'm using 12" long x fist sized splits will I need to feed my fire every 20 minutes instead of every 45? Presumably I could just add two half length splits vs 1 whole split at a time, also I'm heating a much smaller cc... I defer to y'alls experience. Do you have a minimum dimension that you would use to accommodate you're splits?

Taking votes on FB configuration:

Options A and B waste the least amount of tube. Either way I have to buy a sheet of plate, but leftover plate will be easier to use in later projects. I'm guessing the details of the firebox will be easier to fab if it's rectangular. (door, intakes, basket, ash tray, etc)

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 4th, 2016, 10:48 am

I'm glad you are considering going square the option C is the best in my opinion. This is similar to mine and it's great.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » October 4th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I'm glad you are considering going square the option C is the best in my opinion. This is similar to mine and it's great.

Sure, all options are on the table... It's not like I know what I'm doing ;) Square box it is unless anyone else has something else to add.

I found your post of your charcoal basket in another thread: http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Rodcr ... sort=3&o=0

I'm thinking of implementing this design too.
What size (thickness) angle iron are you using for the slides?
Why the trapezoid shape?
What's the degrees of the angle on the trapezoid shape, 15degress? Or is the angle determined by certain factors?
What's the depth of your ash pan?
Finally, do you use a gasket to seal your FB door, or is it nothing worth worrying about?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 4th, 2016, 8:05 pm

I try to use 1/4" on all the angle and plate. I used square stock on the bottom.

The shape is to move the coals or wood to the center keeping it collected to burn better. I just went for 1/3rd the width of the FB, it does do well. Anything over an inch is ok for the ash pan it holds a surprising amount of burn time. As for the gasket I used 1/2" rope on both the FB and CC.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » October 5th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Alright, time to draw the cart. What size material would y'all recommend for the cart? Angle iron or tubes, etc? I'm looking at 500 lbs in the smoker it self right now.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » October 6th, 2016, 5:49 pm

What size drain pipe/ball valve are people using? Also, still wondering on anyone's suggestions for frame size for a 500lb smoke. It'll probably be angle iron, I know that at least.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » October 6th, 2016, 8:19 pm

That size and close to that size I've used 2" drains. Seem to work well for me. I feel rectangular tubing makes a better looking trailer. 2x3 11gauge or 2x4 11gauge. I'm thinking 2x3 would work for your setup. :beer: b

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 7th, 2016, 7:59 am

Yeah that

Higee
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Higee » October 25th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Following along with this one. Putting together one close to your measurements, 24" x 36" RF

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » November 11th, 2016, 10:20 am

Higee wrote:Following along with this one. Putting together one close to your measurements, 24" x 36" RF
Thanks, Higee. I just started a new thread for the actual build thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5479&p=79992#p79992

I saw and will be following along your build too.