250 gallon on a wheeled frame or trailer

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

250 gallon on a wheeled frame or trailer

Post by Mo Smoke » February 5th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Looks like I am going to build a 250 instead of a 125 gallon reverse flow smoker. Can't find a 125 and a 250 fell into my lap. The thing is, I don't want to mount it on a trailer because I don't have that kind of space around my house and I don't plan to take anywhere that often ( at least for now). I would rather mount it on a 4 wheeled frame with some all terrain tires so I can move it around my house. It may take two people to push it over grass but thats fine. If I need to take it off the property, then I can push it up onto a friends trailer, lock it down somehow and hit the road. I know I can do this with a 125 or smaller rig, but am I crazy to think its possible with a 250? I haven't seen any pics of one mounted this way. The only thing I have seen is various trailer setups. If thats what I have to do, I will. Maybe just do a narrow trailer for just the grill since I only have about a 3 foot wide gate at my house. Anyway...talk to me fellas. What do ya think?

Smoke em if ya got em.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: 250 gallon on a wheeled frame or trailer

Post by Big T » February 5th, 2014, 5:57 pm

I've seen a couple of 250's that were patio rigs but they were mounted on big steel wheels. I don't know if this will work for a 250 but check out this roll around that TQ built and it may give you some ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3279

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » February 5th, 2014, 7:23 pm

Make two 125's out of 1 tank. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Tinker
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: I'm working on it
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Tinker » February 5th, 2014, 8:35 pm

:yth: exactly

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » February 5th, 2014, 8:53 pm

250 patio model would be a heavy one to try and move for sure, like Gizmo said, i would Make two 125's out of 1 tank.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » February 7th, 2014, 9:24 am

I don't know guys. I couldn't see breaking down a big boy tank like that to make it half the size. I could have a big daddy cooker if I get a trailer. I don't really need one...but I could have one !!! I'd rather keep looking for a smaller one to use at home. My ego says to get the 250 tank anyway just because it's there at a good price, but I'm having second thoughts.I saw a post that showed tanks are easy to come by in all sizes back home in Alabama. So I could probably let this one pass and when I'm ready for the big boy, I could locate one and plan to go pick it up next time I'm in the area. But yall know how it is...this thing is a sickness. I haven't even built my first one yet and I'm already hooked on the idea. Mostly I just cook for my family, and occasionally for big family party. Now I'm talking about trying to do events in a year or so...The dream just keeps growing and growing..Somebody stop me !!

Smoke em if ya got em.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » February 7th, 2014, 9:53 am

One plus I found with the 250 is the diameter of the tank. That depth comes in really handy when you are loading up some oversized slabs and you can put a lot of meat into heat zones. I know I can line up 3 large aluminum pans in the lower nose which I can make about 25 degrees cooler than the rest of the cooker just by airflow changes. You can always trim off the length but the width is where the pay off is and you get two usable rack levels with the 250 lay out.

jm2cw

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » February 9th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Gizmo I appreciate your suggestion of making two 125's. I can keep one and sell one or just let someone else buy the other half of the tank and they can build it the way they want. I can always go bigger later if I progress to a level where I need it.Whatever I build will be significantly bigger and better than what I'm used to so I can't go wrong.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » February 9th, 2014, 8:05 pm

I know they're different approaches but Egor is only roughly 65 gallon and he can take a dozen butts at a pass.

You might be very pleasantly surprised what a 125 could do…. just sayin' :D

The other thought is approach a non-profit group (church, vets club, etc.) and see if one of them would finance the 250 build so you get the experience and they get the cooker. Once it's done I assure you that you'll have a different outlook on what you want and how to build it. Just look at my signature line…. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » February 9th, 2014, 10:19 pm

To tell you the truth Giz, I have calmed down off my smoker high. I'm excited with the idea of building a 125. The idea of working with a church or some non profit group is a great way to take on a project, but I have plenty of time to grow into a 250 on my own as well, and thats only if I end up needing one, or if the bug just won't let go and I build one just because and sell it to someone. Cant wait to get it going. I'm working on getting someone to pick up the tank for me. I'm getting it for a good deal and tanks have been hard to find around here for the past few months. The guy who is going to build it for me has been looking for a tank for me but I found one first so he should be ready to go. I'm quizzing everybody about design ideas, plugging numbers into the calculator, and gathering info. In other words... I've got smoke coming out of my ears bro!! Stay tuned for the post when my build begins.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » February 10th, 2014, 7:09 am

You're living the dream there mo smoke! …. or maybe it's a nightmare…. :D