BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: First Time RF Build

Post by Dirtytires » March 21st, 2018, 10:23 pm

Nice use of the firebrick.

gmbbq
beginner
beginner
Title: Backyard BBQ'n
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet... but when I do! Team name will be Smokey Rub BBQ.

Post by gmbbq » March 22nd, 2018, 8:27 am

Thanks, guys!

One thing, of the many things, that I'm learning, throughout this build is the thought process my brother and I have put into this build when we are not even working on it. Let's take for example the CC door we just recently re-hinged. We both knew the existing hinge had to go, it was never installed correctly and the door creaked when it opened, making the door heavier than it actually was. I also knew it had to be sealed. So before we "un-glued" any of this, so began the thinking. I first purchased two 3 piece hinges and after showing it to my brother, we both agreed it had no appeal, nothing special about it. An hour or so goes by and he gets the idea that it needs more "fingers". So we sat there and drew out what it should look like, to what you see here today, and decided I needed to get 3 more hinges to complete the desired look. This was just one thing we had to do for the CC door.

I also purchased some sealing "tape" for the CC door and after having it in hand I realized the door will be sitting in a new position, it will be sitting higher than before by the thickness of the seal. What this meant to me was the seal had to be in place before we could install the new hinges in place. After sealing the CC door we ratchet strapped the door in place with two blocks of wood, one at the top and one at the bottom edge of the door, to hold the CC door properly in place. Hinges then went on. The resulting fit and operation of the CC door turned out great. We only had a very small area of concern at the bottom edge of CC door that looks like it will leak. That will be easily fixed with some toggle latches. That is this weekend's project along with the smokestack placement. Stay tuned for an update this weekend.

Thanks for all the help so far and the great amount of information here in this forum, I couldn't have done it without it.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 22nd, 2018, 8:24 pm

It sounds like y'all have been bitten by the smoker builder bug! It's hard to stop thinking about the build even when you aren't working on it. :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 24th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Boy you can say that again.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........