Temperature gauges

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
rasmateo
beginner
beginner

Temperature gauges

Post by rasmateo » November 4th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions about gauges. I plan on getting a good digital thermometer based on what I've read about the standard metal ones not being real accurate. With that being said:
1. Do you recommend a brand or type of temp gauge?
2. On a 32" cook chamber, should I put one, or two on the door?

I think that's it for now!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Temperature gauges

Post by Gizmo » November 5th, 2013, 7:21 am

The Maverick ET-73 is good and the new ET-732(?) has a better range and it's easier to pair up. These both have dual probe inputs so they'll read from 2 locations simultaneously.

I guess I'm confused by your second question - these digitals don't permanently mount to anything…. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 5th, 2013, 7:23 am

In my opinion; I would buy the ones offered on smokerplans.net they are tru-tel and they are adjustable, and it helps to support this web site. I would only use one in that size CC, put it very near the height of the rack. I like the Maverick ET-732 for the digital. Once you have both you can use the digital to adjust the T-gauge.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

rasmateo
beginner
beginner

Post by rasmateo » November 5th, 2013, 10:15 am

I want to do what rodcrafter said, a didital for a true accurate reading, and a mounted gauge for a constant visual read. I didn't know the ones on the website were adjustable. I think I'll get one of those and support the site. Do you guys have one mounted or do just use the digital?

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » November 5th, 2013, 10:53 am

I run tru-tels on ole Pops for a constant visual but I used my digital to fine tune the readouts. I've even pondered putting grommets where the metal therms are currently mounted and running digital probes through the grommets and put the read outs on my counterweight arms. Of course the metal therms work in the rain and with my luck my electronics would get wiped out the first time I didn't pay attention to the weather.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 6th, 2013, 6:40 am

I slip mine in a ziplock sandwich bag and hang it when the weather is questionable. Ummm, my Maverick I mean....

I bought a Smokerbuilder temp gauge but didn't see any way to adjust it. The spot where they indicate a screw adjustment was blank.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 24th, 2013, 10:03 am

Pete Mazz wrote:I slip mine in a ziplock sandwich bag and hang it when the weather is questionable. Ummm, my Maverick I mean....

I bought a Smokerbuilder temp gauge but didn't see any way to adjust it. The spot where they indicate a screw adjustment was blank.
Great idea Pete!
I didn't even realize until last week that the thermo's from smokerplans.net are not adjustable (calibrate). Funny thing is they include the instructions for how to calibrate them in the box.... :huh:
so I called them and am working on upgrading to that option for the next batch... now that I have 100 in stock :hissy:

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » November 25th, 2013, 7:01 am

I haven't tested mine yet to see where it sits but if you come up with a mod we could do..... :kewl:

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » November 26th, 2013, 6:47 am

Tested it last night against my Thermapen. It's 5 degrees low. Close enough for the girls I go with.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”