First Time RF Build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
gmbbq
beginner
beginner
Title: Backyard BBQ'n
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet... but when I do! Team name will be Smokey Rub BBQ.

First Time RF Build

Post by gmbbq » February 8th, 2018, 11:44 am

I'm carrying this over from my intro post, so here it is... again, in a more appropriate location.

Here's what I've got, it's basically a shell of a potentially good smoker. It has the firebox and cooking chamber with doors in place. It uses a 24" diameter .375" wall round pipe that measures 48 inches in length for the cooking chamber and 24 inches in length for the firebox. The measured throat opening (football shape) is 19.25" by 10.50", approximately, which I think is a little on the "too big" side of things. I also believe the cooking chamber door is cut out too low and hinged in the wrong location, but there is not much I can do about this.

It's already mounted on a 48" x 72" single axle trailer and offset to one side. I want to turn this unfinished project into a reverse flow smoker and need some help in finishing the construction of it. The firebox door and cooking chamber door are already in place but the hinges need to be reworked, as they rub when opening. Being that I'm not a smoker builder, any and all help that can be provided will certainly be appreciated. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do this, your suggestions here will also help.

Thanks in advance for any help and all the knowledge that will be gained here. Looking forward to finishing this build and doing my first smoke with it.

Pictures will come as soon as I figure out how to post them here. Do I need a hosting service for my pictures? Recommendations anyone?

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: First Time RF Build

Post by mp4 » February 8th, 2018, 1:03 pm

gmbbq wrote:Do I need a hosting service for my pictures? Recommendations anyone?
I upload directly to the site from my phone using the tapatalk app and it works good for me...and the bonus is that the pictures don't disappear when the hosting sites change their protocols.

Too much is just right!

mp4
Expert
Expert

Re: First Time RF Build

Post by mp4 » February 8th, 2018, 1:06 pm

It loads up like this...Image

Tap the arrow in the top right corner and it uploads and posts the pictures.

Too much is just right!

gmbbq
beginner
beginner
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet... but when I do! Team name will be Smokey Rub BBQ.

Post by gmbbq » February 8th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Good deal! Now to get the Tapatalk app on my phone. Thanks!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 9th, 2018, 2:10 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: First Time RF Build

Post by gmbbq » February 9th, 2018, 6:24 pm

The Czar wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tough crowd here.

Anyhow, as promised, here are some pics. If there are any other pics needed from another angle or close up let me know. I'll do my best to get them in here as quickly as I can.

As you can see it's pretty bare and I'm needing help with a variety of construction tips. .i.e BP opening size, chimney size, counterweight build, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » February 9th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Looks good!

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by gmbbq » February 9th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Any other suggestions regarding this build as it pertains to the trailer empty space, I'm all ears. I plan to attend a few local BBQ competitions in the area and want to be equipped as well as possible, without getting too crazy. I feel this might be unavoidable but limited to the rated 1700 lbs capacity of the trailer.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 9th, 2018, 10:47 pm

It looks like a good start to a nice smoker but I see a couple of major issues. I do believe that there's a pretty easy fix that wouldn't require cutting it apart and starting over. 1) The FB is 150% of the recommended size, 115% is the maximum size for the FB 2) The throat appears to be way oversize which presents another issue. The top of the throat appears to be almost even with the bottom of the door cut so the BP would actually be even with the bottom rack and it needs at least 2'' of spacing, I prefer 3.5''-4'' personally. I think you could correct both of these issues by building a false ceiling in the FB, which would correct the volume issue. It would also allow you to close the throat down to the correct size which should allow you to drop the BP down giving you the rack spacing that you need. You might have to rework the FB door depending on how far the ceiling drops down. The bad part of this is that I'm not sure how to refigure the volume of the FB so that you know how much you need to block off. I should've paid more attention in geometry class, if it were here in front of me I could figure it out but I can't do it on paper. I believe that Pete Mazz or some of the other guys could help you and Pete may even have a calculator in the smoker builder calculators that can figure it for you. Oh and don't pay too much attention to The Czar, he doubts everyone.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 10th, 2018, 6:45 am

To get to ideal size for throat and FB you'd need to add an 18.5" wide plate to top and bottom of inside of FB.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

dportz87
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by dportz87 » February 11th, 2018, 3:11 pm

:LG: :welcome: you have a good start to a really good smoker.

do not second guess your self

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by gmbbq » February 13th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by gmbbq » March 18th, 2018, 9:23 am

It's been a little while, so here's an update on the progress of this RF smoker build. More photos to come.ImageImageImage

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 18th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Looks like some great progress.

