Thermometers, wireless?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Hh76
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Thermometers, wireless?

Post by Hh76 » December 16th, 2017, 10:20 pm

I'm in the buying/ planning stage of my build, and am contemplating the thermometers. I assumed I'd have two on the door, and maybe a wireless meat thermometer.

Now I'm thinking, why not just have everything wireless, and maybe even Bluetooth to my phone. I'm picturing a couple sensors inside the cook chamber and a probe broadcasting to a simple phone app.

Is there a product like that out there?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Thermometers, wireless?

Post by Big T » December 16th, 2017, 11:29 pm

I know that Igrill and maverick have wireless units that are Bluetooth and I'm sure there's probably a few more out there. I haven't used any of them but a few guys on the forum have. I use a maverick et 733 which has a wireless monitor that has a pretty good range.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » December 17th, 2017, 12:46 am

Look into making a heatermeter. They are fairly easy to solder, come in a kit form or you can source everything yourself or have someone build one.

Heatermeter
3 meat probes
1 pit Thermocouple
WiFi
Apps Android-pitdroid and a Apple app.
Can use Maverick and thermoworks probes
K-thermocouple for the pit probe
Blower and servo damper controller if you need.
Text and email alarms
Custom scripts
Always getting updated
And lots of other options

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » December 17th, 2017, 8:58 am

I second the heater meter. I just built mine. I ordered the board already soldered and added the other components. It is a bit involved as I haven't found a complete unit for sale, but it has the most functionality. A good comparison unit would be the cyberq at around $300. I will have about $200 In my heatermeter after probes servos etc.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » December 18th, 2017, 10:02 am

Like BigT I have been using Maverick 732 (x2) for a long while, but about a year or 2 ago I got an CyberQ that controls the air on my GF and has a pit probe and a couple of meat probes. This one is WIFI or Bluetooth, and that is a great option for GF and UDS smokers. Now for just monitoring I currently use and really like the new Smoke from Thermoworks it has an Bluetooth receiver that is much nicer that the Mavericks,and it just became WIFI as well. The WIFI is an additional purchase for the devise, I haven't purchased it yet but I will be getting one after Christmas. Now for the CC I use T gauges I get from http://bbqsmokersupply.com/uds-parts.html they are adjustable so you can calibrate them if needed. I use these also because I don't want my digital probe exposed to the smoke and heat all the time. once I get used to my smokers I might not even use a digital for things that aren't critical. This makes the best stuff last longer.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » December 22nd, 2017, 4:07 am

I have a CyberQ on my mini GF & I couldn't be happier, I've connected it to a static ip & linked that to a free web host so I can log in to the web page & monitor & adjust my cook from anywhere in the world (not that I'll be cooking from another country, lol) & I just chuck the meat in, head to town & monitor while I'm there. It also emails me when the internal temp & pit temp gets to the preset values. I usually set it a few degrees short of wrapping & then the same for when it's ready, simples! :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”