330 Gallon LP Tank Design - How does it look so far?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
cyberstrategist
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Old Country BBQ

330 Gallon LP Tank Design - How does it look so far?

Post by cyberstrategist » December 1st, 2017, 7:32 pm

Hey all!

First off - I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. This is going to be my primary BBQ trailer and I don't want to mess it up and I need as much "useable" space as possible on it to grow. I'm excited to start breaking down and build back up into the beast it will become. Let me know what you think of the design and if I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing...

Calculations using Feldon's
2017-12-01.png
Here is the design. I am wanting a cabinet but I still like the barrel of my previous catering trailer so I've decided to do this. I like the idea but am open for input. I'll be putting it on a tandem trailer.
2017-12-01 (1).png
The grate spacing is 8". I do want to put a warming box on top of the firebox, too, but I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit heavy on that side if I do. Thoughts?

Where faith + family + tradition always equals success. Serving up BBQ the old school way.

Currently using...
Five Barrel Cookers; One New Braunfels horizontal; One Trailer smoker (being built)

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: 330 Gallon LP Tank Design - How does it look so far?

Post by Big T » December 1st, 2017, 8:40 pm

I like the overall design with the cabinet doors. If you go with this design you'll need to use Pete's volume calculator to figure the extra CC volume so that your FB is the correct size. I would add the WC if you are thinking about doing it, it's easier to do it now. The thing is going to be heavy as it is so what's a few hundred more pounds. Just be sure that you put heavy enough springs and axles on your trailer.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

cyberstrategist
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cyberstrategist » December 1st, 2017, 11:52 pm

Thanks Big T... The "Special" section under Cook Chamber is the volume of the cabinet section. I did the cylinder first and then added the cabinet section by using AutoCAD to determine the area and then multiplying that by how many inches across inside.

I'm not sure that I like how close the end of the baffle is to the bottom rack. I'm thinking it might get an extra blast of heat there. But, I don't know if it's a real concern or not since this will be my first experience with a RF smoker. If I stretch the cylinder a few inches to compensate, I think the firebox will be too big. I'm already concerned how close it may be to the ground once it's on the trailer.

Where faith + family + tradition always equals success. Serving up BBQ the old school way.

Currently using...
Five Barrel Cookers; One New Braunfels horizontal; One Trailer smoker (being built)

Big T

Post by Big T » December 2nd, 2017, 12:07 am

I didn't notice the rack above the BP gap, it'll definitely be hotter over it, plus you risk something falling below the BP.

cyberstrategist
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cyberstrategist » December 12th, 2017, 7:19 am

I added 6 inches to the end of the BP but now my throat is under the recommended. It changes from 224 sq. in. to 233 sq. in. What kind of difference would that make on the back pressure? If I add the end cap at the end of the cylinder, that will add more volume but open up some room to allow better flow at the end of the BP.

My main concern is getting the BP too close to the bottom grate. I've looked and the common answer seems to be no less than 4" and mine, currently is at just under 5". I personally wonder if 4" is too close but this is my 1st time with a RF so I don't know.

So, two questions in this post:
1.) Back pressure concerns legit?
2.) BP to grate spacing concerns?

I received my plasma cutter this past weekend so now I'm itching to use it but I want to make sure I have the design down first, of course. I am also debating on insulating the firebox. Does this make a difference on sizing that would help with my questions?

Currently using...

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » December 12th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Insulated FB is a great idea, just make sure you increase the size of the FB accordingly so the internal dimensions are correct.

BP to bottom grate gap is fine, mine was only 3" & there isn't any problems with too much heat.

As long as the FB to CC throat opening is close to the recommended area then you'll be good. Some people make the BP end gap 75% of the throat & have no problems. I always have my BP gap the same as the throat, but if you do make it smaller don't go any smaller than 75% of the throat. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Big T

Post by Big T » December 12th, 2017, 6:11 pm

:yth: 2'' is the minimum and 6'' is the maximum.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 13th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Big T wrote:I like the overall design with the cabinet doors. If you go with this design you'll need to use Pete's volume calculator to figure the extra CC volume so that your FB is the correct size. I would add the WC if you are thinking about doing it, it's easier to do it now. The thing is going to be heavy as it is so what's a few hundred more pounds. Just be sure that you put heavy enough springs and axles on your trailer.

You know I agree with this for sure!! If you want a second opinion ask Fortycreek.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

MattJ
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by MattJ » December 13th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Big T wrote::yth: 2'' is the minimum and 6'' is the maximum.
Is this just for his application or a general rule of thumb???

Big T

Post by Big T » December 13th, 2017, 10:00 pm

MattJ wrote:
Big T wrote::yth: 2'' is the minimum and 6'' is the maximum.
Is this just for his application or a general rule of thumb???

It is the rule on any RF, I try to be in the 3.5''-4.5'' range. If you get any closer than 2'' you can restrict airflow under the rack and you get a lot of radiant heat which will cook the bottom of the meat before the top is done. If you get much farther than 6'' you don't take advantage of the radiant heat from the BP.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 18th, 2017, 10:58 am

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 18th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar