250 Gal RF Build Attempt

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
TexasSmoke
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

250 Gal RF Build Attempt

Post by TexasSmoke » February 22nd, 2016, 11:24 pm

]Hello Everyone, I'm Jonathan an electrician for about 15 years, live in Austin area Texas, long time bears fan but was hoping we could get the San Antonio Raiders. For some strange reason :grillin: I've decided to build my own RF Smoker. Work time on it will be limited and slow mainly because I'll be learning all new tools and fabrication methods. I have been scourging this sight for well over a month gathering ideas and putting together an idea of what I want out of a home built smoker. I am thinking of building something similar to one of Johnson's smokers.
Johnson smoker.jpg[/attachment How ever not an exact replica. So I've formulated a few plans I probably should have used autocad or inventor but I was drinking a few beers and decided to free hand it. Before I attempted to use the BBQ calculator for reverse feeds I wasn't sure what the volume my actual CC would be so any real input would be an estimaguess. This is where I know you fellas can give me a hand. [attachment=2]Free hand-page-001.jpg
Free hand-page-002.jpg
Free hand-page-003.jpg
But before getting started with marking and cutting I have a few typical first timer questions. I've probably read every 250 gallon build in this section, so a few answers I've found. I want to cut the door out but Not sure what will be the right size. If my sketches are close to being correct I'm thinking 45" from top to a few inches above mid point.
correct my step process if i'm getting ahead of my self :BDHorse:
1. cut door
2. Start a good fire to burn paint off exterior cool grind smooth.
3. Grind out interior.
4. Cut off fire box. (This is the area I want to start fabbing and working out exact log box and ash tray designs.
5 have the exact size of throat and BP opening (from what I've read throat and BP opening should be the same size or PBO can be slightly smaller
6... CC and counter weights.
If I can get some help calculating the actual volume of the CC I can roll with the rest. Not too sure what to do with the bell. My Rough Draft just show a 2/3 CC 1/3 FB.
Thank you for the help and input. I would post pictures of the 250 tank but its dark out and its a propane tank at the end of its days and about to be resurrected.
Attachments
Johnson smoker.jpg
Smoker.
Free hand.pdf
Sketches
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
Free hand-page-001.jpg

I'm humble enough to know I can't do everything but, I'm stubborn enough to try to until I can!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: 250 Gal RF Build Attempt

Post by Pete Mazz » February 23rd, 2016, 3:44 am

To maximize the tank, cut the CC at 67" and that leaves the right sized 23" FB. You'll need 130 sq in throat so your football shaped opening will measure ~9" high and 21 1/2" wide where the two tanks overlap. You'll need about a 5" round stack 42" high tho. Use the PitCalc and my calculators in my sig if you want to tweak anything.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 23rd, 2016, 9:14 am

Thanks for the reply Pete I didnt know your smokerBuilder Calculator were different than the Pitcalc. Couple of things though I was really hoping I could keep the FB an OL of 33.5 I eventually want to put a 20" WB on top of it... Where I bought the tank the guy had a couple of Air Tanks 20" wide one maybe a little less he wouldn't sell or he had to check with his father first... Parents.
With all that said I would like to have the room to add a WB and I think that having the chimney coming off the side would be some nice flare. Not to concerned on maximizing the size :PBox: I'm thinking of maybe cutting off the top of the FB to give me more working area and to decrease FB Volume. I didn't realize how over-sized I was until I found your calculators.

I'll do a rough sketch in Auto-Desk Inventor so that I can get accurate volumes with the top hacked off. In class for mechanical and architectual drafting I might as well put my free 5 thousand dollar software to work while I can. If there any thoughts on Firebox or initial tank cleaning processes I'd be glad to hear them.

The sky opened up last night and we had a lot of rain but I'll be at work then school until 7pm so most I'll be able to do is draft the Firebox and try to match volume to an Overall CC of 60' ~o)

I'm humble enough to know I can't do everything but, I'm stubborn enough to try to until I can!

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 23rd, 2016, 9:40 am

IMG_20160223_081826.jpg
I'm anxious to start cutting

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » February 23rd, 2016, 9:07 pm

Your dog is smaller than he looks or your tank is bigger than 250...at least it looks that way to me. It looks like an awesome tank!

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 24th, 2016, 2:21 am

Ha Gingers 4 months the tanks full grown! Plus its not the size of the dog its the fight in the dog B-) Long day at work and class until 1030pm made my drafting of the Firebox run into the late hours.
Starters with Pete's Calc I was able to find the volume of my CC @ 60" which leaves a FB at 31 very over-sized. After drafting my Firebox the Volumes had a slight discrepancies of some 480 ci fairly minor when the full vol is 19,506 in^3

With an 8" cut all the way down the inside volume came to a total of 13,541 in^3 which puts me at 104.8% sized. I think I'm going to run the dimensions on a 7.5" cut to see if that can put me between 105 - 107%. (what do you guys think? should I leave well enough alone even with the discrepancies?)

Next real question is should I go with one or two doors with 60" of actual working space? Cold front blew in yesterday its 46 crazy I know hopefully I will be able to get it cut and burned out this weekend if not sooner.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 24th, 2016, 6:20 am

Close is good enough with most of the dimensions. I'd prefer one door myself, but go with whatever suits you. If you do 2 doors, use a flange on one of the doors where they meet instead of leaving a narrow section on the tank.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » February 24th, 2016, 7:05 am

:yth: I left a narrow section on my first smoker and after a few cooks wish I hadn't. Good luck with your build.

