rf first timer questions

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

rf first timer questions

Post by slowboat76 » December 22nd, 2014, 10:38 pm

Not new to the forum but this is a new tank as I just aint got the cajones to cut the gas tank at this point...lol
I did find (I am assuming) an 80 gallon Air compressor tank for free and this will be my first full core build. The tank has a 24" diameter and is 47.5" from |(---)|end of bell to end of bell, its 33" from weld seam to weld seam where the bells are fitted. I was just going to do a 1/4 size door (approximately 19" high by 33" long but after hearing about 12 o-clock -1" which equals 11 and 3 o-clock +1" that would put the door at 21" high and still 33" long. Does this sound right?

Next question is grates? what size angle with a pic please for perimeter if you can, and also for the guys using square as I would like a pic of it as well. What size expanded metal for the rack? Also what size angle are you using for the racks to rest on in the cooker? will 33 inch rack need reinforcing along the middle so it doesn't warp bad?

Baffle plate will be channeled down angle iron to the far end and terminate at the start of the curvature on opposite end of fire box. it will originate at top of fire box with a slight downhill longitudinal slope to the drain valve. Any ideas or possible issues?

fire box is a little large as it will be a 20x20 but its convenient cutting them all the same and that shows me at 129% of recommended. Is that just to much?

Is 1/4" good for firebox and baffle plate?

Also how to make the lips on cook chamber and fire box to ensure a decent seal up and please let me see pics of that as well.

Guys I apologize for all the seemingly (dummy) simple questions but I would appreciate help in any way. Thanks Immensely

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: rf first timer questions

Post by Puff » December 22nd, 2014, 11:03 pm

Your new tanks sounds exactly like the one I finished a few hours ago. The tank thickness is not 1/4" and not 3/16 but something in the middle. I can think of my exact measurement just now but I'll measure anything you want on it. I ha attached a picture here but jus search MACK ...Franks build revisited, the doors

1/4" is perfect for baffle and fire box. I now add a 1-2" x 1/4 " stringer" from the front door to the throat on the inside too of the fire box to eliminate warping and I use an x brace on the fire box door, same condition.

Your seal will come from solid welding. Maybe 1 pass, maybe 2 or more depending in the fit tolerance. Same for the baffle plate
I always use 1" tube on my grate with the 9 11 expanded flat sheet my cc door started as a cut at 1" below 3:00 and 1" above 12:00 noon but you see how I had increased tank volume with that little dormer on the to to accommodate square doors. This was reall a fly by the seat of my pants build but still adhereingnto the pit calculator...if you like what you see...ask. I am bound by the code of smoke to pay it all forward. Especially my removable stack

Do a search on the smokerbuilder university. Frank has a great video on grate making, I use the method showed here.my tank has 2 racks on 2 1/2" above the BP and the next 7" above that one.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » December 23rd, 2014, 7:39 am

Removable stack?I'd like to see some pics of that.
Miles.

Al Miles

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » December 23rd, 2014, 7:55 am

Good job Puff, :rulz: you are a pro now!

Slowboat76, you can do all those thing you mentioned to your BP but it isn't required. Most of the time the drippings that land on the plate will not go anywhere at all. They will sit right there and char away to a crusty thing you will need to scrape off later. An cooker the size you are going to make won't create enough drippings to worry about. I'm not familiar with the size expanded Puff listed, I always ask for 3/4"x9 and they give me what I want. The size of your grates won't require anything special you can use square tubing which is very strong or angle which is halt as strong. I use both and they are 1"x1", the slides they rest on is 1-1/4" x 1-1/4".

Here is one example:

Here is another:

Here is something about the removable stack on my back yard smoker:

Here is the stack:

Hope that helps.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » December 23rd, 2014, 10:55 am

*****Nevermind, I finally found the university.. lol Been watching a few of them.
I got a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4"
1 4'x8' sheet of expanded flat
1 stick of 1/4"x2"
1 stick of 1" square tubing heavy wall
1 stick of 1.25x1.25 angle heavy

got the door cut out, and as I left the office I had a healthy fire of busted pallets going.
Will have the firebox welded up tomorrow
I am going to cut top and bottom 1/2" large both ways that way the other plates will at least have one straight side.. lol

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » December 23rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

I like the stack, good idea.

