60 Gallon RF w/ Insulated Firebox

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
dacolson

Re: 60 Gallon RF w/ Insulated Firebox

Post by dacolson » November 15th, 2020, 9:16 pm

**long post. Sorry in advance**
Made some great progress over the past few days. Got the CC door cut, hinged and flanged. I went for inside flanges. The tank is thin enough though that the tank tweaked a bit when I welded in the baffle plate. Gonna see if I can bend it back so the doors lay flat again. If not, I may switch to exterior flanges on the doors. Here’s a rundown:

Doors cut with the interior flanges. You can see the baffle plate tacked in here:

Here’s a shot of the shadow plate I put in before I put the baffle plate in. It’s about 12” long and 2” below where the BP will go.

Shot of the door hinges. I used the spec plate from the tank as the door stop. Hinges are 1/2” round stock and DOM:

Added a little bump out in the BP gap. Not as dramatic as I’d hoped it would be:

Built out the smoke collector and stack as well. Same design as the TN smoker I just finished:

Still need to finish handles for the FB and CC, racks, log rack/ash pan, prep shelf and finish work. I can do a test burn now but I think I’ll wait till it’s completely built out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » November 15th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Looking great! Like the hinge design. I just found out the welding shop I deal with has 100s of surplus 4" steel bullet hinges. Glad I asked him where to buy some lol.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 15th, 2020, 9:26 pm

I’ve used those as well. I like them. Been trying to do as many things the same from one build to the next. Same hinges, same FB vents, same stack and smoke collector. Trying to be repeatable. I’ll have to see if inside flanges work out. And I’ll need to build a couple more insulated FBs before I can figure a quicker process there.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 15th, 2020, 9:48 pm

It looks great! When you use the one piece hinge design on the CC door, does it have any side to side movement?

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 15th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Yes it does a bit. I usually put a small washer on and tack it in place to keep it set but this time I didn’t bother. I cut the DOM pipe long enough that it’s very close to the hinge bend and only moves a tiny bit. With as badly as the CC is warping from the BP welds, I may need to cut a bigger gap around the door and could use a little side to side for it to fit.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » November 15th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Looks great Dave! Nice little smoker. Someone will get years of service out of it. Looks like u went 1/8” on the SP. How thick did u go on the BP?

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm

tinspark wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Looks great Dave! Nice little smoker. Someone will get years of service out of it. Looks like u went 1/8” on the SP. How thick did u go on the BP?
Thanks Tinspark. 1/4” on the baffle. I wanted radiant heat deflection on the shadow to keep that end a bit cooler. The air gap between them will help too.
I am thinking about keeping this one. My personal smoker was my first build and there are half a dozen things I’d do differently that I’m doing on this one. Foremost, the insulated firebox. I plan on updating my personal smoker and selling it. We’ll see how this cook chamber holds up. I haven’t measured wall thickness but it’s acting like 1/8th. I thought it would be at least 3/16th in a 60 gallon tank.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » November 16th, 2020, 1:16 am

dacolson wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm
tinspark wrote:
Thanks Tinspark. 1/4” on the baffle. I wanted radiant heat deflection on the shadow to keep that end a bit cooler. The air gap between them will help too.
I am thinking about keeping this one. My personal smoker was my first build and there are half a dozen things I’d do differently that I’m doing on this one. Foremost, the insulated firebox. I plan on updating my personal smoker and selling it. We’ll see how this cook chamber holds up. I haven’t measured wall thickness but it’s acting like 1/8th. I thought it would be at least 3/16th in a 60 gallon tank.
The 1/4" should act as a heat sink, and with the SP you will likely get very even heat distribution. My center feed contraption that I made out of my old water heater has a 12" long SP made from 1/4" and 1/4" thick BP. The BP is very even temp across the entire surface, I thing it builds up temp and evens itself out. And the SP doesn't allow the flame to blast up directly onto the BP. BigT recommended a slide damper at the throat on mine, and I am glad he did. Reminds me a little of a fire place insert top damper. I keep it at least 75% closed usually.. Yours should work killer!

