Hogpit
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Occasionally as Hogpit Smokers

Warmer box venting

Post by Hogpit » February 17th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Hello
I am hoping to get some advice on venting a warmer box that can also be used as a secondary cooker if possible. The smoker is for commercial indoor use with a single exhaust.

Questions

With 1 inch of insulation between the firebox and warmer box what temps could i expect the warmer to get too without additional venting from firebox or cook chamber, warmer box will have 1" insulation all round.

If i was to link the exhaust flap inside the warmer to the opening hatch of either the FB inlet or CC inlet would this change the draw through the smoker in anyway? Which of the 2 would be the best way to heat the WB with as minimal disruption to the heat flow through the CC?

The cook chamber is 36" x 79"

Here is a rough drawing
Warmer venting.jpg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Warmer box venting

Post by Big T » February 17th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I'm not sure on what the temp would be with a WC with an insulated floor, I guess it would depend on how big the fire in the FB is and how long the cook was. I would put a baffle between the CC and WC and between the FB and WC then the cooking options would be endless.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Hogpit
beginner
beginner

Post by Hogpit » February 17th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Thanks Big T, i guess the baffle from the FB wouldn't need to be that big as the heat directly over the fire would obviously be very high, also keeping it relatively small should reduce any effects of bypassing the draw through the smoker.

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » February 18th, 2018, 8:16 am

I have a setup similar to yours. I used 2” of insulation and no CC connection to the WC I used only the opening from the FB to WC. I have almost ambient temperature in The WC until I begin opening the damper between them. I centered the damper and made it 6”x6” I can make the temperature whatever I want and it doesn’t take away from the CC.

I said all that to say you can do this stuff several ways. But I would recommend making all the openings bigger than they need to be and make them adjustable.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Hogpit
beginner
beginner

Post by Hogpit » February 18th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Thanks Rod. Just to clarify, did you have the single exhaust drawing from both the CC and WC? If so, is the draw and temp through the CC affected when opening the FB/WC baffle?

I have seen a picture of the setup you mentioned in another post, do you have more photos of this smoker in other posts?

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » February 19th, 2018, 7:10 am

I used a separate exhaust because I didn't connect the CC and the WC only the FB and WC. I have lots of pictures just let me know what part you want to see.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”