Reverse flow mod project

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
prazz

Reverse flow mod project

Post by prazz » June 29th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Hi everybody long time lurker and first time poster. I've been wanting to build a rf for awhile now, but being about 2 hrs away from a shop it logistically isn't possible right now.

I however have decided to go a different route. I recently picked up a older Brinkman (Stillwater I believe) offset. I have done a few burns in it and I have found controlling the temp to be difficult to say the least. Having the intake vent open roughly an 1/8" on top will keep the temp at 275 250 range.

To correct this the plan add gaskets to all the doors and add a laser cut seal plate to force all air through the intake vent as shown in yellow.
6.PNG
The next issue I am having is how to place the stack. There isn't enough room between the doors to place the stack in the "typical" configuration. I can do a hybrid manifold setup but it will be tight between the doors
1.PNG
2.PNG
The other option is to place it off center behind the door on the cook chamber. I don't see this configuration used much and am curious if there is a reason.
3.PNG
4.PNG
That pretty much what I've got so far. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or advice.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Re: Reverse flow mod project

Post by bluecatfish » June 29th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Welcome to the group. I see nothing wrong with the hy-brid stack mount. Someone smarter than me will have to answer your other questions.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » June 29th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Welcome. And from my limited knowledge of RF I can't see anything wrong with it as in your last pic. However as bluecatfish stated there will be someone smarter to give you a definitive answer.

QUE: RC, the man, the myth, the legend.... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 29th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Welcome aboard!! Have you ran your numbers thru the pit calculator ? A lot of times the FB and throat are a lot bigger than they should be and that could cause some issues. There's a few ways to correct those problems if they are present. Another thing to consider is how high is the FB mounted on the end of the CC, sometimes it creates a problem with installing a baffle plate. I'm not trying to be negative I just want you to end up with a pit that performs as expected. Have you checked out bbqsmokermods.com ? They have kits for different brands of smokers that may be a better solution for you. I'm not sure if they have a baffle plate for your particular smoker but it's worth a shot.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 30th, 2017, 1:43 am

And there he is....

RC your my hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

prazz

Post by prazz » June 30th, 2017, 6:19 am

I ran into the kit when I was searching for stack solutions. Has anyone tried them?

You are correct the size of the throat opening is a bit large. There is a plate that angles down to shorten it currently that I haven't modeled, but that is still on the large size. I am planning to extend it down until I get the desired thoat size when I get the rf plated designed. Does necking it down cause issues or should I extend the rf plate to the FB and modify the throat opening.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 30th, 2017, 9:23 am

That BigT has got you.

Welcome to the crew!

I agree that type of stack works great. A lot of people have used that manifold type when you do that just figure the length begins at the top of the cook chamber not the manifold. As for the intake vent, I'm sorry but I couldn't figure out your question. As BigT mentioned the connection between the FB and CC typically are a little problematic such as the opening doesn't go to the top of the FB and as a result you have to burn a hotter fire. Which in turn will burn out the thin metal. And as BigT said about the throat.

I don't see the intake so maybe explain that again.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

prazz

Post by prazz » June 30th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the help I'll go with the manifold setup. Would there be any benefit to extending the manifold to the grate? Currently I just kept it at the stock height.

Here is a cross section of the current setup. I added the baffle I was trying to explain earlier as well.
CROSS SECTION.PNG
My plan was since the cross sectional area of the throat is to big I would extend that baffle down to correct the size. However if I understand correctly that isn't ideal?

Big T

Post by Big T » June 30th, 2017, 6:47 pm

It's not ideal but it can work if done correctly. I don't know if you've seen this or not but this baffle plate was designed by the man himself (OB1) and it steps down just like you are planning on. Here's a link viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4718

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » June 30th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you were making a RF smoker. If so the stack on the current setup is on the wrong end?

prazz

Post by prazz » June 30th, 2017, 9:28 pm

What issues will I run into if a stepped design is done incorrectly?

Your correct catfish. That's just the model of chassis I'm starting with.

Big T

Post by Big T » June 30th, 2017, 9:39 pm

If the opening is too tight it will become a choke point and won't allow the heat out of the FB.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 1st, 2017, 12:13 pm

Now I'm on my computer I see the intake, sorry about that.

I don't see anything wrong, but if you could lower the FB to make the ideal throat opening that would be the very best. the slopped plate will work better than the flat plate to reduce the throat opening.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........