Center feed tube build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Center feed tube build

Post by Big T » September 22nd, 2018, 8:19 pm

I would vote for option 1 because it seems like you keep coming back to a more compact build and if I remember correctly you started off wanting a small build.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 22nd, 2018, 9:49 pm

What do you want to do with it?

It sounds like you intended to build a specialized rib smoker but are now considering a full-blown chuck wagon with grills and storage. Grab a beer, sit on the deck and think about what you really want to do with it and how each option will work out for you.

It’s really easy to get caught up in a build (especially by seeing the cool stuff on this site) and get it bigger than you need. Remember that too big is almost as bad as too small.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 22nd, 2018, 10:05 pm

Big T wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 8:19 pm
I would vote for option 1 because it seems like you keep coming back to a more compact build and if I remember correctly you started off wanting a small build.
From the side it would look something like this..
And from the rear the basic thing would look like this..

Pretty simple.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:49 pm
What do you want to do with it?

It sounds like you intended to build a specialized rib smoker but are now considering a full-blown chuck wagon with grills and storage. Grab a beer, sit on the deck and think about what you really want to do with it and how each option will work out for you.

It’s really easy to get caught up in a build (especially by seeing the cool stuff on this site) and get it bigger than you need. Remember that too big is almost as bad as too small.
I would have to agree that this site has hurt me as much as it's helped =)) . Way too much cool stuff to see and build. One of my driving forces is money....I'm as cheap as they come.....but I don't want this to look like I cut corners. Figuring out how to build it without buying a bunch of new metal is always on my mind.
:beer:

I will use this to cook at home and to take it to work and cook there. There are bbq's here and at work so having a bbq on the smoker trailer is not needed but it would be handy. Because of the design it's a one trick pony...smoker only....I can make it simple and small and add to it later if I have the need. If it works really well I might consider renting it out to people I know....that is where the extra stuff comes to mind.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » September 23rd, 2018, 5:22 am

I like option #1 myself with the grill included.

Option 2 would be cool (because anything home built is) but sounds like it would hide the originality of your design which would not be cool.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 23rd, 2018, 3:41 pm

I bbq'd today......bbq'd some steel!..I put the rib racks together and then seasoned them on my little bbq. I can move the racks around and space them out how I want. I can also remove them all and cook the meat flat.

Slowly it comes together.
I went and ran the numbers for wheels and tires and I have a set of 15" Jeep wheels with a 5.5" backspacing that will be perfect for this build. They will put the tires 1.5 inches from the frame. The tires I will buy will be 8.5-9 inches wide and 24" tall. This will allow for the tires to be centered in the fenders for a clean look and lower the smoker height down to 37" not counting the stack. That will let me add on shelving that will be the perfect height. It looks like I will have a ball height for the hitch at 17".......I can live with that!. It's looking more and more like the simple build is winning out.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 27th, 2018, 4:00 pm

I got bored today and decided on which way the trailer is going to go......it's going small and simple. I cut out the 33" of frame that has the suspension on it, I cut out the tongue and pulled the axle off to clean it up......that's it, everything else is scrap metal. I have two new pieces of 3" channel waiting for me and those will be the front and rear cross members on the little bit of frame that is left. Those cross members will stub out each side front and back to mount the fenders onto. The chunk of tongue will get cleaned up and welded directly to the bottom of the smoker.

Now I need to get to cleaning up these pieces....

So much for waiting until the smoker was finished before cutting on the trailer =))

Big T

Post by Big T » September 27th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Well at least you made a decision :kewl:

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 27th, 2018, 5:11 pm

There's no going back now. I have some clean up to do next. It's hunting season so my metal guy has been busy chasing deer and hard to track down. He has the 3" channel waiting for me but has not cut the end doors yet. My next expenditure will be hinges, latches, and seals for the doors so I can finish the smoker part of the build. Once that is all done I'll pull the smoker apart and get it mounted and then finish the trailer. The fenders will be the last step and one needs some body work to get it in shape. I will have to sit down with my body tools and a big hammer and massage the fender a bit.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » September 27th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Good deal....keep it going!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm

I got the frame stub and the tongue all cleaned up and a primer coat of paint on them to keep them from rusting. I welded the jack back on and cleaned up the gobbed up welds from the original builder a bit but some are beyond making them look good. I still have to clean up the axle and make a couple short angle iron pieces that will weld onto the smoker....then those will get bolted to the frame. I figure I had better bolt the smoker to the frame to make it easier to assemble and handle. Welding the frame on then flipping the whole thing over would be a disaster with the equipment I have on hand.
I sold some yard equipment today so I will be making my parts order next week....happy happy happy....were making progress.

