reverse flow baffle plate cracking

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
morgansdad
beginner
beginner
Title: Morgansdad
BBQ Comp Team Name: I am competing against myself which makes it hard to keep any secrets

reverse flow baffle plate cracking

Post by morgansdad » July 9th, 2016, 8:48 am

I built a reverse flow about 2 years ago and it has been in near constant use. I just had to do some warranty repairs because the baffle plate had cracked where the heat is really concentrated right at the firebox.I found that 7018 worked better than e70s6 wire because you cant get all the grease out.

I am now building a 22 foot center feed and aside from making the firebox out of 3/8 as well as the baffleplate I am running into a problem where the baffleplate is lower than the top of the firebox because of the throat size from the f.b. into the c.c. I had the same problem with the original cooker I built. I know this will be burning pretty much around the clock and repairs will be a p.i.a. when this rig is in its final resting spot.

so after all that the question is what are you guys doing to prevent the cracking? I know that it shouldnt crack if the fire is properly maintained but... I also know that the fire will get over built and it will be over heated. I also plan on lining the firebox internally with brick and I considered that when I did the firebox calc. plus building something inside the firebox that will force the operator to keep the fire in the middle of the box I believe that because the first one was trailer mounted plus the door was on the rear the fire would naturally gravitate toward the front of the box and intensify the heat near the throat.

I will see if I can figure out how to get some pictures on her for your amusement ( I keep thinking the football is going to pop)

Thanks Fellow Smoker Builders!

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: reverse flow baffle plate cracking

Post by forty_creek » July 9th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Sounds like too big of a fire, as you stated. During seasoning and tinkering my build, I added to much wood and she got HOT!!! One of the corners of FB/VC cracked. It sounded like a bomb. We looked all over for what made the sound later found the hairline crack.
If I am understanding you correctly your BP is lower than the top of the throat...I'm not able to explain how but that could be the problem. Choking down the heat flow in return heating the metal more than if it was at the top of the throat.
jm2cw... I'm just trolling the forum and being lazy enjoying the AC

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 9th, 2016, 12:29 pm

I think some pictures would really help. I'm having a hard time understanding how the BP is below the top of the FB. Did you cut the throat at the top of the FB, is your FB and CC round and you're using a rectangular throat ? If you're using a round FB and round CC, I think you should look at Pete's throat calculator and cut a football shaped throat. I could be misunderstanding what you're describing and that wouldn't be the first time.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 10th, 2016, 7:32 am

I agree that pics will help a lot.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

dportz87
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Member

Post by dportz87 » July 10th, 2016, 8:19 am

sounds like no room for expansion also, pictures please

do not second guess your self

morgansdad
beginner
beginner
Title: Morgansdad
BBQ Comp Team Name: I am competing against myself which makes it hard to keep any secrets

Post by morgansdad » July 10th, 2016, 9:52 am

I willtry to get some pictures on today