Regards,

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 16th, 2020, 8:52 am

tinspark wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 1:16 am
dacolson wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm
tinspark wrote:
The 1/4" should act as a heat sink, and with the SP you will likely get very even heat distribution. My center feed contraption that I made out of my old water heater has a 12" long SP made from 1/4" and 1/4" thick BP. The BP is very even temp across the entire surface, I thing it builds up temp and evens itself out. And the SP doesn't allow the flame to blast up directly onto the BP. BigT recommended a slide damper at the throat on mine, and I am glad he did. Reminds me a little of a fire place insert top damper. I keep it at least 75% closed usually.. Yours should work killer!
Thanks Tinspark. The design is similar to my first which runs decent. I did not put an SP in that one. Just the BP. Heat is okay but the temp spread is larger than I was hoping with an RF. Hoping this closes the gap a bit. The hybrid pit I built and the TN smoker are very even. Within 15 deg, so I’m hopeful.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 23rd, 2020, 7:45 pm

I’ve been slammed at work so I haven’t made a ton of progress since the 2 week sprint that kicked the build off. Almost finished. I built the CC rack, the Baffle plate dam and drain, the ash pan and the latch for the FB. Just need to build the log rack for the FB, the shelf on the bottom of the cart, and the handles on the CC door. Trying to finish so I can do the turkey as the inaugural cook. So close!

Here’s the door latch. It’s 5/8” rod. I put a 5/8” ID pipe through the door and welded nuts to the back of the rod inside the door. The two latches are pinned together with 3/8” rod, drilled and peened over. I used a 10” length of the same 5/8” rod with the ends heated and flattened out. I’ll put some sort of handle on the end.
78D373D1-7F1C-4D07-985E-4C4845DAE22B.jpeg

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » November 23rd, 2020, 11:07 pm

That is a clever stylish latch!! Here to making it for turkey day.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 23rd, 2020, 11:42 pm

Saskattak wrote:That is a clever stylish latch!! Here to making it for turkey day.

Thank you sir. Pressure‘s on!

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » November 24th, 2020, 6:24 am

Aye, lovely looking latch on the FB Dave. :)

You can never have too many hammers.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 24th, 2020, 8:53 am

SheffSmoker wrote:Aye, lovely looking latch on the FB Dave. :)
Thank you sir

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » November 24th, 2020, 9:45 am

Looks amazing like usual!! I love the door latch! I may have to do something similar on my build!!

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 24th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Thx Cole. I saw something similar on another build. Second time using it. I like how it locks in the door in two places.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » November 25th, 2020, 8:17 am

That thing is turning out pretty sweet. Are you going to try to fit (2) cook grates in there?
I like the insulated fire box. Up in the NE that will come in handy to keep the heat in.
Also I imagine you will be welding i a short dam at the end of the BP to keep grease from leaking below the BP.
I have never seen an access door below the BP, but if i get around to doing the 4800 that I have purchased the CNC plans for on this site, I was thinking about adding one so so that I could check things out once in a while. Especially if I were keeping it for myself. I built my first one with a removable 1/4" thick BP laid it on a gasket and track with a lip turned up around it. When I have pulled it out There is a bunch of ash and grit under it all of the time > Zero grease though. I suppose it could be blown out once in a while. I like inspection ports I think... lol!!
Again beautiful build as usual sir, well done!!

Regards,

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » November 25th, 2020, 8:47 am

tinspark wrote:That thing is turning out pretty sweet. Are you going to try to fit (2) cook grates in there?
I like the insulated fire box. Up in the NE that will come in handy to keep the heat in.
Also I imagine you will be welding i a short dam at the end of the BP to keep grease from leaking below the BP.
I have never seen an access door below the BP, but if i get around to doing the 4800 that I have purchased the CNC plans for on this site, I was thinking about adding one so so that I could check things out once in a while. Especially if I were keeping it for myself. I built my first one with a removable 1/4" thick BP laid it on a gasket and track with a lip turned up around it. When I have pulled it out There is a bunch of ash and grit under it all of the time > Zero grease though. I suppose it could be blown out once in a while. I like inspection ports I think... lol!!
Welcome to the 4800 club lol. Watch the CNC files, the bottom plate on the firebox came with a 4" hole (now will he a cleanout port). Same cut as the top plate (opening for warming cabinet vent). Besides that everything fit perfectly, albeit is I doing some redesign work to the WC and I added a shadow plate.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 25th, 2020, 8:58 am

