help working out throat area please

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Langer
beginner
beginner

Post by Langer » January 4th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Hi all.
Just want to know what's the best way to work out the size of your throat area to cut out. The pit calculator suggested 51.8inch2. I have heard you should make it 50% larger, has anyone found this is true or myth. And next what's the best way to work out the actual cut out. I must be working out the area wrong using a radious calculator as it saying my throat would be very small to get 51 inch2 recommended , only 6inch radius cut out. Does that sound right

Langer
beginner
beginner

Re: help working out throat area please

Post by Langer » January 4th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Think I may have solved my own question, just realized radius (not diameter) only half the size of my throat so iy wasn't actually that small haha. Haven't used these terms since school lol

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 4th, 2017, 5:35 pm

If the pit calculator said 51.8 inches I would stick very close to that. As far as the cut out goes you can use one of Pete's calculators to get the right size and shape.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » January 4th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Use the throat calculator in Pete's signature. It is very nice several ways to make them

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Langer
beginner
beginner

Post by Langer » January 5th, 2017, 1:11 am

Cool thank you. Just tried it out and it's great. Only question. Is it better to have our not have a dam. It's it necessary on a reverse flow as the baffle plate will have a dam to stop any liquids going any where

10pinto
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by 10pinto » January 5th, 2017, 2:51 am

Langer wrote:Cool thank you. Just tried it out and it's great. Only question. Is it better to have our not have a dam. It's it necessary on a reverse flow as the baffle plate will have a dam to stop any liquids going any where
I only have a dam on my baffle plate and do not have any issues, so i would say it is not necessary.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 5th, 2017, 6:27 am

:yth:

Standard offsets need a dam at the throat but not RFs typically.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » January 5th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Langer wrote:Cool thank you. Just tried it out and it's great. Only question. Is it better to have our not have a dam. It's it necessary on a reverse flow as the baffle plate will have a dam to stop any liquids going any where
Not sure if it's what you were thinking about Langer, but cooking in cooler weather (and probably damp wood) I do end up with a fair amount of water below the baffle plate. It surprised me how much came out of that drain in addition to the BP drain which has a dam.
--Bb

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Langer
beginner
beginner

Post by Langer » January 5th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. So is it good to have two drains, 1 from the BP and one for the area below the BP. I'd only ever heard of the drain coming from the BP for removing excess grease etc

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » January 5th, 2017, 11:13 pm

I never heard anyone say they needed 2. I have multiple plates that make up my BP. I had intended to use them as tuning plates but never move them. One has a piece of 2" on 1 side of each so I could adjust them to reduce the size of my baffle gap. I never move either and I have a small dam and only one drain on the bottom of the CC under the BP.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”