edit: I got the axle all cleaned up and primed today. I pulled the hubs and cleaned up the bearings. I will have to get new grease seals before I put it all back together as the old ones are wore out. I am making a trip up to my property to fetch the wheels I will be using on this thing. I'll have a rolling axle by next week and hope to get the frame welded up too.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 1st, 2018, 7:10 pm

I got the frame done today. I also got the hubs back on the axle and all the bearings cleaned and re-lubed. The grease seals are an odd ball size that nobody had in stock so I found some that are close enough for now...I will swap those out later if they toss grease out. I made my order at Smokerparts for my hinge plates, seals, and sealant today so that is done. Tomorrow I will get some more paint, flip the bottom of the smoker over and weld the frame brackets to the smoker and get the tongue welded on. I will put the suspension and axle back under the frame tomorrow as well. Once the hinge parts show up I can get the doors on (I now have the metal for the doors) and get the latches installed. I will then be able to assemble the smoker on the trailer. From there it will be ready to cook on. I will work on getting the fenders straightened out and installed and getting the trailer wired for lights after all the metal work is finished, I am going to pre-drill the frame for the wiring before the smoker gets mounted.

The wife picked up some baby backs today so I think I may have to smoke them tomorrow in honor of my progress.

Big T

Post by Big T » October 1st, 2018, 8:13 pm

It sounds like you're about to be very busy! :welder:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 1st, 2018, 10:51 pm

Did you order a case of ribs yet? Sounds like Q-view by Sunday....lol

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 2nd, 2018, 12:12 am

Dirtytires wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:51 pm
Did you order a case of ribs yet? Sounds like Q-view by Sunday....lol
Depends how fast my order of parts gets here......

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 2nd, 2018, 2:49 pm

Progress has been made......got the brackets welded on the bottom to mount it to the frame and got the tongue welded on. Put the axle back under the frame and test fit one fender......looks like everything is going to work just fine....

Hinges and latches on the doors will be next then I can mount it all up and start cooking on it while I finish the fenders and lights.

The angle iron brackets on the bottom of the smoker fit inside the frame and have 1/4" spacers between them and the frame to give clearance for the welds. The smoker sits down on top of the frame so the mount bolts are not holding the weight. The smoker sits 8" ahead of center on the axle for the right balance.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Got the fenders on.....now that they are mounted I can sand them and prime them easier...

It took a little hammer work on the second fender but the steel was thick enough everything went back together.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » October 2nd, 2018, 6:02 pm

Looking good. Almost time to fit the smoker to the trailer. :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 2nd, 2018, 6:48 pm

ajfoxy wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 6:02 pm
Looking good. Almost time to fit the smoker to the trailer. :kewl:
Getting closer. I sanded and primed one fender and will have to get more paint before I do the second one. I thought I had a good supply of primer but I must have used it up on another project. I had the frame mounted to the bottom half of the smoker this morning and it took all my will power not to assemble it fully and take a picture. I am getting more paint and some lights tomorrow and that will be my project for the day....finish that fender and work on lights and wiring.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » October 2nd, 2018, 7:12 pm

Good job bro! You make quick work of it once you decide on a course of action!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Big T

Post by Big T » October 2nd, 2018, 7:42 pm

It won't be long now :beer:

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 3rd, 2018, 4:32 pm

I got the trailer finished up today. It's all wired and ready to go. I will be adding more to this rig once I get cooking on it. I want a work surface and storage along the sides. I'm not going to get crazy and do an expensive paint job on it until I get it where I want it. Once it's all made up how I want it I will paint it up and make it all match. I insulated where the wiring goes through the frame under the smoker and will insulate the wires that go through the tongue so I don't melt anything. The cool part of all this is I can take it all apart a piece at a time and prep and paint it all when I'm done fiddling with it. I plan on making a work surface that attaches to the top of the smoker with bolts and storage bins along the sides that will bolt on. I figure I'll cook on it a while to see just what I need so I'm not adding more than I should.

(yes, I left the undersides of the fenders unfinished on purpose)

Big T

Post by Big T » October 3rd, 2018, 6:09 pm

:kewl: It's all nice and shiny and you haven't even finished it yet.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » October 3rd, 2018, 8:10 pm

Looking good.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 4th, 2018, 12:23 am

Good plan.....it will evolve nicely with needs that arise from use.