tinspark wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 8:17 am
That thing is turning out pretty sweet. Are you going to try to fit (2) cook grates in there?
Thanks Tinspark. I’m holding off for now on a second rack. I want to see how much room I have for large cuts - large brisket, pork shoulders, Turkey, roasts, etc. if I do put a second rack in, it will be a small rack for wings or a couple racks of ribs. The dam is already installed. Bent to fit the curve of the end of the BP. The drain hole goes in the circle area as well. I’m the other way on the access door. If I can’t see ash under the BP, there must not be any!! Lol.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 25th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Well I didn’t finish the build entirely but it’s ready for the turkey tomorrow. After a 48 hour brine and rinse it’s been drying in the fridge for a day and a half. Going to use Meat Church Honey Hog on the turkey and use pecan splits to smoke it. I finished the FB log rack and it is ready to go. Still a laundry list of finish work. I modified the last FB I built in the V shape by using round stock instead of expanded metal. Happy how it turned out. Tomorrow AM early I will get up, do a test fire and season the grates and inside of the CC. Unless is messed up the calcs, I’ll start smoking around 8AM. FIRED UP!
3B4A80D3-B21F-47B0-9888-11EECC38ACCA.jpeg

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » November 25th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Congrats!! Proof hardwork does get you across the line. Cannot wait to hear how she runs.

As for the log rack, I like the hanging design. I wish I could borrow that design but my FB door has a 3" lip all around. Image

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Nice looking fire basket :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 25th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Saskattak wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 6:30 pm
Congrats!! Proof hardwork does get you across the line. Cannot wait to hear how she runs.

As for the log rack, I like the hanging design. I wish I could borrow that design but my FB door has a 3" lip all around.

My last smoker had a 2” lip. I just moved the rails for the hanging rack in. If you go this route, put the rails in before you mount the FB. So much easier to position yourself for the back side welds, keep it level and properly spaced on the sides, etc. Lots of cool options out there. Spend some time looking around before you commit. You’ll be using it for a long time.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 25th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Big T wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Nice looking fire basket :kewl:
Thanks Big T. Had to slow down a little today. Was rushing and didn’t want to botch anything. I gave up on my punch list and just focused on this. I still have some weld spatter to clean up after the cook tomorrow but it should cook. Really curious to see how warm the outside of the FB gets since I only used 1” of insulation.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » December 23rd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Well, it’s been over a month since I got a chance to work on this project. Finally had a couple afternoons to get after the final steps. Time away also gave me some distance to consider a few fixes/modifications.
- Added thermometers and a handle to the CC door. Thx to SheffSmoker’s idea which I’m stealing, I sacrificed a cedar walking staff for the handle. A final sanding and some teak oil and it will look great.
- Given the thinness of the CC walls - 3/16” - I gave up trying to tweak the door constantly to fit the inner flange and put on outer door flanges. I’ll give internal another shot on a thicker walled tank.
- I also pulled the firebox door to rework the latch and hinges. The door sat a hair too low on the hinges and rubbed slightly on the top of the FB. I added a spacer on both hinges to lift the door about 1/16”. Did the trick.
- I also put cross braces on the back of the door. Since it is insulated, I didn’t think it would be able to warp. On the first burn, however, I noticed a bulge in the middle that I’m hoping the cross bracing will eliminate.
- Finally, I finished the prep table and rack in the bottom of the cart.
Next up, sanding and finish. Pretty pleased with things so far.
1390A09D-AEA7-499B-9D36-D32F0B4B87E9.jpeg
41239B89-DB6E-42E0-86CE-92084C2BA276.jpeg
CD7137F4-6E8F-4A20-B53F-06A0D2B2E6E2.jpeg