Al Miles

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 23rd, 2014, 11:30 pm

It allows you to use a grill cover

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 25th, 2014, 3:47 am

Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 26th, 2014, 1:06 am

Sorry for that expanded metal. It is 3/4 x 9... I think that auto-correct got me. Another thing about the removable stack is that you can wheel it under lower height doors. I built it in the barn with 12' door heights but finished it in the garage which has 7' standard doors

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 26th, 2014, 7:27 am

Got to hate it when it won't roll out the door.

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » December 27th, 2014, 11:16 am

Lets see, I got the firebox done (lots of bead running) except for mounting hinges and vent cutout,
I am doing the cook chamber mating today if all goes well, I found some hinges in the next town over so asked the wife if she wanted to go for a roadtrip? lol what she doesn't realize is I have an extra grinder that she can help me with after I buy her lunch on the road trip for hinges... I hope to get racks built today as well and then try and decide on an undercarriage.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 27th, 2014, 2:53 pm

I tried that once, tricking the wife into helping. Only happened once tho.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 27th, 2014, 4:49 pm

So I've gotta be gratefult then... My wife is a Vermont farm girl. She helps with deck building, treehouses, firewood, snow, and a load of other crap. I do cover her expenses for manicures, hair and makeup though. Over 30+ years that adds up!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 27th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Sounds like it's coming along.
I gotta say I learned my lesson, I don't even ask!!!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 27th, 2014, 8:36 pm

LOL @ smokeone. Next time I see her, I can tell her you said she better start helping out and pulling her weight. Lmao. Helping a brother out..... Right?

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » December 27th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Well made progress, but not as much as I had planned. I got the firebox mated to the cook chamber, the baffle plate welded in completely, and welded an additional 15" "extra baffle plate" to the fire chamber end to lessen the hot spot. The hinges were not the right ones so that was a wasted trip, but got to eat lunch with the wife. Now looking for hinge ideas that I can build and door latch mechanisms. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Slowboat

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 28th, 2014, 3:13 am

Bummer on the hinges. You can always cut 1/4 in plate to a shape you like and drill the two pieces with a common hole and weld them in place on edge. Using a bolt in that common hole as the hinge point.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 28th, 2014, 11:14 am

:yth: I also use 5/8'' cold rolled and some thick wall 5/8'' I.D. bushings that I get from TSC.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » December 28th, 2014, 2:32 pm

:yth:
Making your own hinges and latches add a personalized touch!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 28th, 2014, 5:04 pm

:yth:
Thanks for the offer PD, but I don't need any help from you. I get in plenty o trouble on my own.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 28th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Lol

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » January 2nd, 2015, 8:45 am

Well, I got the hinges I bought installed and they have already warped, so I am going to cut them off today and if I can't find the bullet hinges, I will try and make some that's a little stouter. Also got the exhaust stack cut and installed. Door fitting ok, but I actually think I am going to cut it off today and build the squared-off doors. Getting closer but with running into road blocks and not finding parts I need, it's becoming quite comedic. Poor planning on my part by not ordering this stuff and having it here, but that's what I get for just busting into something wide open. Also can't find door handles anywhere in stock either. :BDHorse:

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » January 3rd, 2015, 10:23 pm

ok more progress, I cut the firebox door off because I was really unhappy with the gaps. Also I found 2-5" bullet hinges after a long search effort and as soon as I got back I reshimmed the door for proper clearances and welded the bullet hinges. The firebox door is good now, just got to cut air inlet holes and mount latch. I cut the cook chamber door off because I was really unhappy with the gaps, it is now scrap and I am halfway through getting the squared off doors built thanks to Puff telling me to go for it. looks a lot better but ran out of oxygen so had to cease the door cutting for the CC. Got my first slide cook rack tray built minus the expanded metal. I am slowly sneaking up on it as poor planning has really cut my work time down looking for parts.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » January 3rd, 2015, 10:55 pm

Slowboat76,

Glad you're progressing. The smoker I'd just finished for my son had some planning issues too and I'd bet this goes on a lot. Especially that I was building on the fly. Saw some pieces in my pile that would take me to the next step quickly. Then made the following steps a real PITA. from an easy weld up, I went to a complex cut and fit on the next 3-4 steps. There is a great spot on the horizon that allows you to see the finished project. It's coming! I learned a bunch of stuff here and was simply told...pay it forward.

Ps: at one point I'd cut the hinges off 3 times (shhh, don't tell anyone)

Rodcrafter

rf first timer questions

Post by Rodcrafter » January 4th, 2015, 8:59 am