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 24th, 2016, 9:02 am

One door it is! I was leaning that way anyway. Just a quick question what is the best method for dealing with the unsightly valve holes in the top of the tank ?
Cut them off with a fly wheel then patch them with 1/4" plate?
I'll Try to get a few parts Modeled up in Inventor during class this afternoon.
Then mark my door cut out.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 24th, 2016, 1:20 pm

I would cut them out and patch it back in.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 25th, 2016, 9:49 am

Spent a good time modeling and drafting last night here is what i have
FBDWG.jpg
FB WITH CALCULATED VOL 14337.4
shrunk the size so that it wouldnt look too out of place with a 20" WC on the top
FB CAP_PLATE.jpg
left a 2" of space for insulation and made cut outs for dampers which will be inside the WC
The end cap throat cut out gives me roughly 115.5 sq in

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 27th, 2016, 7:17 am

Well Friday I was able to get quite a bit done. Cut out the door burned out the paint and started digging a ditch to bring power for the welder and general purpose 120, also a water line because... that might be important. Today I'll finish the electricity and cut off the FB.
IMG_20160225_174328.jpg
IMG_20160226_110921.jpg
IMG_20160226_100528.jpg
IMG_20160226_112016.jpg
I had to alternate between digging and grinding off paint... my back wasn't holding up as good as it once had.
Also purchased a truck load of steel...

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 27th, 2016, 7:49 am

Yep I can relate to the back pain. But it looks like you're about to get busy building a nice smoker.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » February 28th, 2016, 9:32 am

Thanks RC! I got quite alot of work done so far this weekend 230 power to work area, a water spicket as well. purchased a bulk of the steel. Cutting the propane tank was a chore I'm going to have quite a bit of grinding to do. today I'll get a little more done. I'm hoping that the cut out of the throat is the correct dimension it seems huge ..
IMG_20160227_081723.jpg
truck full of goods
IMG_20160227_175204.jpg
CC in the makings
IMG_20160227_175335.jpg
My first beer and My first weld
I wont show a picture of the actual weld... but by 11pm I was getting a little better!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 28th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I usually save the beers until my welding is done, works out better that way for me :welder:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 28th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Keep the beer cold! Just remember that only the rust colored pipe in your picture holds up to welding. I've found that the grey and white does not do well with heat.

Looks like a great start.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 2nd, 2016, 5:06 am

=))

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » March 2nd, 2016, 7:21 pm

I read cold beer....

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » March 3rd, 2016, 10:03 am

That PVC was for water and power from the house eventually this area will be a pergola, probably should have built the shade structure first now that i think about it.

Sorry its been so long since a post Work and School got a little hectic... damn mechanical drafting GDP tolerance this MMC LMC... all that garbage got washed a way with a few beers. I did however get to etch out a little work on the pit.

The lid is complete, minus hinges handle and counter weight, I can only think that 1/4" x 1 1/2" was a little heavy for the flanges. Correct me if i'm wrong but I shouldn't put the hinges on until I have the ribbon seal applied? Wanted to work on getting those cut and welded on next.
Optimized-IMG_20160302_132630.jpg
Pay no attention to the welds
I also have the rough cut for the Front face of the FIreBox with Throat cut out
IMG_20160302_132617.jpg
also FB needed to be ground down once I leveled it all up and put a laser on it. I guess some where my level strayed off a tad or maybe it was just operator error
Here are a few more pictures of my overall work so far.
FB and Cover.jpg
IMG_20160228_114850.jpg
IMG_20160302_132537.jpg
That's the start for the Log Holder Rack. I'm still in thought process of what to do for a Log Holder should I gut it out of my 4x8 sheet or use angle Iron and for a rectangle that fits in the FB door.....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also If you see any glaring errors please let me know

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 3rd, 2016, 10:57 pm

You are correct on installing the gasket before you install the hinges, you'll get a better seal doing it that way. I build a basket for my FB, I like to be able to keep my coals and wood in a tight pile. I build mine square but some of the guys build theirs narrow on the bottom to keep it tight.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 3rd, 2016, 11:40 pm

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » March 3rd, 2016, 11:50 pm

Strong Work!

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 4th, 2016, 9:07 pm

This is a nice one, I just added to my trailer rig.

I see I need a more recent pic.

Making memories.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 4th, 2016, 9:35 pm

Looks like you build is coming along very good. Great work....looks clean and well thought out.

Rodcrafter....nice firebox but I can't imagine you not putting an ash tray on it. Or is that just not on yet?

TexasSmoke

Post by TexasSmoke » March 5th, 2016, 8:45 am

Nice box I had something mind except I don't have any diamond plate probably going to try to make mine with the 1/4 plate i have was thinking of metal bar grating for the bottom but it seems a tad expensive. what size grating is that I'm concerned it may die on me prematurely. But, I suppose that part can be rebuilt and replaced. I have decided against an ash pan The complications of the build don't seem to be worth it.
Another side note my air intake will be made from 10 caps of the rod pipes I will use for legs. 5 on one side 5 on the other. still debating on what to use as dampers where i can control 5 on each side at the same time. I'm thinking something similar to a carburetor air scoop for performance engines, or a teardrop cover that's all interconnected. If anyone can point me to some images I can mimic with minimal skill I'd appreciate it.
I'll try to get some shots of my progress soon. as always any input is appreciated.