The Swine Furnace

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
KingSmoke
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: The Swine Furnace

Post by KingSmoke » March 15th, 2017, 6:54 am

Pete Mazz wrote:If you cap the end of the opening you could add a stack using a saddle cut behind the flange.
That's a good idea. I was also of thinking of cutting the flanged pipe at 45° and then welding the upright on that's also cut at 45°. Right now I'm leaning more towards cutting it off completely and capping it. Then doing an 8" square stack out of the top. Main reason being cost. 8" pipe and fittings are pricey. Especially in stainless. Plus a square 8" hole will be much easier to cut than a round one.

I keep getting caught up in making it perfect and stuff, but at the end of the day I have to balance all this with my budget. Also, I really want to cook on this thing. Soon.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 17th, 2017, 6:40 am

Take your time, I know it is hard to wait when getting close, but details are nice when they really are a part of the cooker not just the plan.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 17th, 2017, 7:41 am

Rodcrafter wrote:Take your time, I know it is hard to wait when getting close, but details are nice when they really are a part of the cooker not just the plan.
Thanks, I'm trying to be patient with it. I was really fortunate to acquire this thing and I wan't to make sure everything that I add to it is the same quality. I'm going to start cutting on it today. Mainly just cutting off all the inputs/outputs and tabs and stuff that I wont use. for now I will leave the 8" rear output. I am still not sold on any of the styles of exhaust chimneys yet so Ill leave my options open. Maybe Ill luck into finding some 8" stainless fittings and pipe.

I have so many little detailed things I want to add to it. On the front of the door is a 1.5" tri-clamp fitting. I will buy a thermometer adapter and use a tri-clamp to attach it to the front of the door. I am also going to make a better door closure clamp. I need to find an 8" steel valve handwheel weld a nut to it and get some .5" threaded rod and use that for the closure of the door. I will prob do the same thing with a smaller one on the firebox.

Another idea I have tossed around is making this thing mobile like a pit cart. It would allow me to have it on the patio in my backyard but still able to load onto a trailer to take it to either competitions or other destination cooks. It's just sooo heavy. I'd have to put a winch on a utility trailer to load it. Plus the cost of doing that is probably as much if not more than just building a dedicated trailer for it.

So many options.
Attachments
valvewheel.jpg
triclovertherm.jpg
triclovertherm.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 651 times
yoder.jpg

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 17th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Got a little by of time to work on it this afternoon. I got all the flanged inputs/outputs cut off. Went through like 8 cut-off wheels. She weighs like 50 lbs. less now.
Attachments
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 18th, 2017, 7:56 am

Awesome work dude! :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Post by Stewart » March 18th, 2017, 8:20 am

Coming along nicely

Tim Brann
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: CSA W178.2 Level 3

Post by Tim Brann » March 18th, 2017, 10:27 am

Hi I like the start you have here. This is exactly how my build got started. A guy at work dropped of this well tank next to our scrap bin and as soon as I saw it I thought - hey that could be my new smoker.....

I was wondering if you plan to modify the stands so that the whole rig is lower? Not sure if I have the right perspective from your photos but to me it seems a little too tall. Also what's your plan for the primary fuel?

I'm in a good place right now....not emotionally I'm at the liquor store

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 18th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Tim Brann wrote:Hi I like the start you have here. This is exactly how my build got started. A guy at work dropped of this well tank next to our scrap bin and as soon as I saw it I thought - hey that could be my new smoker.....

I was wondering if you plan to modify the stands so that the whole rig is lower? Not sure if I have the right perspective from your photos but to me it seems a little too tall. Also what's your plan for the primary fuel?
As it stands now it's a little less than 6' tall. I do plan on making it shorter but once the firebox is on there I won't be able to take a whole lot off of it, maybe 6-10" or so. This one will be run on oak and applewood. I'm not a fan of gas or electricity in a smoker. The less variables involved the easier the process, at least to me it is. I am interested in these disc griddle things though. I'd like to have a propane fryer for wings on the trailer. I may combine these into a discada of sorts.

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » March 18th, 2017, 7:15 pm

KingSmoke wrote: Right now I'm leaning more towards cutting it off completely and capping it. Then doing an 8" square stack out of the top.

If you do decide to go with a square stack, bear in mind that due to the turbulence in the corners, An 8" square stack has less volume than an 8" round stack, so it will have to be taller.

You're right that this baby will be heavy. It'll be over a ton by the time she's all done.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 18th, 2017, 8:03 pm

temurf wrote:
KingSmoke wrote: Right now I'm leaning more towards cutting it off completely and capping it. Then doing an 8" square stack out of the top.

If you do decide to go with a square stack, bear in mind that due to the turbulence in the corners, An 8" square stack has less volume than an 8" round stack, so it will have to be taller.

You're right that this baby will be heavy. It'll be over a ton by the time she's all done.
Good to know, I thought I read that since a square has more volume but is less effective due to the turbulence in corners that it kinda evened out. I would much rather do a round stainless chimney, so I'm going to try to make that happen. I rust need to figure out how to get an 8" hole through the top, both layers. I might just pony up and rent a big plasma cutter and do it.

