?s on centerfeed build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
HookedOnQ
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

?s on centerfeed build

Post by HookedOnQ » February 9th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Im starting a centerfeed build out of a 17x50 air tank and have a few things I still have questions on. First off is what have you guys with centerfeeds done about grease drains? I have a couple ideas but im curious to see what others have done. Second my tank is 50in end to end and 43in weld to weld I plan on running my baffle from weld to weld will this leave me with enough gap on each end? And third I will be using 1/4 for my baffle should that be ok or should I use some 3/8 directly over the fire box opening to prevent or help with any hot spots? Thanks in advance for any help

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: ?s on centerfeed build

Post by Gizmo » February 9th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Edgar never had a drain. The BP had a lip around the edge to form a pan. I just scraped the grease out after a couple cooks or sometimes put in fin foil and rolled it up and threw it away.

That much gap on each end of the BP is fine. I used to run Edgar on 1/4 of that size.

Your idea of the 3/8 plate needs to be there anyway - regardless of the gaps or you WIll have a hot spot in the center. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

J.R.'s Butt Hutt
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: ?s on centerfeed build

Post by J.R.'s Butt Hutt » February 19th, 2014, 9:55 am

Here's how I designed my grease drain. I have not fabricated this pit yet. Hopefully will do so this summer.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3537