Vertical Placement of Baffle Plate

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
ewilly
beginner
beginner

Vertical Placement of Baffle Plate

Post by ewilly » December 26th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I have seen a reference to locate the baffle plate approx. 1 inch below the centerline of cylinder but is this correct or how low can I place it? My pipe is 23 inch inside diameter and the throat cutout will be 4 inch high so is there any volume consideration under the BP?

I am also planning to use a 1.5-2 inch piece of angle iron for a drip rail down the center of baffle plate. Is there any reason to not do this?

THX

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Vertical Placement of Baffle Plate

Post by Big T » December 26th, 2017, 4:44 pm

The BP doesn't need to be that high. I usually put a shadow plate at the same height as the throat for the first 12''-18'' and put the BP 1'' higher than that. I like the bottom rack 1'' below the center line so that it's at the widest point of the tank. The bottom rack should be between 2''-6'' above the BP, any closer than 2'' and you can restrict air flow and risk cooking the bottom of the meat before the top is done. If you get farther than 6'' away you lose the benefit of the radiant heat from the BP, I prefer the 3''-4.5'' range. In my honest opinion I do not think it is worth all of the extra work and time to modify the BP because the majority of the grease cooks off while the BP is hot and the recess makes it harder to scrape it clean. I mount the BP level from front to back and end to end with a 2'' grease dam on the end and a 2'' drain.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Vertical Placement of Baffle Plate

Post by Rodcrafter » December 26th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Yep, what he said.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........