Dang, you think it will be over 2k? I was figuring around 1800, not that a few hundred pounds really makes a difference at that point.

This will have a dedicated trailer now, I've decided that, and also got the ok from the boss
(my wife). Has anyone ever seen a pit trailer with the firebox up front? I guess I could turn it around, but it seems like that would be a pain to open the door up there.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 19th, 2017, 3:36 am

Once a square stack gets that large it doesn't lose a lot of volume. My calc says it would mimic a 8.75" round stack.

Square Stack Calculator

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 19th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Pete Mazz wrote:Once a square stack gets that large it doesn't lose a lot of volume. My calc says it would mimic a 8.75" round stack.

Square Stack Calculator
Good deal, thanks Pete! :beer:

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 22nd, 2017, 6:12 pm

Nice score today! Cruising CL and stumbled upon this gem. Frame is 2x3, has leafs, and both tires are in great shape. Needs a little tlc, (new wiring and lights, a new hitch mount) but the base is there. I think I did pretty good for $200.

I'll sand it down and paint it of course and cut the sign frame off.
Attachments
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 22nd, 2017, 6:22 pm

I have seen rigs with the FB in the front. Gizmo did a very nice job on his. He made it so the tongue of the trailer moved out of the way. He could walk all the way around it nicely.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 22nd, 2017, 6:30 pm

That was a pretty good find, most of the cheap trailers are junk.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 22nd, 2017, 6:50 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I have seen rigs with the FB in the front. Gizmo did a very nice job on his. He made it so the tongue of the trailer moved out of the way. He could walk all the way around it nicely.

Making memories!
I think I can make this work well. The FB will be up in the narrow part of the trailer so it should be pretty accessible. Especially with the FB door on the side.

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 22nd, 2017, 7:07 pm

Big T wrote:That was a pretty good find, most of the cheap trailers are junk.
It's got a little rust but nothing beyond surface really. If I had some channel or tube sitting around I might could have built one for similar price but I had no materials and was looking at $5-600 after it was all said and done to build one. I can probably have this one good to go with another $100.

Weight distribution is going to be interesting with this smoker. I don't think the balance point will be right at the firebox like a typical offset. Right now the door is the heaviest side by far. My main concern is that the firebox is going to add too much weight in the tongue. I won't really know till I get it on the trailer.

This one even has some steel I can salvage for my UDS build I'm about to start. I should be gettin my drum tomorrow. I'll start that thread if I do.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » March 22nd, 2017, 10:35 pm

Definitely a good score with the trailer.
you seem to be juggling quite few projects there.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 23rd, 2017, 7:07 am

ajfoxy wrote:Definitely a good score with the trailer.
you seem to be juggling quite few projects there.
Yeah I tend to have more irons in the fire than I can tend to. I'm not in a big rush with the big smoker though. I am still mainly in the parts aquiring phase. I work on it when I can. I want to build a uds because I can't fit a packer cut brisket on my 18" wsm. I know even with the drum it will still be tight but I just want a uds anyways. Most of the material for the uds will be free for me so I can get it together cheap and fairly quickly.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 23rd, 2017, 10:00 am

That is a good plan, uds is a great way to stay in the game while building something bigger.

Making memories!

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » March 23rd, 2017, 3:41 pm

Great find on the trailer. I never am around when those kind of deals come along!

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 23rd, 2017, 7:46 pm

bluecatfish wrote:Great find on the trailer. I never am around when those kind of deals come along!
What's funny is usually I'm not either. Most project I attemp to start get haulted due to lack of funds or tools or time or some sort of hiccup. This one though, it's kinda like everything keeps falling into my lap. The only significant item I still need is a sheet of 1/4" for the firebox. I need a bunch of small relatively inexpensive parts but the rest is labor.

I'm ready to start welding on this thing but there is a lot of cutting to be done still. I did get a lot done on the trailer but no pics as I was in a hurry to get out the door and get home.

Oh and I also got some goodies today.
Attachments
IMG_0082.JPG

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 25th, 2017, 9:08 am

That looks like several UDSs right there.

Making memories!

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 25th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:That looks like several UDSs right there.

Making memories!
Yes sir buddy. Working at a chemical plant means we get a shipment of drums almost weekly. We got them to send us some freshly blasted and unpainted. I got the 30 gallon drums with intentions of cutting them down and using the bottoms of them as charcoal baskets, but they are just too wide. I think I may just turn it into a smoker and sell it or something.

I have a Weber kettle that will be sacrificed for my drum lid and cooking grate. I'll start a thread over in the UDS section once I get some work done on it.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 25th, 2017, 8:52 pm

The FB works well as a cubic foot of room for charcoal. Frank and Tom make nice ones. That is what I have in this one Image

Works great from 165 to 400 no problem.

Making memories!

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”