Big T

Post by Big T » March 18th, 2018, 8:40 pm

:yth: Are you going to close off the dead space above the FB from the CC ?

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: First Time RF Build

Post by gmbbq » March 18th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Big T wrote::yth: Are you going to close off the dead space above the FB from the CC ?
In short, no. It may open some discussion though. Why, should I? If so, why?

Big T

Post by Big T » March 18th, 2018, 10:30 pm

I've never seen one done like this so I don't have any way to know exactly what will happen with the extra space ,if anything. I know that the top of my FB gets extremely hot and that heat is lost into the atmosphere. You may find that it draws the extra heat into the CC which could make it a little hotter on that end or you may not notice any temperature difference at all. I will say that my O.C.D. wouldn't let me leave it open but that's a whole different story there.. lol

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 19th, 2018, 12:00 am

My fear would be of a dropped chicken leg or grease betting trapped in the area and hard to clean. Not to mention grease dripping into the fire and and ruining a cook. I would close it as well.

However, my tastes for a smoker would most likely cause me to cut the top off the smoke box to make it flat. It would allow access to the plate that is otherwise not weldable AND it would allow you to warm up a pot of beans or sauce on the flattop.

But custom means “build it like you want it”.

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by gmbbq » March 19th, 2018, 8:00 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do plan to leave that area open, you'll understand as I roll out more pictures. It will likely raise some questions. I'm building this with my brother and we are asking questions along the way to one another and the typical response goes something like this "I don't know, let's try it. If it doesn't work we'll just redo it." That's been our thought process thus far.

As far as grease getting in there I do plan to weld a dam in place to prevent this very thing from happening. The plate you see in the first picture extends all the way into the firebox and is welded to prevent unintended flames from entering the cooking chamber.

Oh, and that nasty hinge you see in the pictures above has been eliminated and updated with something really cool, a picture of this coming along shortly.

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by gmbbq » March 19th, 2018, 8:04 am

Here's the revamped hinge assembly. The all-thread was used to align the hinges and will be replaced.ImageImageImageImage

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Post by Stewart » March 19th, 2018, 8:24 am

Very sharp good work pal your coming along nicely. I would suggest the grease dam and on your open end weld in a piece of that #9. I did in mine and I'm glad it's saved me from a few run away chickens lol. As far as your trailer rig goes sky's the limit or is it axle weights the limit? I can't remember. Propane turkey fryers always a good idea with a griddle top and a disco. Before long you will need a bigger trailer lol. Good luck.

Big T

Post by Big T » March 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Very nice hinges :kewl: One of the main reasons for building your own cooker is so that you can incorporate your own ideas. I'm the same way when it comes to trying something different, unless someone tells me that they've tried it and it was a disaster then I go for it. It's like they say, it's only metal, if it doesn't work out you can cut it off and try again.

gmbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by gmbbq » March 21st, 2018, 12:02 pm

Onto the firebox construction. As suggested in an earlier post, the firebox was too big. It was suggested that an 18.5" plate be installed at the top and bottom of the firebox to help reduce the internal dimensions.

Well, we did that for the top as you can see in the first picture. That's looking from the firebox end toward the cooking chamber.

I didn't quite employ the same idea for the bottom to further reduce the internal dimension, as you can see in the remaining pics. As you'll see, I used firebrick to reduce the internal volume.

All parts in the firebox are serviceable, if the need every arises. Used a cast iron door from one of those kits you can purchase to make a 55 gallon drum stove. A clean out/draft door fits real nice underneath this door.

More pics later as things progress.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by gmbbq on March 21st, 2018, 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » March 21st, 2018, 4:42 pm

Nice.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 21st, 2018, 5:50 pm

Yep nice work!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........